Driving Lessons

Slim

Probably showing my age, but when I learnt to drive you were taught not to park on corners or opposite junctions. As I live on the test "Route", I am incensed by the sheer number of Driving Instructors who have their pupils pull up anywhere! Surely part of the Highway code is to have respect for other road users. People park where you cannot see round the corner and even facing the wrong way i.e.  towards oncoming traffic when they have to pull right out before they can see if the road is clear. Oh, and why can't people be taught that the spare stick on the steering wheel works those funny coloured lights on the corners of their car! 

From a grumpy old bloke who holds an Advanced Licence and HGV +C.

Slim, consider doing something about it and bring about a change. Something that'll make them drive elsewhere. Get yourself out of the house equipped with a large mallet or a lump hammer or, if you must, a bucket of paint stripper, and attack the bonnet of the car. Not the occupants lad. Just the engine area of this mechanically propelled vehicle. My guess is after you've thrown yourself on the bonnet, screamed loud and long enough for 'them' to conclude, 'he's a fu.c.king headbanger', they'll go and drive elsewhere.

Course, the consequences of your actions, and many might think, including me, that you've lost all self control and need Sectioning, will be that the Constable will likely be required to attend, taser you and drag you away from your home and loved ones because of your irrational response to a 'three point turn'.

You decide for yourself lad. It's up to you. I'd go for the lump hammer myself, but what do I know?  I'm just a mild mannered, not easily provoked, old fashioned traditionalist who's less imaginative than most.

Take care lad!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks Bobby,

I went to B & Q this afternoon and purchased said lump hammer. I've left the label on, so after a few attacks I'll take it back so nobody will know. Many thanks for the paint stripper idea but being safety minded, running out into the street dressed in a Tyvex suit, goggles, green wellies and periwinkle blue gloves would indeed bring on the sectioning that you mention. That said, a few days rest, three squares a day and a game of trumps with other inmates sounds somewhat appealing. 

Regards.

• Thumbs Up 1

You are not wrong, complete disregard for the highway code once the test has been passed. Try negotiating yourself past Madley primary school at pick p and drop off times, the standard of "parking" is shocking. Packed all the way up to the junction for Brampton road. Traffic wardens would have a field day (so would the police) with the parking violations

"Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park:

near a school entrance

anywhere you would prevent access for Emergency Services

at or near a bus or tram stop or taxi rank

on the approach to a level crossing/tramway crossing

opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space

near the brow of a hill or hump bridge

opposite a traffic island or (if this would cause an obstruction) another parked vehicle

where you would force other traffic to enter a tram lane

where the kerb has been lowered to help wheelchair users and powered mobility vehicles

in front of an entrance to a property

on a bend

where you would obstruct cyclists’ use of cycle facilities

except when forced to do so by stationary traffic."

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2018 at 19:24, Slim said:

Probably showing my age, but when I learnt to drive you were taught not to park on corners or opposite junctions. As I live on the test "Route", I am incensed by the sheer number of Driving Instructors who have their pupils pull up anywhere! Surely part of the Highway code is to have respect for other road users. People park where you cannot see round the corner and even facing the wrong way i.e.  towards oncoming traffic when they have to pull right out before they can see if the road is clear. Oh, and why can't people be taught that the spare stick on the steering wheel works those funny coloured lights on the corners of their car! 

From a grumpy old bloke who holds an Advanced Licence and HGV +C.

Part of the test can be the reverse around a corner. I would have thought pulling up somewhere near a corner would be the best way to start this manoeuvre