Driver of car involved in collisions with gritting lorry say he can't believe he is alive

Hereford Voice

The driver of the Volkswagen that was involved in a collision with a Monmouthshire Council gritting lorry over the weekend has written to us saying he cannot believe he is still alive!

135442948_776102349783694_4924680266832518851_n.jpg.277cdad346e82e9896c9cf4dcbbc3314.jpg

Billy Gurney was travelling near Grosmont when the accident happened.

He wrote

"I was the driver of the Volkswagen I can't believe I'm alive"

Billy later explained to us today what had happened..

In an exclusive interview with Hereford Voice today the driver of the Volkswagen which was involved in a collision with a Monmouthshire Council gritter lorry over the weekend said

"he was lucky to be alive"

William (Billy) Gurney explained to us today what had happened..

He was travelling home and got stuck going up the hill, his car started sliding all over the place so he stopped with his hazards on, he looked up and saw a large HGV vehicle coming toward him with amber flashing lights, clearly the driver of the HGV hadn't seen him initially and Billy said that he feared for his life, he said

I was beeping my horn and shouting and screaming.

Once he had got the lorry drivers attention it was too late, the driver tried breaking but just slid towards him. The gritter lorry driver tried to put the lorry into the hedge in an attempt to avoid a collision but it was too late and the lorry overturned and landed on my bonnet he said.

Billy thought this was it and he was about to be seriously injured or even lose his life, he blacked out for a few seconds and was relieved to have survived the ordeal and walk away unharmed.

Thankfully there was no casualties and both drivers survived.

Our original article can be found here https://hfd.news/k1b