Unitary Authority

Robert Preece

I will be calling it a day come Election Day in May. I was first elected in 1992 for the old St. Martins Ward on the City Council, those were the days of Hereford & Worcester when Hereford Councillors made decisions for the city unlike now. As a member on Herefordshire Council and the City Parish Council I have found the last four years very frustrating to say the least. On Herefordshire Council unless you are in the ruling group you have almost no say in major work in the county and attempting to get items for constituents sorted is almost impossible. Yes there has been massive cuts in grants from the Goverment but could this money we did receive been spent on alternative projects. I have always attempted to leave politics out of the way I have voted over the years and did support items from all groups on the Council even when I stood as a Labour candidate.

Thanks for the votes over the years.

PS My wife Maureen is going to stand in South Wye for the City Council, as readers will know there are no allowances or expenses on this Parish Council.

PPS Colin can you please remove Councillor from my name on May 7th then I can join other writers but will use my name.

Morning Robert!

Thanks for taking the time to post this, and explain your reasons for deciding not to stand again. I can only imagine the frustration you have felt over the past four years. Hopefully come May 7th, the Conservatives which have held the reigns for so long in Hereford will be no more.

I wish you well.

Morning Bob and thank you for clarifying your position, which I totally understand. I for one am sorry to see you standing down but I wish your wife Maureen the very best of luck in her campaign. I hope to see her as a new Councillor and member here soon!  :Winky: I will also look forward to your future contributions here on HV.

Bob , I do not live on your patch but I know residents that do , they have spoken highly of you , that's a very good reference . I am sure that Mrs P wil do an excellent job on the City Council ( with your guidance , if allowed ? Now and again ) .

Well done Fellow Veteran - now that you have spare time ! Consider help us staff the SSAFA Help Desk on a Tuesday 1000 -1400, will only call on you about every 6 weeks . Message me if interested , David ( TRBL , War Memorial Trust etc ) .