Labour Leadership Result - Jeremy Corbyn

Glenda Powell

What should give way over this issue then Colin ? 

On the one hand we have all the hundreds of thousands of Labour Members' who elected Corbyn in a landslide 59.5% majority ~ on his peacenik Marxist agenda. 

Or on the other hand we have the PLP (95% who never backed Corbyn) who are fairly inbedded into the Establishment system.  And are Tory Lite in their position ~ ie loose a few bombs off.  

Car crash waiting to happen here. 

And a huge protest march today against bombing Syria.

Whether you agree with Corbyn's views or not poor buggar he has never stood a chance talk about a witch hunt both the media and his fellow MP's - disgraceful behaviour from all concerned.  Every step he has taken he has been openly criticised.

Not all Cons are in support of war but they are not getting the same pasting. Why not?

Did the Jess fall from grace a few years ago to do with something very familiar?  I wonder which way he is swinging this time

Whether you agree with Corbyn's views or not poor buggar he has never stood a chance talk about a witch hunt both the media and his fellow MP's - disgraceful behaviour from all concerned. Every step he has taken he has been openly criticised.

Not all Cons are in support of war but they are not getting the same pasting. Why not?

Did the Jess fall from grace a few years ago to do with something very familiar? I wonder which way he is swinging this time

I agree with Corbyn on this we should absolutely not extend bombing into Syria!…bad idea Cameron is using the attacks on Paris to create the fear factor which is having the desired effect on MP's & the populous so he can push through his own agenda to extend bombing into Syria on Isis targets, this will not work there has never been a bombing campaign in history which has succeeded on its own without ground troops!

We are already bombing in Iraq but Isis are still there they've not gone away!…we need to support the Kurdish peshmerga more!…There the only one's we can trust,all the rebel groups in Syria are Islamist we cannot trust them,Turkey neither as Erdogan is Islamist hisself & is supporting Isis!

The Jesse abstained in the last vote on Syria he's not likely to do that again this time round,but rather vote in favour…as he wouldn't what to lose his job as the media,sports & cultural secretary!

Whether you agree with Corbyn's views or not poor buggar he has never stood a chance talk about a witch hunt both the media and his fellow MP's - disgraceful behaviour from all concerned.  Every step he has taken he has been openly criticised.

Did the Jess fall from grace a few years ago to do with something very familiar?  I wonder which way he is swinging this time

He was never going to get an easy ride Denise so if he wasn't of the strong stuff he should not have been made leader of the opposition after all eventually his views were to clash with many of his own party and ultimately he will be forced out so why the Labour party went down this route who knows! They could not have all been outsiders swaying the vote surely. Even the man himself must have realised that his principles would be different to those commercial politicians in his own party. If he backs away from his own beliefs then he will be tormented forever.....he will realise it was a mistake and will step down with Diane Abbott holding the red flag by his side.

As for the Middle East well Cambo,s cartoon sums it up...It's a bloody mess and additional planes bombing from the air won't make any difference. As a country our overwhelming concern is that the visions we see on our TV screens does not become a regular event over hear in Europe. As the years continue the Middle East and Africa will become a wasteland devoid of people who will get up and go.....and we simply can't stop it unless combined governments set aside their differences and jointly put boots on the ground and once and for all end this carnage. Sometimes in order to stop a fire you have to create one.. this is where we are heading.

Corbyn has got a clear 59.5% Mandate from his Marxist/Peacenik fans' for a 'whipped' NO vote over bombing Syria. 

So what does he do? Offer a 'free' vote over Syria to his Tory Lite MP's .... Very embarrassing climb down over his so called principles .... Very much a case of the tail wagging the dog here ... 

The alternative was to 'whip' a NO vote and get a load of shadow cabinet MP's breaking the whip and resigning. And there is no queue of Corbyn fans' lined up to replace the one's who would leave. A total shambles ....

Cameron has called a Syria bombing debate vote for Wednesday and he has already said he wouldn't call a vote without knowing 100% that he would win. So we know the result already! 

• 2 weeks later...

Jeremy Corbyn wins Parliamentary Beard of the Year for record sixth time

1_articleimage.jpg

Jeremy Corbyn has secured a narrow victory in the Parliamentary Beard of the Year contest.

The Labour leader won by a hair’s breadth in the annual competition ahead of the SNP’s Stewart McDonald and Welsh secretary Stephen Crabb in third.

The win marks the sixth occasion the Labour leader has bagged victory in the category and will be seen as a welcome end-of-year boost to the Islington North MP.

