Newton Farm Ward and your choice of Independent candidates.

bobby47

If you live within the Newton Farm Ward and you want to vote Independent, your choice is the mighty Glenda Vaughan Powell or the less than insignificant Phillip Edwards.

Having met our Glenda and sat behind Phil at the infamous Kindle Centre meeting where one Amanda Martin emerged and verbally slaughtered Johnson and Morgan, I know which one I'd vote for.

It'd be that formidable woman Glenda Vaughan Powell. Yes, I'd vote for our Glenda. If any Councillor deserves loyalty and reward for all the horrid things that can tip your life upside down its Glenda.

Despite her recent health problems and despite being reported to the Council Standards Committee because some of her colleagues became jealous of her success, this battle and brawler has emerged from the bad times and is still fighting and doing her very best for her constituents.

Then you've got Phil a man who once said to his drinking buddy whilst I was hid beneath their table eavesdropping in on their private conversation I had no business listening in on, 'I bloody hate my constituents' and a man who's income is supplemented playing Widow Twanky thrice weekly at the Birmingham Hippodrome.

I know which one I'd vote for. Glenda Vaughan Powell, and anyone who thinks differently disagrees with me and places far to much emphasis on Phils ability to apply foundation cream and red blusher to his face whilst trying to convince five hundred schoolchildren that he's a girlie and worth another run starring in Aladdin!

Nice one bobby47, Phil Edwards has told me lies and is certainly not a man of his word from my experience! He offered a letter of support for our traffic lights out campaign from the Mayors office when he was Mayor and when I asked for it, guess what... 

This is the man that want's to have tree's all the way down the centre of the Belmont Road, and in my opinion could not careless where the people who live in the houses on the left side (approaching the city after the iron bridge) park their cars!

He also claims in his campaign leaflet to have "Gained new street surfacing and repairs in Newton Farm" - I think you might find that that was down to CVP! But hey, I could be wrong. I have attached part of CVP's news letter from last December, see the bottom left section and you will see who was actually responsible, the Councillor who has been the backbone of Newton Farm for over 12 years. There is also a lovely section where Glenda has thanked the constiuents of Belmont and Hunderton and still offered to give advice and support after the ward changes, which speaks volumes.

Phil Edwards has recently moved to Newton Farm from Belmont and goes up against a fellow Independent, nice so now they could loose 2 candidates... 

GVP.jpg

Part of CVP December Newsletter - Read the bottom left section on road surfaces/repairs

I echo the comments made by Bobby47.

Voting for Glenda Vaughan Powell is a no brainer! If you want a quick response to a problem, someone who will lock horns with the opposition and who is not afraid to say it how it is, then yes Cllr Vaughan Powell is the person you vote for.

Cllr Edwards by comparison is not the person you want leading you into battle, no ones gonna take him seriously in that dress when he rides into the town hall on his precious bike waving his crash helmet shouting 'on no he didn't'!

Good luck Cllr Vaughan Powell!

This is Cllr. Phil Edwards campaign leaflet.  :Hmm:

So what exactly is an unsubstantiated website? He wouldn't be referring to HV would he? :tongue_32:  Maybe he is having a pop at CVP's website...

I love the opening statement, I nearly choked on my coffee.

A LIAR AND DID NOT KEEP TO HIS WORD!

PE1.jpg

PE3.jpg

PE-1.jpg

There is another insert but there are far too many photographs of himself for my liking, so I will leave that one out. 

This is Cllr. Phil Edwards campaign leaflet.  :Hmm:

So what exactly is an unsubstantiated website? He wouldn't be referring to HV would he? :tongue_32:  Maybe he is having a pop at CVP's website...

I love the opening statement, I nearly choked on my coffee.

A LIAR AND DID NOT KEEP TO HIS WORD!

post-109-0-45594400-1429385718.jpg

post-109-0-31436600-1428749796_thumb.jpg

post-109-0-02259500-1428749809_thumb.jpg

There is another insert but there are far too many photographs of himself for my liking, so I will leave that one out. 

