Jump to content

Hereford FC Secure Place in FA Trophy Final at Wembley

Recommended Posts

Hereford FC have booked their place in the FA Trophy Final at Wembley with a 1-0 victory against National League side Woking at Edgar Street today.


Joey Butlin was the hero as his 21st minute header fired the Bulls into the showpiece final against Isthmian Premier Division side Hornchurch who beat Notts County on penalties.

Josh Gowling made no changes to the side that won at Aldershot in the Quarter Finals last month but new signing Maziar Kouhyar was named amongst the substitutes. 

With so much at stake it was a nervy opening to the game with neither side able to keep hold of possession and build any attacking momentum.

Woking threatened first when the towering Moussa Diarra wastefully headed over the bar when well-placed after being expertly picked put by Jamar Loza’s teasing cross.

French defender Diarra came to his sides rescue with two vital blocks to deny Tom Owen-Evans certain goals after good work down the left by Michael Bakare and Lewis Butroid.

The crucial moment came when Butlin deftly guided his header past the despairing dive of Woking ‘keeper Craig Ross from Bakare’s pinpoint cross for his first goal for the club.

The Bulls continued to press forward and piled on the pressure with a series of dangerous Chris Camwell set pieces causing panic among the Cards defence.

After seeing little action in the early stages birthday boy Brandon Hall remained alert to maintain The Whites lead when he produced a smart save to palm away Sam Ashford’s low drive.

Versatile forward Bakare came close to adding second just before half-time when he cut in from the wing before firing in a left footed shot which was pushed wide by Ross.

Defensive lynchpin Jamie Grimes almost made it a perfect start to the second half when he powerfully met Camwell’s corner but Ross did well to punch clear.

The Bulls survived a major scare on the hour when Ashford nodded into the empty net after Hall failed to claim Charlie Cooper’s free kick but it was ruled out for offside.

Hereford looked to make the most of the let off with Owen-Evans playing in Bakare whose goal-bound shot was blocked by Diarra before Butroid volleyed the follow up wide.

More chances to kill the tie off came and went when Owen-Evans drive was beaten away by Ross before Kyle Finn blazed the rebound over the bar after a poor clearance by Diarra.

Butlin should have put the game to bed with seven minutes remaining when he beat the offside trap to race in on goal but a poor touch allowed the grateful Ross to recover.

Three times Trophy winners Woking brought on forwards Jonte Smith, Malachi Napa and Niko Muir as well as pushing Diarra into an auxiliary striker as they looked for a way back.

But the Bulls stayed resolute with Grimes and Luke Haines putting their bodies on the line to produce vital blocks late on while Hall stood strong to claim a number of dangerous high balls.

Deep into stoppage time Woking had one last chance to equalise when the unmarked Diarra was picked out at the back post but he blazed his shot wildly over the bar.

The Bulls held on to secure their place under the famous arch with the FA Trophy Final against Hornchurch scheduled to take place on Saturday 22nd May.

Source Hereford FC

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Hereford Voice changed the title to Hereford FC Secure Place in FA Trophy Final at Wembley

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...