EU referendum - In or Out?

megilleland

European Union Poll  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Must say the Jess is being very hesitant in coming out. That is In or Out 

From jesse4Hereford:

11TH FEBRUARY 2016

As a rule the policy of this column has been to focus on local issues.

On the nitty-gritty of potholes, school funding and better public services in our gorgeous county.  Not for it the commentator’s curse of lush and airy speculation about national or international events.

And certainly not, ahem, politics.

Reader, I am afraid you may experience a slight service interruption in this respect over the next few weeks.  But I make no apologies for it.  For there is one issue that is local because it is national, and national because it is international.  That is the forthcoming EU referendum, now almost certain to be held in on June 23rd.  It is, quite simply, far too important to be ignored.

Some of my colleagues in Parliament have thrown in their lot with one camp or the other, in or out, and others will doubtless follow them.

It is absolutely their right to do so, and the campaigns for and against UK exit from the EU will be livelier and stronger for their participation.

My own approach, however, will be slightly different.  I make no bones about it; I have been very concerned over the years about the lack of legitimacy of many EU decisions; about the often disastrous effects of the Common Agricultural Policy, both here and in its effects on developing countries; and, more recently, at the failure of the Schengen countries to control their borders.

But I also have concerns the other way:  in particular, that we would lose a great deal of influence, within Europe and globally; that “Brexit†might be economically highly disruptive; and that the migrant situation might get worse, not better, if we left.

And more than anything I have been struck over the past few months by three things.  One is the lack of public awareness of many of the key issues involved.  The second is the absence of any independent and authoritative guidance for voters.  And the third, I must confess, is the knowledge that I am very far from expert in this area, many aspects of which are mind-bogglingly complex.

So I think the best thing I can do, as a Member of Parliament, is to hold the ring for you, my constituents, and try to pose questions and provide facts which help you to make the decision for yourselves and on your own terms, when the moment comes to decide.

At least he appears more honest than Cameron about the situation.

Rural MPs more likely to vote to stick with Europe
Friday 26 February 2016 8:00
Houses-of-parliament%C2%A9WestEnd61-REX-© WestEnd61/Rex Shutterstock

Most rural MPs want the UK to remain within the EU – but a Tory party divide has prompted warnings that the concerns of farmers and the wider rural economy are not ignored as the campaign begins in earnest.

Some 200 MPs in England and Wales represent constituencies where at least one-third of the population lives within a rural area.

As it stands, 111 (56%) of these MPs are in favour of remaining within the EU, 72 (36%) want to leave, with 17 either undeclared or declared neutral.

See also: Farm leaders demand answers to ‘great unknowns’ of Brexit

All 30 Labour rural MPs are in favour of remaining.

But 162 of the 200 rural MPs are Conservatives – and they are divided on the issue.

Some 74 (46%) of Tory MPs want to remain, 71 (44%) want to leave and 17 are undeclared or neutral.
The in-out voting intentions of rural MPs were researched by the Country Land & Business Association (CLA).

It has warned both campaigns they must ensure agriculture is not sidelined as politicians debate wider issues around the future UK-EU relationship.

Fundamental questions remained unanswered about markets for agricultural products, other goods and services, said CLA president Ross Murray.

“It is vital our members and the wider rural business community have the best information possible to help them decide how to vote.â€

Have you say in our EU in/out vote

fb-icon.pngtwitter-icon.pngg-plus-icon.pngprint-icon.png

I am surprised that Bill Wiggin has declared he is an out so soon and Jesse surprsingly is being sensible or just waiting to see which way will be the most advantageous career move

Revealed: The Brexit supporter who shocked the Question Time panel

The young woman whose passionate argument left Liz Truss lost for words is Lexie Hill, a 16-year-old grammar-school girl who is taking her GCSEs this year

A 16-year-old grammar-school girl has become a political star after demolishing a Cabinet minister's case for Britain to stay in the EU live on the BBC's Question Time.

Lexie Hill, who is taking her GCSEs this year, criticised Liz Truss, the Environment Secretary, for claiming that that David Cameron's EU deal will "reduce the pull factors" for migrants.

Miss Hill, from Poole in Dorset, said: “I’m sorry but I can’t accept Liz’s argument that they’re trying to reduce the pull factors because what is increasing the living wage to £9 in 2020 going to do?

“Especially Eastern Europeans who have a minimum wage which is already one tenth of what ours is, surely that’s going to increase net migration?â€

When asked by David Dimbleby, the presenter, what she would do she replied confidently:“I would get out of the EU so we could have a fair points-based system so we don’t favour people from outside the EU over people in the EU.

“Because we can have someone unskilled within Europe coming in without any questions but a really skilled doctor from India has to go through a really intensive process.â€

Fellow audience members and even Mrs Truss could be seen nodding along during her comments, which was met with a round of applause.

yougn-woman-quesit_3583342b.jpg

Telegraph

Dave's argument trashed by a 16 year old .... 

A lot of people are saying that no one is telling us what the UK would be like after Brexit. All political parties, except UKIP, want us to stay in. This documentary goes some way to make things a bit clearer on possible outcomes.

