Hereford Drunks' 'Recovery Centre' To Open

Roger

Roger,

Why don't you get in touch with your former colleagues and/or the Street Pastors to find out the answers to your rhetorical questions?

My understanding is that this project is supported by Health and the WMAS.

Of course they support it! It's a benevolent 'fill in' measure as the money has run out for the established routes! I object to plugging gaps in essential services with free labour ... 

From the BBC website - think it would give me a clearer view of this subject if the Ambulance gave figures for alcohol related callouts

. Must add that a couple of years ago I went to the Doctor for my " old man checkup - passed with flying colours EXCEPT that Mrs U and I apparently binge drink - why - well - we thought that we were being good by only drinking alcohol at weekends , a bottle of wine on Saturday between us and similar on Sunday . Well ,apparently that is binge drinking !

West Midlands Ambulance Service has big callout rise

22 December 2014 Last updated at 16:37 GMT

About 6,500 emergency calls were made to West Midlands Ambulance Service at the weekend, making it one of the busiest of the year.

On Sunday it received more than 3,300 calls, compared with an average of 2,500 to 3,000 a day.

At peak times, the ambulance service said the number of 999 calls was double what it would expect.

Many of the calls were alcohol-related and assistant chief ambulance officer Steve Wheaton said there was "absolutely no doubt that people went out partying on Friday and Saturday night".

How drunk do you have to be for a barman to say no? Just 10 convictions for serving customers who have had too much

Britain’s binge-drinking culture is being fuelled by bar staff breaking the law to serve customers who are already drunk, it has been claimed.

Just 10 people were prosecuted last year for selling alcohol to someone who was intoxicated, official figures show.

242A13CD00000578-0-image-a-10_1419001130

Daily Mail

What I will say , as a person who has attended the University of Life is that the majority of people who have had an excessive amount of alcohol is that they do not feel the effect until they breath fresh air outside the pub - also , in my humble opinion the drunk is not going to the bar to purchase alcohol , it's their " mates " so really the Licensee do have a hard job to comply with their licence

Police Federation reply from the same paper - guess that it will be left to the Street Pasters !

Honestly believe that the Disordley Drunks should be dealt with more firmly by the Police - you only have to watch Britush Police fly on the wall TV programmes to see that the drunks actions and abusive behaviour in front of Police Officers appears quite acceptable to them . The majority of Drunk and Disordley people should not be at A and E but the Charge Room of a Police Stn .

I am a great believer in making self inflected drunks who finish up in A and E pay a fee for their self inflicted condition .

Responding to Dr Mann, the Police Federation of England and Wales told the Observer the suggestion was "simplistic" and would lead to an unrealistic drain on police time.

"Forces up and down the country regularly have campaigns to tackle drunk and disorderly behaviour," the chairman of the Police Federation - which represents rank and file officers - Steve White said.

"Alcohol is well known to be a contributory factor in incidents of disorder but it is a complex issue and a crackdown on troublesome drunks is too simplistic an answer," he added.

He said "hauling people through the courts isn't always the answer either".

"That takes valuable time and resources to process, not just for the police, but also as people go through the courts and criminal justice system."

Probably the incorrect post to put this on but .....it shows the way of the world at the moment .......

From the Sunday Telegraph

Leicestershire Police ebay account

It is, at the very least, a creative way to raise funds in straightened times.

A police force which says it wants to ensure that criminals do not benefit from their crimes made more than £270,000 this year selling seized goods on eBay, the online auction website.

Leicestershire Police auctioned sports cars, computers and designer jewellery and clothing paid for with the proceeds of crime.

The force’s sales included an Aston Martin DB9 for £63,000, an Audi A5 for £29,500 and a Range Rover for £15,500.

A Rolex watch sold for more than £13,000 while a Frank Sinatra autograph was bought for £260.

Police Federation reply from the same paper - guess that it will be left to the Street Pasters !

Honestly believe that the Disordley Drunks should be dealt with more firmly by the Police - you only have to watch Britush Police fly on the wall TV programmes to see that the drunks actions and abusive behaviour in front of Police Officers appears quite acceptable to them . The majority of Drunk and Disordley people should not be at A and E but the Charge Room of a Police Stn .

I am a great believer in making self inflected drunks who finish up in A and E pay a fee for their self inflicted condition .

Responding to Dr Mann, the Police Federation of England and Wales told the Observer the suggestion was "simplistic" and would lead to an unrealistic drain on police time.

"Forces up and down the country regularly have campaigns to tackle drunk and disorderly behaviour," the chairman of the Police Federation - which represents rank and file officers - Steve White said.

"Alcohol is well known to be a contributory factor in incidents of disorder but it is a complex issue and a crackdown on troublesome drunks is too simplistic an answer," he added.

He said "hauling people through the courts isn't always the answer either".

"That takes valuable time and resources to process, not just for the police, but also as people go through the courts and criminal justice system."

Here is another view from a person at a 'thinktank' ... From the same article ...

Katherine Brown, director of the Institute of Alcohol Studies thinktank, said: “Before addressing individual drinkers it’s important to begin by tackling the problem at the source, making it less easy to access cheap strong drink in supermarkets at all hours. This means minimum pricing and restricted licensing hours. This also means dealing with the issue of serving to drunks, which is against the law but rarely enforced.

Observer

I don't buy into the argument that cheap supermarket wine and beer is causing the 2 or 3 AM attendances at the flop house on Gaol Street or Hereford A+E ... There may have been some early evening 'pre-loading' at home but these people will have then gone into town and ended up in their sorry state by drinking late at the pubs or Clubs. And the stats reveal that Countrywide that issue is being ignored. 

Roger Roger Roger.

I would suggest that many 18-25's like to have a drink, its a right of passage, its part of growing up.

Once you reach later life - many people will have a bottle of wine when they get home from work - in fact - there are studies to say that these people in their 30s are the biggest problem drinkers. However - its easier as we all get older to "point at those younguns" and say - they are the problem and those pubs and clubs cause it.

Its a little like the UKIP thing - and this is where Russel Brand is right - Johnny Foreigner is the problem with this country - not the bankers or the people at the top being greedy. Us in the cheap seats just swallow it all up.

So - back to drinking - many many people over induldge and get themselves into difficulities on occasion. It happens to us all - doesnt mean the pubs and clubs are the problem, just simply "**** happens" sometimes.

I note that Warwickshire Police seized a drug dealers house and sold it for £130000 , they distributed the money to local Warwickshire Charities , the Street Pastors of Nuneaton , Leamington Spa and Stratford on Avon each. received a £1000 .

That's so good , hopefully similar money will be given to the local group.

This also proves that crime does not always pay .