Ukraine Crisis | A statement from Cllr David Hitchiner, Leader of Herefordshire Council

Hereford Voice

I was coming into the Council Offices this morning listening to the news from Ukraine, reflecting on the statements being made nationally and wondering what response was appropriate from us in the Council.

We have real connections with Ukraine.

ukraine-flag.jpg.eccea0b91b956e3d1b914af05c74979d.jpg

For many years Herefordshire has relied upon workers from Eastern Europe, Ukraine included, to work here. Some have stayed and are bringing up their families here. Many of us travel internationally and might have visited Ukraine. We have a strong global presence in the security industry and there are workers from Herefordshire in Ukraine providing services.

Given the seriousness of war breaking out in Europe today for the first time in over 80 years It is appropriate for me, on behalf of the Council, to send a message of solidarity and sympathy to all democratically elected representatives of the government and of councils across Ukraine and to the people of Ukraine whom they all serve and represent.

The fabric and freedom of their society is under threat and our support, thoughts and prayers are with them all at this difficult and distressing time.

On behalf of the Council I want to reach out to Ukrainians living in our County. Our thoughts are with you and our residents who have friends and family in the region. If we are able to support you, please let us know.

#HerefordVoice | #HerefordNews | #Herefordshire

• 2 weeks later...

Just when you have been blown to **** and think it is a good idea to get to out of Ukraine maybe you could apply to come to the UK and safety. Dealing with our UK bureaubrats doesn't want to make it too easy and I suggest you would have more success getting in a dinghy on one of the regular crossings of the Channel.

Yeah but what’s her chance’s of getting a Visa for the UK?

https://youtu.be/tFY1sjEJkIk