It was a close shave for Corbyn though as McDonald romped to an early lead, before a late rally saw the veteran cross the finish line in first position.

Beard Liberation Front spokesman Keith Flett said Corbyn “won by a whiskerâ€.

Speaking to the Daily Politics, Flett said he kept a “close eye†on the online voting process.

He added: “It was very narrow this year, and I think the SNP guy, Stuart McDonald â€“ well, he's an up and coming beard.â€

Warm Welcome For Corbyn At Stop The War Dinner

cegrab-20151211-221053-0-1-640x380.jpg

10:53pm 11th December 2015

Jeremy Corbyn has defied his critics in the Labour Party by attending a Stop the War fundraising dinner and lavishing praise on the group.

In a speech to 200 activists who paid at least £50 a head for a three-course meal, he said Stop the War was "a vital force at the heart of our democracy".

But while he may be proud to be the group's most high-profile supporter, Mr Corbyn kept a low profile as he arrived by the back door for the dinner, held in a Turkish restaurant in south London.

Once inside, Mr Corbyn was among friends, however. After all, he was there at the beginning 14 years ago, and chaired it for four years until he became Labour leader in September.

In his speech at the dinner, he said: "The Stop the War Coalition has been one of the most important democratic campaigns of modern times.

"It has brought hundreds of thousands of people on to the streets time and again. It has organised protests and lobbies in every part of the country, including by military families.

"Most of all, it has been shown to be right in opposing more than a decade of disastrous wars - in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya - while many of its most vociferous critics supported them."

Mr Corbyn also hit back at leading Blairites who had urged him to stay away from the event. They had claimed some Labour MPs were hounded by Stop the War protestors before last week's Commons vote on Syria.

This week, the Green Party MP Caroline Lucas piled pressure on Mr Corbyn when she quit as a patron in protest at Stop the War claiming Paris had "reaped the whirlwind of western support for extremist violence in the Middle East".

Peter Tatchell, a leading Corbyn supporter, said Stop the War had "lost its moral compass and authority" because it opposed airstrikes in Syria while ignoring President Assad's atrocities.

Mr Tatchell staged a protest outside the Stop the War dinner, accompanied by groups of Syrians and Kurds who support airstrikes. He told Sky News: "Stop the War has lost the plot."

Speaking at the dinner, Stop the War chairman Andrew Murray claimed the group had faced "a hurricane of malicious attacks in recent weeks, largely as a proxy means of trying to undermine Jeremy Corbyn".

He told attendees: "Stop the War has nothing to apologise for and much to be proud of:

"We are proud of our role in fighting for peace and social justice alongside the Muslim communities of Britain. We are proud that we brought tens of thousands of young people into political activity for the first time. We are proud to have worked with the courageous and unprecedented Military Families Against War movement.

"Most of all we are proud that we gave a voice for millions of British citizens who knew better than the political elite - who knew that the Afghan war was a mistake, who believed they were being lied to about Iraq's 'weapons of mass destruction' and who now know that the bombing in Syria will do nothing but add to the cycle of violence that has scarred British policy this century."

Yorkshire Coast Radio

Hi,had to comment after reading this thread as politics tends to be a pet subject of mine . Bill,may i ask you a question? what makes Corbyn so dangerous in your opinion?

Is he any more dangerous than Cameron and all his cuts to the NHS,police services,council serviced etc?...

One could make the argument that the labour partys extreme turn to the left is a reaction to the conservatives hard thatcherite policies over the past five years.my point is political extremism seams rife these days in both wings of politics

Personaly I don't trust any of the current crop of politicians,they all seam to be in it all for themselves

First of all welcome to HV

I think he is dangerous, mainly for his comments on Trident in that he would never use it. I share the view that we need Trident, this is our deterrent more so now than ever before.

I have other views on JC, he is waaaaaay to left wing for me too. I love the way the lefties state we are bombing Syria, instead of saying we are precision targeting ISIS within Syria. I think JC seems to think he can sit down and have a chat over a cup of tea with these extremists, bloke is in noddy land and therefore dangerous. 

First of all welcome to HV

I think he is dangerous, mainly for his comments on Trident in that he would never use it. I share the view that we need Trident, this is our deterrent more so now than ever before.

I have other views on JC, he is waaaaaay to left wing for me too. I love the way the lefties state we are bombing Syria, instead of saying we are precision targeting ISIS within Syria. I think JC seems to think he can sit down and have a chat over a cup of tea with these extremists, bloke is in noddy land and therefore dangerous. 

