Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

I have been asked by several people if I would create a petition about the lack of grass/verge cutting in the County due to severe cut backs in Herefordshire Councils budget. 

We the undersigned want Herefordshire Council to REVERSE it's decision to reduce grass cutting frequencies from 7 times a year to just 3 times a year in this years budget. This is a massive reduction of almost 60%!! Yet Herefordshire Council has  increased the Council Tax by almost 2%.

The Old Market shopping centre has recently opened at a cost of over £90 million, which will hopefully attract more people to Hereford and grow our local economy, however, Hereford looks a mess, all the grass and verges are overgrown and this will lead to treble the amount of work required when they eventually get around to it, which is false economy. 

This online petition has been launched in a bid to persuade Herefordshire Council to reverse the decision and restore Hereford back to a more attractive standard.
Why is this important?

We believe that this is a necessary course of action in order to attract investment and economic benefit back to Hereford.
The state of our Herefordshire also discourages potential investors and tourism alike from visiting the County, this is potentially an economic disaster for Hereford.

#cutgrasshfd

You Can Sign The Petition HERE

I was only watching the kids yesterday evening trying to play football in the long grass, I think one of the parents had created an area for them to play on because the grass had be rolled in an attempt to flatten it for them. 

Councillor Andrews you might ask if the Contract with Balfour includes grass cutting. I think you will find that this was agreed and signed off last week and the decision can't be reversed. Balfour Beatty are NOT contracted to cut the grass. The only grass cut will be the splays onto highways where there is a visibility issue and ameiniety grass. 

Rather large triffid in Churchill Gardens ... It has certainly celebrated it's first birthday ...

photo_4.jpg

I have at least paid for 7 cuts of grass in the Council tax (which has somehow reduced to three) but when it's reached 23rd May and the first of the paltry 3 cuts hasn't happened then someone must be having a laugh somewhere. It's a total shambles and the natives are getting restless ... Anyhow ... Off to look for my dog ... It's only got short legs and I've lost it at the top of Churchill Gardens ... 

photo_5.jpg

Roger read my post above the 3 cuts only applies to amienity grass and splays. Councillors can you pin them down on this at your meeting please? There is confusion with people being told 'grass' as in all areas will be cut 3 times a year.

Sorry ... I think I was typing as you were posting ... I'm not convinced at all that 'visibility splays' are being addressed properly as you have raised that one ... For the uninitiated that means the views at a road junction and such like ... 

I don't think the natives are arsed about what any sort of contract with Balfour Beatty says ... Grass is green and it grows and it should be dealt with. Incidentally Balfour Beatty were up my way the other week cutting some grass round Churchill House (now operated by the Tech. College I think) so there must be some sort of paperwork about them doing these open spaces ...

I feel a bit sorry for Hereford City Council as they seem to be getting moans directed at them when they haven't got a budget for grass.

Sorry ... I think I was typing as you were posting ... I'm not convinced at all that 'visibility splays' are being addressed properly as you have raised that one ... For the uninitiated that means the views at a road junction and such like ... 

I don't think the natives are arsed about what any sort of contract with Balfour Beatty says ... Grass is green and it grows and it should be dealt with. Incidentally Balfour Beatty were up my way the other week cutting some grass round Churchill House (now operated by the Tech. College I think) so there must be some sort of paperwork about them doing these open spaces ...

I feel a bit sorry for Hereford City Council as they seem to be getting moans directed at them when they haven't got a budget for grass.

They have got the budget for new offices in Plough Lane though eh! I don't feel at all sorry for them. 

Lol Roger don't feel sorry for them, they won't show you the same compassion. The grass cut up to date was because BB were using up the remainder of Amey' s budget. It stops from this point forward, my brother in law was just made redundant from BB he cut his last piece of grass 6 weeks ago. The information is sound. It will be contested for several months but in time it will be self evident. 

"Melksham Without and Wiltshire councillor Terry Chivers has also received complaints from residents in his ward and is even considering putting forward a motion of no confidence in Balfour Beatty.

Cllr Chivers said: “Enough is enough, we have had so many promises from this company, and they have broken them all, they just aren’t up to the job.â€

A council scrutiny committee investigated the controversial £150 million contract, which attracted criticism when it was taken on by Balfour Beatty in June 2013, after residents complained about uncut verges and hedgerows."

£350million taken from two authorities what's going on?

It's going well :)

Maybe what they need is for a child or councillor to be in a car crash due to poor visibility, maybe then they will get their act together.
Someone said it's a discretionary service that they don't have to do - but surely the point of the council is to better the area. This certainly isn't

I wrote to the HT and to be fair they have published our campaign here    :Happy_32:

I'm glad to see you got a plug in for Hereford Voice in the comments.

I think HT should have swallowed their pride.

Their report should have read......"Colin James, local campaigner , has started a petition to shame HC into cutting the grass. This online petition can be accessed via Colin's excellent forum, Hereford Voice, where this and many other local issues are currently being discussed."

But that would have been asking for too much wouldn't it.....???

Well said Dippy 

Colin I'm sure I'm not alone in my thoughts that you are as King Bobby would say, a good lad! I absolutely appreciate the amount of work that goes into maintaining a web site such as this. I'm very grateful that you have given people a place to air their views and openly debate without fear of censorship. I truly believe you are motivated by a sense of moral decency that most of us can only aspire to. I also strongly believe that because of this site sooner or later someone in a position of power is going to take notice! 

Well done Colin and thank you 

My warmest regards Flam