Proposed Residential Development to east of Aylestone Hill

megilleland

Here is a notice which appeared in the Hereford Times this Thursday dated 30th January 2014.

post-2-0-42040200-1391341351.jpg

The only previous reference to this site are two comments made in response to The Core Strategy. Anyone know where the site referred to here is?

Question 38. Is there anything else you would like to say about the Core Strategy?
Comment 396
We object to the Council neglecting to include a housing site at Aylestone Hill in your list of sites favoured for development but we have dealt with that in much more detail elsewhere, via Barton Willmore.

Response: The core strategy does not allocate sites

Action Required: no changes required

Organisation: Collins Design and Build Ltd

Comment 411
"Our client’s land is located to the east of Aylestone Hill and adjoins the north eastern urban boundary to Hereford. In broad terms the site is located approximately 1km to the north of the town centre. A plan of the site is attached at Appendix 1.The site extends to approximately 6.5 ha. It comprises two agricultural grazing fields divided by a well kept, sporadic hedgerow. The eastern, southern and northern boundaries are formed by mature hedgerows interspersed with trees. To the west of the site are a mixture of semi detached and detached, two and single
storey residential properties on Aylestone Hill. From the rear of these properties the site slopes gradually towards the valley floor and the River Lugg. An overhead power line, mounted on 8m high timber posts, crosses the middle of the site from east to west, although this does not preclude development. There are no other notable features on the site."

Response: The core strategy does not allocate sites

Action Required: no changes required

Organisation: Barton Wilmore

A list of sites for consideration in Hereford city with map.

Two sites listed here are off Aylestone Hill. I think this is the site Bovis are interested in.

Settlement: Hereford Site Ref: HLAA/283/001 

Site Address: Land adjacent to Walney House Farm, Aylestone Hill 

page 189 of 286

also considered

Settlement: Hereford Site Ref: O/Her/029 

Site Address: Land opposite The Swan, Aylestone Hill 

page 247 of 286

The council appears to have dismissed both sites as unsuitable. So are the developers ploughing on regardless, due to the relaxation of planning rules approved by the government? 150 houses will produce a lot of water run off.

With the council's continuing and expensive failure to produce a 5 year housing plan, it's open season for developers - all they have to do is demonstrate that the development is that dread word 'sustainable' and be next to existing development and they've complied with the NPPF - bingo - they're quids in. Councillors need to keep asking why the forward planning department is failing us.

Thank you for the link to the map megilleland. Looking at the yellow sections off Aylestone Hill (land with low/minor constraints) it would appear that building is pretty much certain on a small piece of land virtually opposite the path entrance to Aylestone Park. The larger yellow bit is the large cricket pitch behind Aylestone Park. 

Yes, the lower third of these fields were visibly flooded and this was before the storm yesterday.  (I haven't been out there this morning, but imagine it will have worsened). The whole of the fields were sodden underfoot.  

I went to the meeting at the Blind College and spoke to the man in charge of the managing the water situation on the site.  He had never been there until just before the meeting, but seemed to think that the two small lakes that are proposed in the plan and which would be situated at the bottom of the fields, closest to the Lugg, would be adequate to prevent rapid run off.  

Most of the other participants at the meeting found this incredible.  (Turns out I wasn't the only one).  The A4103 is already so imperiled, looking like a thin string across a lake.  Any more water pressure and a main road out of Hereford would be a goner. 

I don't know about the situation with planning.  The man said that they have to put in plans which will allow for predicted climate change for the next 100 years.  If this is so, I cannot imagine that these plans will get through???

"When all is said and done I think following on from this weather that we are all experiencing (and we do not know if it will always be like this in future) far greater emphasis is going to have to be placed on the Flood Risk Assessment. This is going to have to take into account the extreme conditions that we are experiencing. So many homes are already suffering terribly in this country(and my sympathies go out to them) concreting over vast parts of the countryside is only going to exacerbate the situation. It is all very well looking at pretty pictures of how a development might look on a sunny dry day perhaps we should be shown worst case scenario pictures of how it could look. Apparently the D of Transport stated on BBC H & W that no further developments are to be allowed that will further affect the flow of traffic on the A465 and the A49"

I posted the above on What I Heard About .................

Apparently the D of Transport stated on BBC H & W that no further developments are to be allowed that will further affect the flow of traffic on the A465 and the A49"

Hello Denise,

I have put a transcript of an interview about this here - scroll down to post 7.

• 4 months later...

Apparently the D of Transport stated on BBC H & W that no further developments are to be allowed that will further affect the flow of traffic on the A465 and the A49"

Hello Denise,

I have put a transcript of an interview about this here - scroll down to post 7.

Meggieland sorry going to pick your brains again - do you know where I can find transcript of this interview please

• 1 month later...

Recommended for approval, 135 dwellings, likewise yet another scheme for 60 dwellings in Bartestree and 16 more in Marden.

Oddly, the agenda shows the meeting to be at Brockington, yet yesterday the Council issued a press release to say Brockington was now closed for business. I think they need a highly paid PR person - oh wait, they've got several ...

They'll be appealed and they'll win and they'll go for costs* which you and I will have to pay. Why can't councillors realise that they can't stop the flood, indeed have no good grounds to stop the flood of applications, because their forward planning office (take a bow Mr Ashcroft) has messed around for years on end and failed to produce the required plans. At huge cost, the council are now employing consultants to do the work.

*As an indication, the council have just lost an appeal in Villa St for just 3 flats and had costs awarded against them for £5.5k. So, even at say £1k per dwelling, we'll be looking at £195k plus legal costs ...

Ironically, the scheme at Marden was by far and away the worst. Urban tat in a rural setting.

• 10 months later...
ALMA petition to support Hereford Council's decision to refuse planning permission for 135 Houses near the SSSI Lugg Meadows in Hereford.

A very big Thank You to everyone who supported us. We have heard today that the appeal by Bovis has been dismissed. Thank you all again.