Cllr. Paul Rone 'Seek Before You Speak'

Colin James

• 4 weeks later...
On 17/03/2019 at 23:11, Martin Cassini said:

With regard to a traffic lights-off trial - to show that congestion improves and courtesy thrives when people are free to use their inner lights - if things are organised properly, we won't need pedestrian lights, because pedestrians will enjoy equality with other road-users. 

Preparation for a citywide trial will communicate a shift in the balance of power: away from the motorist, and in favour of the vulnerable road-user (where power rightly belongs). If anything, pedestrians will be "more equal than others".

Vulnerable road-users include side-road drivers because, like pedestrians and children, they are demoted and neglected under the current anti-social system of priority. See my website, Equality Streets, for more on this.

Given equality, the only justification for lights is at multi-lane intersections at peak times. Otherwise, in the absence of a bridge or flyover, let all junctions - and streets for that matter - be all-way give-ways. Universal benefits include a transformation in road safety, air quality and quality of life. 

I'm looking for a city to go traffic light-free for a possible TV series. It will take care of the public engagement elements. 

Councillors: there are no liability issues. I have chapter and verse on that.

Given a willing city and a TV series, Hereford could pioneer a peaceful revolution and be an example to the world.

Sad note. Ben Hamilton-Baillie died recently of cancer.

In later years, Ben ditched his own term, "shared space", in favour of "low-speed environments", partly because shared space is often confused with shared surfaces. We agreed on most things to do with traffic, diverging only on one point: Ben thought street redesign on its own could bring about the desired behaviour change from aggression to cooperation. I always thought it should be combined with a change in the basic rule of the road - from priority to equality - along with a new driving test, legal reform, culture change and re-education.

Martin Cassini

Thank you Martin 

• Like 1