Biomech

A couple of thoughts...

Firstly wasn't there talk recently about changing the bin collection to fortnightly? Well I put out my bins this week, one from a week and one from 4 days, and they were dripping with maggots. The bins are sealed, so it must have been one rogue fly as I'm very careful about that because I can't stand the smell, maggots or flies. Needless to say the smell was repulsive. And this is on weekly collections, surely it's not a good idea to change to fortnightly? We're going to end up with streets piled with rotting flesh and maggots like the Victorian times..... what is it with the city and going backwards?

The second observation was that the bins are generally collected after 10am, yet at around 9am, what sounded like, a road sweeper goes around the streets. Surely it would be better to send the sweeper around AFTER the bins have been collected as they often have burst contents or windswept rubbish that has been left behind.

Yes there was talk of having a bin collection the same time as the recycling, but so many people complained it has not been implimented but it could be. Don't know where you live but the road sweeper comes every Monday morning in Newton Farm around 8.30am, our refuse is collected on a Tuesday

Ah that's good to hear. I think the biggest issue with fortnightly is that we all use the green bins now, so the black backs are largely old food and meat which doesn't last long before it starts rotting!

I must confess, I was in bed at the time, it sounded like a road sweeper but might have been something else :P But that's good to know as well.

I must say, this BV is great, you ask a question and some one in the know answers. Fantastic!

Prior to retiring and moving back to this area we lived and worked in South Devon , in 1995 after a lot of hue and cry the Council issued suitable area two wheelie bins , one green for recycling the other black for household waste. The bins were collected/emptied on alternative weeks . I must say that we never had a problem with smell , seagull / unban fox attacks etc. as we did pre wheelie bins .Within a short period of time householders were praising the Council for this initiative. There are , of course locations where this type of collection is unsuitable.

Road sweeper every Monday morning! If only ... our road (in St James) hasn't been swept for over 12 months. A complaint to the cabinet member resulted in a statement from Amey that it is swept on a monthly basis. Straight lie. They may be charging for that, but they sure as aren't doing it. In fact, the community association monitored it over a 2 month period and not a single road was swept in that time.

Well instead of the road sweeper coming around Belmont and Newton Farm on a Monday, it would make more sense as Biomech has mentioned to come AFTER the refuse has been collected, so ideally, Tuesday afternoon or better still on the Wednesday or Thursday.

We have a big problem with sea gulls and cats ripping open black bags and although the bin men carry brooms on their lorry, I am yet to see them used, I say this because last week they just took the rubbish and left the chicken carcass and used tea bags on the roadside from my neighbour.

I like the idea of black Wheelie Bins for household waste, this would stop the cat and sea gull problem! :Cool_32: 

My house is in a wind corner where every one elses rubbish gets blown into and stuck :(

I have a black bin for my household waste, because of the smell. It's sealed and effectively does what the council ones mentioned would do. But like I say, it takes one fly to get in and thats the end of it. The flies even lay their maggot eggs along the rim of the bin and they crawl in before they get too big :(

Years ago all households were issued with a galvanised bin which eventually was replaced by a black plastic bin, when mine fell apart after many years use I was told by the housing association 'you have to replace it yourself' which I did. Some areas still do not have a recycle bin because of where they live and are still using the white and mauve plastic bags

Thanks for the link Victor I hope everyone takes a look at the picture and never agrees to black bins! Is this what people want ? Am I the only one who thinks these bins are ruining our streets and once pretty front gardens? They do not look nice as a focal point in your front garden and as the picture clearly shows more than one will look even worse than they do now! Bags get ripped open because most people put them out the night before because they don't want to get up early in the morning to put them out. The bins attract flies and vermin because people never clean them trust me if we get black bins they will start to smell and you will see a lot more flies and other vermin. Please look at the picture posted by Victor and whatever you do don't vote for black bins!

I also disagree with Colin sorry Colin but if people put their refuse out the night before collection and a cat rips open the bag and drags it all over the street. Do you really think that's the collectors fault and their responsibility to clean up? According to the Council the men will only clean up within a metre of the bags they collect. If my bag was ripped open I would clear the mess myself I would not want the men to pick it up for me. They are after all paid to collect the bags it's not their fault the bags get ripped open.

In Sherborne Close some residents still put their black bags out Thursday evening onwards for a collection the following Tuesday. This problem has been ongoing for 2 years (see past post here) The bags sitting in the road are sometimes split by cats and dogs and I cannot understand why Herefordshire Housing does get some big bins to put the bags in. There is still a lot of debris fly tipped behind the electric sub station and in it. The big problem is no one from the Housing Associations, Herefordshire Council/Amey is walking around and seeing these things.