Violette SZABO GC

Ubique

Ladies and Gentlemen,  ( Copied from SSAFA Herefordshire circulation to its members)

The annual event in memory of Violette Szabo GC will be held in Womelow this coming Sunday, 24 June. Many of you will be aware of the bravery in World War 2 of this remarkable young lady. She volunteered to join the SOE to work behind enemy lines, was parachuted into France in 1944 but was captured later that year. She was exceuted in Ravensbrusk concentration camp in February 1945, aged just 23. She was awareded a posthumous GC for her bravery.

She had family connections to Wormelow, and a small museum has been set up there in her memory. Every year near her birthday there is an event in the village, attended by civic dignitaries and members of the public, to commemorate her life and work. 

This year the event will meet at The Park, Wormelow (opposite the garage next to the Tump Inn) at 13.30. Their will be a small parade of RBL banners etc which will move off to the Musem nearby at 13.40. 

All are welcome to attend this event, which clearly has strong military and local connections. 

I hope to attend as this brave woman has long been one of my heroines.

At the time that the Old Market development was being planned by ESG Ltd - and years before a brick was laid - I wrote to the development company's chief executive with the suggestion that a statue of Violette Szabo should be commissioned by Herefordshire Council, and that part of the scheme should be called Szabo Square. I never even received a reply! To the best of my knowledge there is a small bronze head-and-shoulders of her located somewhere on the London Embankment, near Lambeth Palace.

If HC would care to reconsider my suggestion, I would happily make a contribution to a Memorial Fund.

• 2 weeks later...