Further PROOF that Hereford is stuck in the 1800's

Biomech

I've already posted comparison between Hereford traffic and that of a horse and cart from the 1800's. Here's a bit more to cement the fact that, despite being preached to by the council that they are forward thinking, Hereford is stuck in the 1800's

The OLM a big new build. Now I assumed that the the slanted roofing was an architectural decision to base it on the look of the old market cattle shelters. Which makes sense.

post-109-0-47126700-1386676058_thumb.jpg

_51814818_cattlembbc.jpg

The only trouble is, that this is a "design" from the 1800's.

This design is known as a "Saw Tooth Roof", attributed to architect William Fairbairn as early as 1827. It's primary concept was to allow day light into the large factories. Now I'm just guessing here, but I see no windows in the roof and imagine the interior will be floored and lit accordingly. Funnily enough, Fairbairn dubbed this the "shed principle" :P

One of the drawbacks of this design of roof is that "crap" and debris collect in the troughs leading to drainage issues if not cleared. I mean, I'm sure they thought of all of this, they are highly paid architects after all, not idiots, and know a great deal more about building design than I ever will. I'm just pointing out that this is another example of Hereford stuck in the 1800's.

And wouldn't it make SO much sense to put solar panels on these sloped roofs. 

Also found this;

myudwyqnjv3tg6hcd6og_thumb.png

I would, however, like to add that the construction company aren't really at fault in any of this, they've done a cracking job and make huge amounts of progress in the time that they have been working. So well done to the guys on the ground.

So there you have it, we have potholed roads from the 1600's, traffic that moves slower than a horse and cart in 1700's and buildings that look like they have been poached straight out of the 1800's.

There is, however a very large dent in one of these pointy panels!

When I emerged from the subway onto Victoria Street facing Steels, yesterday,I could see it quite clearly!!

I looked twice to make sure my eyes wern't playing tricks on me, but no, a dent. A rather large one too!!!

Ah dippyhippy, patience my friend - they'll be hammered onto the salty walls once the planners have done as they're told and rubber stamped the application.

For those not up to speed, Herefordshire Council Planning has a long standing policy, for good reason, of not allowing internally illuminated shop signs and the City looks all the better for it. Debenhams OLM have submitted a planning application for no less than 14 internally illuminated shop signs - most are about 4.2m long, a couple are 6.3m. A couple more are 9m long x 1.3m and there's a real whopper at 14m x 2m - light pollution anyone?

As for the dented panels - and mismatched colour as well - there are some good pics of it over on www.facebook.com/esgpics

I would think nowadays they will use LED less pollution but it will need brightening up because to me it looks like one huge shed, hardly any windows and a vile roof to match, I was really hoping for a nice modern centre facing the city because it just looks back to front to me, we are looking at the back surely? I was expecting some big modern glass all around the bend which would look so much more inviting to the brick wall we have now.

Yes Victor, I think whichever way you view it - this is one ugly building.

I think that 1970's style blue and pink wall cladding would be an improvement on this.

It's an eyesore, and it isn't even open yet.

Such a shame, I was quite excited about this new shopping centre and cinema, I guess my expectations of a slightly modernised hereford were a tad high, why do they insist on keeping it looking OLD you can add modern too it's no wonder the city just looks so dark and dismal a bit of light might help after all.

I've already posted comparison between Hereford traffic and that of a horse and cart from the 1800's. Here's a bit more to cement the fact that, despite being preached to by the council that they are forward thinking, Hereford is stuck in the 1800's

The OLM a big new build. Now I assumed that the the slanted roofing was an architectural decision to base it on the look of the old market cattle shelters. Which makes sense.

attachicon.gifESG1.jpg

_51814818_cattlembbc.jpg

The only trouble is, that this is a "design" from the 1800's.

This design is known as a "Saw Tooth Roof", attributed to architect William Fairbairn as early as 1827. It's primary concept was to allow day light into the large factories. Now I'm just guessing here, but I see no windows in the roof and imagine the interior will be floored and lit accordingly. Funnily enough, Fairbairn dubbed this the "shed principle" :P

One of the drawbacks of this design of roof is that "crap" and debris collect in the troughs leading to drainage issues if not cleared. I mean, I'm sure they thought of all of this, they are highly paid architects after all, not idiots, and know a great deal more about building design than I ever will. I'm just pointing out that this is another example of Hereford stuck in the 1800's.

And wouldn't it make SO much sense to put solar panels on these sloped roofs. 

Also found this;

myudwyqnjv3tg6hcd6og_thumb.png

I would, however, like to add that the construction company aren't really at fault in any of this, they've done a cracking job and make huge amounts of progress in the time that they have been working. So well done to the guys on the ground.

So there you have it, we have potholed roads from the 1600's, traffic that moves slower than a horse and cart in 1700's and buildings that look like they have been poached straight out of the 1800's.

The real question by the time it is compleated with the new road down to 2 single lanes and a pedestrian crossing from 2 duel carrage ways. I can see horrendous traffic jams and peeps will go else where. I think Hereford is dieing slowly.

We need council officials with some brains.

@twowheels:  a planning application for14 internally-illuminated signs, you say?

Is it too late to send in a letter of objection to the somnambulant Mr Ashcroft - or is he in the Caribbean for the winter?

An objection to shop signs,I'm sure they will listen to you especially if you sign the objection grid knocker  :tongue_32:

@twowheels:  a planning application for14 internally-illuminated signs, you say?

Is it too late to send in a letter of objection to the somnambulant Mr Ashcroft - or is he in the Caribbean for the winter?

The Highways Agency have objected because the illumination level at 600CD/m2 will be in excess of the maximum allowed and will dazzle drivers. Our City Council, bless 'em, have no objection - did they even look at the drawings?

Not to late to object - comments close tomorrow -  if you can face the horror that is the Council website, start here

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/planningapplicationsearch/details/?id=133004

Blimey! It'll easily out do our Christmas Lights in High Town!

If you stand with your back to Lloyds - you wouldn't even know it's Christmas. Literally NOTHING on the WHSmith side of high town.

I know I've always advocated any development in the city to be in line with the older features of the place, but I kind of meant like the Cotswolds. Even a pre-schooler knows that the 70's weren't the best times in terms of design and looks. The OLM - as it currently stands - on the roundabout end - looks like John Major in a brick coloured tie standing in Milton Keynes :P

I walk up through High Town some mornings around 7ish, and half the lights that we do have aren't on!

I think 2 strings going across by Laura Ashley are lit up, but as you carry on towards McDonalds, they are off!

Is this just in the morning, or are they not on in the evening too????

Ledbury usually looks pretty, and as you say, The Cotswolds. They have the right idea!!!

The Highways Agency have objected because the illumination level at 600CD/m2 will be in excess of the maximum allowed and will dazzle drivers. Our City Council, bless 'em, have no objection - did they even look at the drawings?

Not to late to object - comments close tomorrow -  if you can face the horror that is the Council website, start here

They have not objected because they cannot do so.

There is no min/max to how bright lighting can be there are only guidelines 

Guidelines have this statement below guideline recommendations.

: These notes are intended as guidance only and the application of the values given in Tables 1 & 2 should be given 
 consideration along with all other factors in the lighting design

I can guess the highways have not looked as they are asking where the bloody sign is in relation to the highways :Hmm: 

If the highways agency were based in Hereford I bet our traffic woes would not be as bad as they are