GWW - Public Meeting With Police

Chris Chappell

As Nick semper said to me and Jess HT at the end, where do we place the resources? At the car crash, the IS threat, the three year olds house who's gone missing or shifting on the local drunks? We can't be everywhere.

I think the meeting went off topic and turned into a "what are the council doing" meeting. That was not the point of the meeting imo.

I came away happy with what I heard from WMP, not so the council!

I agree with Jims proposal of "it's our lines - let's all cut it back" - count me in Jim. Let's face it, it on the councils to do list like everything else; lets lighten their load and save a few quid for another camera/lights maybe!? Even better get the local crims issued with CO's to do it, coincide that with Good old fashioned policing the lines in a panda! But no the council put a stop to that with a bylaw. First things first Hereford council need to abolish the law that the police were breaking by driving their car up and down it! Absurd. Then stop and searches. The only people who disagree with it have something to hide!

Too many keyboard warriors out there.

At the risk of being slated, I personally believe that this act of murder was committed by someone that had moved to the city from abroad. Hereford is too small and too local for this not to have gotten around the many circles within!

I have been assured by Nick Semper & Leighton Harding that police presence will increase both South side and North side estates and along the lines. Both also asked that they need people of Hereford to give the police information however small or insignificant it may seem to them.

WMP will be issuing a CRIMEWATCH appeal shortly. Hopefully this will provide the break they need and bring closure to Christians family and return reassurance to the funny ol' folk of Hereford.

I am sorry the only good thing with the meeting was the turnout of the people, of which 6 walked out discussed. The meeting also went off what we were there for. Yes Cllr's Chappell and Powell was rude to me but I told Cllr Powell I may not be a Cllr anymore but I support the people and a member of the community, ( every body clapped) don't know any of the poster from HV heard me but I told Cllr Powell not to talk down to me and spoke to him again after the meeting. I was also interviewed again after the meeting by Free radio and the HT.

What evidence you have to back up that rather bizarre statement? That's the sort of thing we need to stop! Rumours and personal beliefs, the police need facts! 

I agree with Steve, bit of an odd thing to say. When there is a local crime in Hereford I do get fed up of hearing that its some foreigner who did it, when a lot of the time its actually the local druggie or another local person in the end. Surprised you wrote that DILLGAF, your comments were good up until that point.

What evidence you have to back up that rather bizarre statement? That's the sort of thing we need to stop! Rumours and personal beliefs, the police need facts! 

I agree totally with that. Having worked previously within that organisation for 30 years I will presume they have a fairly good handle on what may have gone on but they need to get enough stuff together that will stand up in Court. Does DILLIGAF actually know any facts? Or has he any evidence to back up his claim?

Meanwhile here are the stop/search figures for HR4 for June 2015 as the River Wye is a boundary for figure collation. The HR4 zone incorporates the bridge over the river. 

north.jpg

I agree totally with that. Having worked previously within that organisation for 30 years I will presume they have a fairly good handle on what may have gone on but they need to get enough stuff together that will stand up in Court. Does DILLIGAF actually know any facts? Or has he any evidence to back up his claim?

Meanwhile here are the stop/search figures for HR4 for June 2015 as the River Wye is a boundary for figure collation. The HR4 zone incorporates the bridge over the river. 

north.jpg

This image would suggest that it's a relatively safe area whereas over here in Tupsley I better start thinking of that alarm! Seriously though Roger the thing with stats ...is what conditions create them after all over here we may have a very proactive special?

I'm sure that the Superintendent did her best to assure those that attended the meeting that everything is being done to catch those responsible however Roger is right in that budgets have been slashed and resources for sleepy old Hereford are limited. It's mostly run by Community Support Officers these days with a good few Specials thrown in. When you get to the rank of super the muddy world of politics form part of the job description. It's a bloody difficult job keeping Joe Public and the Assistant Chiefs happy, let alone the bean counters and then of course their is your own career.

Eventually though this Government and Home Secretary will make up with the national force and provide more financial resources...they will have to!

Let's hope for justice soon.

Thanks for the replies. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is a free country the last time I checked! Good to know that only one paragraph was quoted :-) I anticipated that well.

Many agree although wouldn't dare say it.

Oh and while you are slating me, for the record, I said exactly the same to Nick and Leighton last night. Neither were phased or surprised by my opinion, and we had a good conversation about the area, as its my stomping ground. They said they would even pop round for donuts. I've got nothing to hide.

Like I said "Hereford is too small and too local for this not to have gotten around the many circles." Take previous serious crimes for instance, yes majority committed by locals and wrapped up within days if not weeks.

My neighbours are Romanian, friendlier than many Hereford folk and are of the same opinion as me. What does that say to you I ask?

The police are non the wiser 2 months on and relying on that vital "whisper".

A very wise man once said to me, "If you're confronted with a gunman, stay and fight. If you're confronted with a knifeman, run! Chances are the gunman won't use it. The knifeman will and you can't outrun a bullet!"

Despite all of the recent goings on I still feel safe in Hereford. But yes the lines needs a overhaul with help BY US and more lighting. Yes I still use it.

Thanks for the replies. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it is a free country the last time I checked! Good to know that only one paragraph was quoted :-) I anticipated that well.

Many agree although wouldn't dare say it.

