Have your say on how traffic regulations are enforced

Hereford Voice

Herefordshire Council is asking residents for their views on the introduction of measures to enforce moving traffic regulations.

road_commonplace_1.thumb.jpg.260d0c66bf67d881efc3efe096a9db9c.jpg

This includes stopping in yellow boxes at junctions, ignoring no-entry signs, making banned turns, contravening ‘access only’ routes and parking on yellow zig-zag lines outside schools.

Traffic regulations act to make the roads safer for all users and to help keep traffic flowing in busy areas.

Changes in Government legislation (implementation in full of Part 6 of the Traffic Management Act 2004) mean that councils in England will have control of enforcement powers for moving traffic contraventions, previously held by the police. Measures to enforce moving traffic regulations include the installation of cameras and the issuing of penalty notices.Councillor John Harrington, Cabinet member transport and infrastructure said: 

“Road safety for all users, however they travel, is a key concern. Traffic regulations help make roads a safer environment and enable traffic to flow freely. They help increase safety for example by preventing stopping on zig zag lines outside of schools and driving up streets the wrong way, and help traffic flow better by preventing blocking at key junctions.

“We would like to hear from all residents, whether they drive, cycle or walk, for their feedback on driver behaviour and the areas in our towns and City where better enforcement of traffic regulations may be needed.”

To view the consultation, let us know more about the impact of driver behaviour, and for views on proposed locations for camera enforcement, please visit our website at: www.herefordshire.gov.uk/moving-traffic-consultation

I've had a look but won't waste my time responding - it's a non-consultation like so many others, I've no doubt the plan is already in place and ready to go. It looks the Government have handed councils a licence to print money in fines, as what few Police we have simply can't be bothered to impose any motoring law. Cue lots of cameras for automated fine collection and an assumption that you are guilty unless you can somehow prove otherwise. Having been on the receiving end of fines from a London Council for motoring offences by a car with cloned number plate of my plate, I can tell you that is next to impossible.