I do not like the man, he loves his self too much and is a glory hunter. I agree with both bobby and Colin, CVP gets my vote.

Ooh!

An "unsubstantiated website"......???? Which one COULD he mean????

Strange that, because if he IS referring to HV, he's had the past four years to get involved with his constituents via this medium!

Glenda has a proven track record.

If I lived in her ward, she would definitely get my vote.

And just let Phil pop round here, bang on my window and demand that I be less critical of his role and I'll tell him, 'clear off. Your days as the Pantomime Dame are numbered and as far as I'm concerned I won't rest until you become the 'ar.se' end of the Pantomime Horse in this years Puss In Boots at the Courtyard here in Hereford.'

And just let Phil pop round here, bang on my window and demand that I be less critical of his role and I'll tell him, 'clear off. Your days as the Pantomime Dame are numbered and as far as I'm concerned I won't rest until you become the 'ar.se' end of the Pantomime Horse in this years Puss In Boots at the Courtyard here in Hereford.'

Remember the Mayor Vs Widow Twankey photo's bobby? ha ha 

post-114-0-74873600-1428754592.jpg  post-114-0-88323200-1428754604.jpg

Yes Frankie, I remember that very well. It was I who captured this image. Most troubling for me and many of his constituents was he was sneaking around in my back garden when I photographed him, which given he was fifty two miles from the stage of the Hippodrome, it begs the bloody question, how did he know where I bloody lived.

The thing about Glenda is that over the years many of us have questioned, criticized, prodded and poked (and praised where praise is due!)...... yet she ALWAYS gets on here, and does her best to answer.

It's this willingness to engage which has really earned my respect.

It's no mean feat, jumping into this forum, and leaving yourself wide open.... yet time and time again over the past four years, we have seen that Glenda is one of only a handful of Councillors, prepared to do this regularly.

Colin has sent invitations to ALL councillors, making them aware of this forum, and urging them to get involved..... deciding not to  join has been their choice. Well now it's OUR choice Let's all make ones that will benefit Hereford as a whole.

Glenda does what it says on the tin.

I don't always agree with her, but I cannot fault her commitment to her ward and her constituents.

We need to use these elections to hang on to the good ones..... sort the wheat from the chaff.

A vote for Glenda would be a great start for the residents of Newton Farm.

The thing about Glenda is that over the years many of us have questioned, criticized, prodded and poked (and praised where praise is due!)...... yet she ALWAYS gets on here, and does her best to answer.

It's this willingness to engage which has really earned my respect.

It's no mean feat, jumping into this forum, and leaving yourself wide open.... yet time and time again over the past four years, we have seen that Glenda is one of only a handful of Councillors, prepared to do this regularly.

Colin has sent invitations to ALL councillors, making them aware of this forum, and urging them to get involved..... deciding not to  join has been their choice. Well now it's OUR choice Let's all make ones that will benefit Hereford as a whole.

Glenda does what it says on the tin.

I don't always agree with her, but I cannot fault her commitment to her ward and her constituents.

We need to use these elections to hang on to the good ones..... sort the wheat from the chaff.

A vote for Glenda would be a great start for the residents of Newton Farm.

Ditto 

I have never met Cllr Glenda nor can I vote for her , only because I do not live on her patch , I know that as others have done I have disagreed with her , but it's a free world and we are all entitled to different views - it's the way we say opinions - I believe that I am respectful when I type my opinions and I have always found Cllr Glenda to be the same .

Cllr Glenda , if I lived on your patch I would vote for you - I wish you every success in your dreams , good health always.xx

I had an alleged 'manager' called Phil Edwards in my last job. If he could have located the ar.se end of a pantomime horse, never mind climbed inside it and ran around cursing, sweating and losing two and a half stone over a Christmas season, it would have been an effing miracle.

GVP it is then.

Can I just ask a technical question of all you political pundits?

I think it is grossly unfair that in the rearrangement of ward boundaries, the powers-that-be saw fit to put two existing councillors up head-to-head to contest a single seat. And what reallyt baffles me (this is the question bit coming up now) is why the council's Election Officer chose to label former-Councillor Edwards as an indie and poor old Glenda as 'unattached'? 'Unattached' implies homeless and without direction, which, in GVP's circumstances, is far from the case!

