Death factories spread over Herefordshire

mikefitz

I bet the Hereford Times will gloss over the dark threat to Herefordshire from dark chicken death camps.  The article in the Guardian reminds us of the relationship with our council and the disgusting way we treat our animals.  I quote a short extract but please find time to read the whole article:

http://www.monbiot.com/2015/05/19/fowl-deeds/

The dust such operations raise is an exquisite compound of aerialised faeces, chicken dander, mites, bacteria, fungal spores, mycotoxins, endotoxins, veterinary medicines, pesticides, ammonia and hydrogen sulphide. It is listed as a substance hazardous to health, and helps explain why 15% of poultry workers suffer from chronic bronchitis. Yet, uniquely in Europe, the British government classifies unfiltered roof vents on poultry sheds as the “best available technologyâ€. If this were any other industry, it would be obliged to build a factory chimney to disperse the dust and the stink. But farming, as ever, is protected by deference and vested interest, excused from the regulations, planning conditions and taxes other business must observe. Already, Herefordshire County Council has approved chicken factories close to schools, without surveying the likely extent of the dust plumes either before or after the business opens. Bage Court Farm is just upwind of the village of Dorstone.

The title's a bit harsh, don't you think?   However, yes these are mass producers. If you can afford free range chicken and eggs, fine. Buy them. A lot of people cannot, and so rely on cheaper cuts of meat. And as to the spread of disease, the best place to catch something is our local hospital. I live within smelling distance of Sun Valley. OK, sometimes it's a little off putting, but think of the people they employ. The economic value to Hereford. Protest if you must, it's your right to, but think of others as well. The poultry industry provides a living to a lot of people. You may think intensive farming is wrong, so ,surprisingly, do I. However, if the population needs feeding and the fields need fertilising, then unless there is an alternative, provide it, don't moan. Sir.