I am with you on this one Bill. I Can't stand Jeremy Corbyn personally and I hope he will never become PM but in all honesty, I don't think there is any fear of that happening. 

Thank you for the welcome . Its nice to finaly be posting instead of reading lol.

technically we are bombing Syria,we didnt get a "invite" from the assad reigme that is not to mention we are not only hitting Isis but al'queda affiliates too but that's a moot point at this stage. It seams to me that this is turning into a free for all with Russia and china parking their ships off shore from the gulf and med. Still that's going off point.

on the home front I think corbyn is a much better choice than Cameron (granted that isn't saying much!)

At least corbyn seams to give a damn about the poorest in society. His political tendencies do seam to lean towards the have nots rather than camerons Eton brigade and in my view that does count for a lot

Welcome to HV. Air strikes against Isis targets are working http://news.sky.com/story/1605245/exclusive-large-numbers-of-is-fighters-killed

Bill,  Trident is such a complete and utter waste of time and money.

No government will ever use it, and to waste billions on a replacement is, frankly, disgusting when the vast amounts of money could be better spent elsewhere.

So...  We have a nucular missile?  So what?  ISIS don't care, and they seem to be the big threat nowadays.  

France have got nucular missiles...  ISIS don't care...  

Russia have got nucular missiles...  ISIS don't care.

If anyone is ever mental enough to start a nucular war, what point is it that we could send a few back?  No point at all, we'd still all be dead...

So JC has the balls to say he wouldn't use them?  Good for him.

He is hardly a threat to national security.  Dave on the other hand?  Following on from B-liar in the "I love going to war" roll.  Now THAT is more of a danger to national security than a pacifist, in my view.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... After spending 8 hours today trying to #reshuffle his shadow cabinet Corbyn failed to do so ... Announcement now expected tomorrow ...

Having been heavily criticised when he initially appointed his shadow team I fully expect Corbyn to include more women this time around. If he ever gets around to a final decision. Obviously his firebrand mouthpiece Diane Abbott will be getting a half decent role ...

Mirror

shambles.jpg

Telegraph

Going on for nearly two days this #reshuffle and all that's been achieved is the sacking of a very low key guy in the low key post of 'Culture'. And we only found that out as he ran to the press moaning! Nothing from The Leadership.

Other things that have reliably leaked out (but entirely unofficial) are that the Shadow Defence Minister will be shuffled sideways as Corbyn doesn't like that she's a fan of the Trident missile system ~ which she was when she was appointed, and that the fairly high profile Mr. Benn will keep his Foreign Secretary Shadow post if he promises to only criticise/disagree with Corbyn privately. All very shambolic ....  :Hmm:

My problem with him is that he dithers in making decisions and sadly that could have disastrous consequences for one and all. I understand and respect thinkers but in times of emergency this is not what you need in a leader when your people are looking for strong direction.

He won't be in the captain's chair by the time the next election beckons...I wish the Labour Party got on with a change because otherwise another 5 years of conservative rule beckons which I thought Roger would be delighted with ....even though this Government has stripped the visual effectiveness of our Police.

Lets take a look at how this is going wrong for Corbyn as a timeline of events:

The Labour Party went into the 2015 Election (with Ed Miliband as a lacklustre Leader) with a Manifesto Pledge to keep the Trident Missile System ~  â€˜it remains committed to a minimum, credible, independent nuclear capability, delivered through a Continuous At-Sea Deterrent. '

CNDUK

Labour badly lost the Election (in my opinion because of a useless leader and crackpot economic policy) but it returned 232 seats.

Labour then lost it's Leader as Miliband threw in the towel. The subsequent election of a new Leader featured 4 candidates. 3 could be considered to be to the Labour right and you had Corbyn as a proper old school Labour Left Winger. He won with a landslide 59.5% of the vote (anyone could buy a vote for £3) which he has subsequently used as a stick to beat everyone with. He considers it to be a justification, and indeed a Mandate, for any hair brained Marxist/peacenik view he has ever held. To the contrary, it was the Labour grass roots saying they were fed up of Labour just being a left of centre Tory Party. They would have voted for any single left winger on the ballot paper up against 3 pseudo Tories.That's just my view.

Despite his Landslide victory only about 10% of the PLP voted for Corbyn which indicates to me that 90% of the rest are either centre Labour or right Labour which is not good for Party Unity as it quite clearly does not reflect the views of the current voting Membership. Indeed he had so few like minded people (proper Lefties) to pick from that when Corbyn was forming his Shadow Cabinet he had to pad it out with a Foreign Secretary, Hilary Benn, who likes bombing if the need arises and A Defence Secretary, Maria Eagle, who likes funding our dangerously threatening submarines.