On the other hand, I suppose being labelled a Herefordshire Independent is a bit of a back-handed compliment, since it says in brackets: "Willing to do the bidding of Bob Matthews and His Eminence Pope Sebastian Bowen".

GVP on 7 May!

Does anyone know where Newton Farm ward ends and Belmont Rural begins? I thought Cllr Edwards was responsible for Belmont and Cllr Powell Newton Farm and they were separate wards? Is there a boundary map of ward areas? Cllr Powell and Cllr Edwards are not the only candidates for the Newton Farm Ward so it's not simply a choice between the two. Who exactly carves up the City into Wards and what's the criteria?

You can find maps of the ward boundaries on the Council's website as is the list of candidates (also elsewhere on here)

It was the Boundary Commission who revised the ward boundaries and the rationale is on their website

Far better in my view that we have only one councillor per ward - easier to know who to contact and cheaper. If some existing Councillors fall by the wayside then so be it

(Awaits narky comments from Grid Knocker as usual!!!)

Does anyone know where Newton Farm ward ends and Belmont Rural begins? I thought Cllr Edwards was responsible for Belmont and Cllr Powell Newton Farm and they were separate wards? Is there a boundary map of ward areas? Cllr Powell and Cllr Edwards are not the only candidates for the Newton Farm Ward so it's not simply a choice between the two. Who exactly carves up the City into Wards and what's the criteria?

All the wards are changing. Cllr. Edwards has moved from Belmont to Newton Farm in the last few years...

Grid Knocker, I DO NOT do anyone bidding and Bob Matthews have never asked me to, therefore I think it is unfair that you suggest that. As I said in another post the Independents have no political whip telling them what to do, and what to say!. That is why I stood for the Herefordshire Independents in 2003, I stood to represent my constituents and I am on record as saying "if the people get up off their sofa's and vote for me I will give them 100% of my time" and I have done that and more over the 12 years I have represented them.

Flam, The city boundaries were changed originally in 2003 when Newton Farm and Hunderton  became part of Belmont Rural, thus making the Belmont Ward. Now the Boundary Commission in London has decided to make the Belmont ward as it is until May 7th into 3 separate wards. If you look on the boundary map on my website you will see the Newton Farm boundary and Belmont Rural boundary, they run alongside of each other. Because Newton Farm is part of the City parish ( Hereford city council) the Belmont Pools area is in fact a part of the city. In years gone by when there were no houses in Belmont, it was all fields and the woods, that area was named Haywood. That is why many people feel that the country park should not be called Belmont Country Park but Haywood Country park because it is part of the city.

There is a link to the new boundary map, post 66 on the "Countdown to the General Election" thread.

I also asked the question about "unattached" and "Independent" on the "Just who is standing and where?" thread. Glenda has responded on that thread.

Gridknocker, in reference to your post 20, the powers that be did not put two Independents against each other, that is solely  down to Cllr Edwards who said he would stand against me in this election, He was advised not to do that from the Independent leaders and other members of the council, but he was adamant he was standing against me, with I believe the sole intention of my not being re-elected. He has resorted to a "dirty tricks" campaign against me, but the decision is not his to make but the electorate! I have been told today he does not like what Colin has done by putting up his leaflet and the comments that has derived from it.

Gridknocker, in reference to your post 20, the powers that be did not put two Independents against each other, that is solely  down to Cllr Edwards who said he would stand against me in this election, He was advised not to do that from the Independent leaders and other members of the council, but he was adamant he was standing against me, with I believe the sole intention of my not being re-elected. He has resorted to a "dirty tricks" campaign against me, but the decision is not his to make but the electorate! I have been told today he does not like what Colin has done by putting up his leaflet and the comments that has derived from it.

Well, I have not told any lies as far as I am aware, I know that Mr Edwards regularly reads the topics and post here on HV, so maybe he would like to defend himself if I am wrong...