Graffiti In Belmont Now!

Colin James

You gotta feel for the Polish people who's nationality is being used as a focal point of this issue. Where I live in the City the Polish people are in a minority in terms of EU migrants settling. My neighbourhood has lots of Romanians, Bulgarians, Russians, Lithuanians, Ukrainians and lots of other nationalities. There are very few Polish people.

I actually think and I may be completely wrong, that the focus falls upon the Polish people, obviously because a lot have settled in Hereford, but mainly because they are very hardworking, industrious and of course very business minded which means that the Polish people are at the forefront of this thinking. Shops and small businesses spring up in the name of Polish people who are trying for a new life and they become the target of this unsettling view that is becoming very worrying.

That said, this problem ain't going to go away and our communities and Council Leaders have to start talking and addressing this issue.

I'd like to see people coming together via football, music, politics and a joint feeling that all love living in Hereford and we all want to see it prosper. Dialogue is most definitely the answer. I spend a lot of time in the pubs. Alas, more time than I should spend drinking but, we all talk to oneanother. Me and the other local lads chat away to lots of people from Poland and other Countries and we discuss these issues and exchange views. None of us disagree. We are all friends and we enjoy one another's company discussing anything and everything. In my case is mostly drivel and tripe but nonetheless it's talking and getting to know another person and the views they hold.

As I have said before my Fiancee is Polish, she just thinks it's quite sad and just laughs, it does not really bother her. What bothers her more is that people are that ignorant that they just assume every European person they see or hear they assume is Polish, when in fact most of the time they are either Romanian,Latvia, Lithuanian or from Portugal or in some cases even Russian.