A couple of weeks after Corbyn's Election Labour held it's annual Conference and the Trident Missile System cropped up as an item that could be debated if enough people wanted to. A vote was held and only 0.16% Of Trade Unions wanted to talk about it. The figure for Delegates (representing Rank & File) was 7.1%. The debate was binned ~ a desperate blow to Corbyn as the Party had no appetite to go down his much loved nuclear disarmament route at that time. No 59.5% was anywhere in sight at Conference there! 

Bombing Syria then popped up as voting issue in The Commons and Corbyn reluctantly gave a free vote to his MP's and unsurprisingly some voted with the Tories. We all know who. Cue problems.

Paris then got bombed and a Junior Shadow Minister, Pat McFadden, came out with the view that the only people responsible for that were the terrorists involved. That annoyed Corbyn ~ who is considered by many to be a terrorist apologist. He considered it to be a disloyal attack on his position. This is a view from a Labour MP who has voted against his own Party whip hundreds of times over many years! But apparently, according to his Crony mate John McDonnell (Shadow Chancellor) it is OK to voice disloyalty/dissent to the Party line if you do it from a back bench! 

Anyhow ~ Corbyn then decides to have a reshuffle to freshen his Shadow Cabinet up and to get rid of annoying people. Instead of doing the groundwork before firing the starting gun ~ and then taking a couple of hours to do the deed, he fired the gun and only then started thinking about the detail. That's how it looks. In any event he took 2 days to fire just 2 very junior members of his team. Which included the one who is too hardline on terrorists. He also shuffled sideways Maria Eagle as he was bored with her liking submarines. He brought into her place a lady who doesn't like submarines. I've never heard of her before! I think the net impact of his shambolic reshuffle tho was a net increase in women in his team which was a moan the first time he had a go. One person he couldn't get rid of tho was Hilary Benn. If he was sacked the Majority of the PLP would have exploded like a Syrian Carpet bomb. So a compromise has been reached. He has been allowed to still like bombing if the need arises but he's not allowed to say so from the opposition front bench.

A handful of junior people have since resigned in sympathy for the sacked Ministers.

I really think it's important to have a credible opposition who can challenge any existing Govt. ~ who are never perfect whoever is in Office. People will make their own minds' up as to whether the current situation is in any way sustainable. 

Just been listening to PMQ's ...

The only domestic Political story this week has been the Junior Doctor dispute/strike ...

Corbyn forgot to ask a single question about it. We had his 6 questions ~ which were all about Housing. A valid topic but I found his tactic a bit strange ... Perhaps he felt vulnerable on the Doctor Subject? Or unsure about what to ask? 

Plus we had a return to the Bah Whoo type of exchanges as well. Back Bencher's getting a bit wound up!

Just been listening to PMQ's ...

The only domestic Political story this week has been the Junior Doctor dispute/strike ...

Corbyn forgot to ask a single question about it. We had his 6 questions ~ which were all about Housing. A valid topic but I found his tactic a bit strange ... Perhaps he felt vulnerable on the Doctor Subject? Or unsure about what to ask? 

Plus we had a return to the Bah Whoo type of exchanges as well. Back Bencher's getting a bit wound up!

I thought that the PM spoke very well and made Corbyn look rather more amateur than usual 

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a couple for Dave...

Why, after all the pledges and promises about increased funding for mental health, does a leaked report now show that suicide rates are on the rise? Waiting lists for those seeking mental health services have grown significantly? And children are still being sent "anywhere in the UK" for mental health inpatient treatment?

And another...

To paraphrase a Question Time audience member...

Who's right? Fifty three thousand doctors... or Jeremy Hunt???

And finally...

How does it feel, when even your own mother thinks you're getting it all very, very wrong??

Here's a couple for Dave...

He won't be answering this week ... There's no PMQ's ... The House has gone on holiday ... I dunno how Labour expect us to trust them with running the Country when they don't even know the holiday dates for Parliament! 

"We haven't done enough to end the stigma of mental health" says Dave.

What complete boll.ocks. You haven't done enough full stop.

Folks have been encouraged to come forward,( mental health has been talked about much more openly in the past decade) - children are referred. They are asking for help, needing help....but there isn't anything that is readily available.

A thirty two week wait for children in some areas to see a mental health practitioner

Not good enough Dave.