Alister Walshe to step down as Chair and Trustee of St Michael’s Hospice

Hereford Voice

Alister Walshe has announced he is stepping down as Chair and Trustee of St Michael’s Hospice. 

EttfAawXAAA8tiF.thumb.jpeg.ea52a22d2ce5fd6349f627c37e15418b.jpeg

Mr Walshe has been involved with the Bartestree-based charity for over 17 years but says the time has come to hand over to someone else.

‘Like many people, I didn’t really know what St Michael’s did until a close friend needed the hospice,’ he said.

‘I was so amazed by the level of professionalism, care and compassion shown to my friend in his last few months that I wanted to give something back.  I wanted to help make sure other people would get this vital support too.’

Mr Walshe started offering his experience as a volunteer in the gardens and then became a Trustee.  For the last 11 years he’s been the Chair of the Trustees.

‘It’s been an absolute privilege to hold this position at a charity that is respected not only across Herefordshire but also much further afield,’ he said.

Mr Walshe, who owns Hereford-based estate agency Stooke Hill & Walshe, said so many people help to make the Hospice a success. 

‘We have 1,000 fantastic volunteers who each give up their time to help a cause so close to their hearts, and over 200 staff. I can’t thank them enough for their commitment and dedication.

‘The last year has been especially challenging, but everyone at St Michael’s has stepped up to keep our services going for the people that need them, which leaves me bursting with pride.

‘Trusteeship is an important volunteer role and I think it’s important that new people join the board to bring fresh ideas and perspectives to ensure St Michael’s continues its fantastic work.

‘Although I’ll miss the role, I plan to stay involved and help in other ways – wherever I’m needed.’

Mr Walshe’s successor will be announced by the end of March.

Mike Keel, the Hospice’s Chief Executive, said the Chairman leaves big boots to fill.

‘Everybody in Herefordshire seems to know Alister and this has been one of his greatest assets in getting St Michael’s more widely known.  We’re obviously sad he’s stepping down, but he should be hugely proud of what’s been achieved during his tenure,’ said Mr Keel.

‘During his time as Chairman, Alister has overseen a great many changes, the two most significant are the expansion of the buildings and the introduction of the Hospice at Home service, which has just celebrated its fifth birthday.  More than twice as many people are now supported by St Michael’s than when he took over.’

The Volunteers and staff wish him well and look forward to hearing who his successor is.