Jesse hails new Government Action Plan for the River Wye

Local MP Jesse Norman, who has led the campaign to Clean Up the River Wye for over three years, has today hailed the publication of the Government's new Action Plan for the River Wye.

RiverWye2024.thumb.jpg.0be19a87c020e4ac925c6b9b6ed9ec51.jpg

The plan, with £35 million of new funding, sets out a wide range of measures to address phosphate pollution and other environmental impacts on the Wye.

And in a crucial development, the Government has appointed well-known local resident and former Ross-on-Wye Councillor and MEP Anthea McIntyre as a new River Champion for the Wye.

Commenting, Jesse said:

"I have been campaigning for an Action Plan and  joined-up approach to cleaning up the River Wye for over three years now, and this is a potential turning point for the river. I am especially pleased that the Action Plan recognises the brilliant efforts of volunteer groups up and down the river.

"At the Shell Store meeting in 2022 we laid out what was needed: a properly funded single collective long-term effort bringing everyone together. And I reiterated the importance of this approach at our meeting with the previous DEFRA Secretary of State last June. 

"Now the Government has delivered on its side, with a larger package than anyone expected, which is fantastic. The challenge is now for us all -- including farmers, Welsh Water, Herefordshire Council, wildlife and environmental groups -- working with the new River Champion, to respond quickly and decisively to make it happen."