WMP hope to cash in on £250,000 car number plate

Ubique

The West Mercia Police have put up for auction Vehicle Registration Mark .... AB1 , the VRM was issued to the Worcestershire Chief Constable in 1908 . They hope to raise £250,000.

It appears that this had not gone down well with a number of people including retired Police Officers - they have signed a petition urging the Force to keep the plate. More than 700 people have signed it.

According to newly-arrived Herefordian Richard Hammond, the DVLA and private mart sales of personalised number plates is now worth £100-million a year. Which seems an awful lot of money to shell out to have your name plastered across the front of your car.

A relative was recently talking to a neighbour who was the proud new owner of a top-of-the-range BMW. She remarked that she was rather surprised that it sported a common-or-garden number plate, without reference to his christian name or initials. "Delia (not her real name)", he said, "when I take my wife shopping in Sainsburys, I think I can find my way back to the car without having to be reminded which one is mine!"