Oh and while you are slating me, for the record, I said exactly the same to Nick and Leighton last night. Neither were phased or surprised by my opinion, and we had a good conversation about the area, as its my stomping ground. They said they would even pop round for donuts. I've got nothing to hide.

Like I said "Hereford is too small and too local for this not to have gotten around the many circles." Take previous serious crimes for instance, yes majority committed by locals and wrapped up within days if not weeks.

My neighbours are Romanian, friendlier than many Hereford folk and are of the same opinion as me. What does that say to you I ask?

The police are non the wiser 2 months on and relying on that vital "whisper".

A very wise man once said to me, "If you're confronted with a gunman, stay and fight. If you're confronted with a knifeman, run! Chances are the gunman won't use it. The knifeman will and you can't outrun a bullet!"

Despite all of the recent goings on I still feel safe in Hereford. But yes the lines needs a overhaul with help BY US and more lighting. Yes I still use it.

I am not sure who you are referring to as the member who was slating you? as for me, I merely asked what evidence you had to come with such a statement, which you have not addressed. The police are no wiser simply because there is lack of evidence and witnesses otherwise the culprit would now be locked up. I still fail to see how you came to your conclusion that the culprit has moved here from abroad?

personally I think we are going to get a surprise when they are caught because it will be someone close and known in the area. I am also not convinced that the murder and recent attack are not linked although the police say no. Its to coinsidential two attacks within two months  within yards of the same area.It was obvious to me  the people living in Hunderton  they feel frightened and the meeting did nothing to reassure them, the meeting should of been held a month ago, as other residents said to me after the meeting ended. we were also not impressed by the councillors on the panel, and Cllr Powell said in answer to a question 'he did not know the answer'. He should also know as a cabinet member that it is Balfour Beatty who has the contract for keeping the GWW and other areas under control. Also when he said he walked the whole length of the GWW on the way home, he had a long walk home as he lives in the country.

Steve, just for clarity and not turning this into a personal attack against me, I submit this.....

"A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof".

If I am wrong I will be the first to admit it, however no apologies will be given. After all it is my prerogative for an opinion.

personally I think we are going to get a surprise when they are caught because it will be someone close and known in the area. I am also not convinced that the murder and recent attack are not linked although the police say no. Its to coinsidential two attacks within two months  within yards of the same area.It was obvious to me  the people living in Hunderton  they feel frightened and the meeting did nothing to reassure them, the meeting should of been held a month ago, as other residents said to me after the meeting ended. we were also not impressed by the councillors on the panel, and Cllr Powell said in answer to a question 'he did not know the answer'. He should also know as a cabinet member that it is Balfour Beatty who has the contract for keeping the GWW and other areas under control. Also when he said he walked the whole length of the GWW on the way home, he had a long walk home as he lives in the country.

I disagree, I thought the meeting offered quite a bit of detail in particular the information given about cctv and it was good to have an update on the police enquiries thus far. I appreciate you not being impressed by the councillors but don't be blinkered because they were unfair in my opinion to you. I think Cllr Chappell was good to call this meeting but I did feel that people were being rushed and it only lasted an hour, surely they should of been happy to carry on until ALL questions were asked, I wanted to ask a question but towards the end I felt I best not put up my hand as it was clear time was running out, under the circumstances and if the goal was to reassure local people then no time limit should of been applied in my opinion, i'm sure the panel would of been happy to stay another 30 mins if required.

M Preece, I am not blinkered, far from it, yes the way they treated me was rude, but as you heard I was and still am quite cabable of  holding  my own, as people said behind me the attitude toward me was unprofessional, even the police inspector was not impressed by how they spoke to me.

The police gave a good update into the investigation into Christian death, I don't know where you were sitting but Christian sister was sitting in front of me and got very upset and left the room for a while, but when the cllr's spoke she was shaking her head in disagreement but as I said in my previous post that meeting should of been called a month ago and the people from Hunderton agreed with me. In regard to the CCTV when I asked, as I had been given the money by the commissioner last November, and it was given to the council officer in CCTV dept also a petition of nearly 2.700 signatures had been given in by the people of Hunderton, why the camera had not been installed Cllr Powell couldn't answer me! and Cllr Chappell saying I should go to the local councillor, he is the local councillor for Hunderton.

Just had this comment posted on our FB page:

Matthew Morgan Walked down the lines tonight under the new bridge towards the old bridge with my. Daughter and fiance under the new bridge 3 girls blocked our path either side off them where 7lads in there teens drinking cider as we approached with the dogs the girls just moved enough for us to squeeze by the lads started swearing at us mouthing off we just carried on walking by fast not I nice thing to put up with heart pounding stuff

This doesn't sound good.

The Guardian today:

Major reduction in funding could see number of police officers in England and Wales fall to 40-year low

One chief said the cuts would mean fewer officers and a dramatic pruning back of neighbourhood policing and proactive prevention work which stops crime levels rising.

One chief said the cuts would mean fewer officers and a dramatic pruning back of neighbourhood policing 

If you look on the WMP website you will see that there are 10 neighbourhood teams to cover the whole of Herefordshire. When you take out the supervisors (most of whom look after multiple teams) and the CSO's (who don't work nights and whose powers you can write on the back of a stamp) it shows that 8 teams are on one Constable. 2 teams are currently zero Constable. Those figures cannot really fall much further!!

Community Policing was brought in by Labour in April 2005 as a £1 billion pound flagship programme in case anyone forgot.