Remembering Dave Benjamin

SON OF GRIDKNOCKER

It is almost four years ago that the popular local fishmonger Dave Benjamin died suddenly.  He was widely admired throughout Hereford as a doughty city and county councillor (he represented St Nicholas Ward); he was a vocal Chairman of the Butter Market Traders Association; and at his memorial service at Hereford Cathedral it was 'standing room only'.  Something even the Blessed Diana didn't achieve.

So the Butter Market traders clubbed together and commissioned a modest commemorative plaque, which was duly affixed to the market building's back wall, at the closest possible point to Dave's fish stall - which mercifully (thanks to the stolid Jason) is managing to surive against all that Messrs Morrison and Waitrose are throwing at it.  But try to find the Benjamin plaque today. 

In its wisdom, Herefordshire Council has approved the installation of an ugly Tardis-like cash dispenser, alongside the back door to the Butter Market, placed just 8" away from the modest Benjamin Memorial!

When Adrian Blackshaw was having his turn at messing up running the ESG debacle, a friend asked him if a statue commemorating John Venn could be erected as part of the proposal - his response? Who's he? Says it all really. On reflection, the good Rev Venn would spin in his St Peter's grave to be stuck in the middle of such a godless temple of consumption.

On the subject of art, commercial developments are encouraged to provide '1% for art', so at £90m, can anyone tell me where the £900k of artwork is on the OLM please? Or any artwork … at all? Did someone whisper Debenhams signs ...

Dave Benjamin was my ward councillor. Hugely likeable, and much missed.

I am truly saddened by this news GK. It shows a complete lack of thought, and a lot of disrespect.

I would hope that this situation can, and will, be rectified.