"Taking the Fear out of Brexit - Investigating the Myths of a UK Withdrawal from the EU" A personal film documentary exploding the myths concerning British withdrawal from the EU in a range of in-depth interviews with Norwegian, Swiss, EFTA and British experts by leading Eurosceptic Conservative MEP David Campbell Bannerman. 69 minutes

Introduction:
In January 2013 the Prime Minister announced the intention to offer the British people an In/Out EU Referendum.

I welcome this policy of changing our relationship with the EU. We have a choice - renegotiated -IN or a negotiated -OUT. But what if we did have to leave the EU? - and it comes down to considering a negotiated OUT option, what would that mean for the UK?

Opponents of withdrawal from the EU have used many scare tactics, citing the dangers such as we'd lose 3 million jobs, it would damage investment, that the UK would lack influence, that we would be alone in the world.

I want to take a more rational look at the facts and look specifically at Norway and Switzerland who, for decades, have prospered and successfully managed a relationship outside the EU. What can we learn from their experience?

This film explores the options for a new relationship for the UK outside the EU. 

David Campbell Bannerman, Conservative MEP

Comparison of potential markets (Wikipedia)

The EU covers over 4 million km² and has 503 million inhabitants — the world’s third largest population after China and India. By surface area, France is the biggest EU country and Malta the smallest.

The Commonwealth covers almost a quarter of the world land area and spans all six inhabited continents. With an estimated population of 2.328 billion, near a third of the world population.

THE GUARDIAN - Mon, Mar 7, 2016

Britain faces a huge decision on 23 June. We answer all your questions, including what to do if you’ll be at Glastonbury

Let’s start with the basics: what is the referendum question and when is the referendum?

Why are we having a referendum?

OK, but why are we having a referendum now?

What did David Cameron ask the EU to change in his negotiations?

And what did he actually get?

Which politicians and public figures want to stay in the EU?

Who is your typical ‘remainiac’?

Which politicians and public figures want to leave?

Who is your typical Brexit-er?

How will the campaign work?

So who are the groups who could be in charge of campaigning?

Has the campaign started?

Can EU citizens living in the UK vote in the referendum?

How can I vote? And can I vote if I’m on holiday?

When will we know the results and how are they counted?

What happens after the vote?

Will Cameron resign if the out campaign wins?

Is there any way the vote result could not be binding?

and more questions by commentators under the article.

THE INDEPENDENT - Mon, Mar 7, 2016

Here's a voice from the past.

So with a heavy heart, in the upcoming referendum, Paul Keetch former Lib Dem MP, will vote to leave the EU and join with other party members and supporters to set up the Liberal Leave campaign group. He does this not in spite of being a liberal, but because he is a liberal.

"As a former Lib Dem MP, I know that the EU we have now is not the one we fought for"

Still no news from Jesse?

EU leaders are currently meeting with Turkey about the migrant crisis. Turkey is bargaining hard (some say blackmailing) over stemming the flow of refugees from their Country. They want lots of €'s (billions) and Visa travel concessions and ultimately EU membership. 

The average net income for a worker in Turkey is currently €584 so if their residents had free EU movement they might be tempted to move somewhere where the average wage was higher. 

There is still 3 months to go until we vote. Could we not consider during that time, another question. If David Cameron is so fixated on keeping us in the EU, would he be a fit and proper person to lead the country if we voted to leave. Could this be Boris' play?

The Guardian 7th March 2016

A proposal to exchange Syrian refugees has been debated at an emergency EU-Turkey summit in Brussels, as Ankara demanded an extra €3bn to help manage Europe’s migration crisis.

Turkey’s prime minister, Ahmet Davutoğlu, outlined proposals to resettle one Syrian refugee in Europe for every Syrian returned to Turkey from the Greek islands.

The EU was ready to double aid for Syrian refugees in Turkey, as it bargained with Ankara to do more to stop migrants and refugees arriving on Greece’s shores. EU leaders promised Turkey €6bn (£4.6bn) over three years, twice the €3bn offered last November, according to a draft version of the summit conclusions.

Turkey has given shelter to almost 3 million refugees, while almost 363,000 Syrians claimed asylum in Europe last year. Up to 2,000 refugees are arriving on Greek shores every day, many from Syria, as well as Iraq and Afghanistan.

DavutoÄŸlu also promised to tackle people smuggling: “With these new proposals we aim to rescue refugees, discourage those who misuse and exploit their situation and find a new era in Turkey-EU relations.â€

He told European leaders Turkey wanted more for its citizens in exchange for helping the EU. He called for visa-liberalisation for 75 million Turks by 1 June, an advance on the October deadline proposed last year, as well as re-starting Turkey’s long-stalled EU accession talks.

I'm not sure which is the bigger extortion racket,Turkey or the EU.
Turkey - gets €3bn off the EU to take back illegal immigrants they should never have let through in the first place.
The EU - gets €12.8bn out of us and the right to dump their economic migrants on us. In return for......well.... not a lot really.
Come to think of it - EU is clearly worse. 
Brexit.

Yes I think we are getting shafted from both sides. These politicians would be at home in the Mafia - anyone like protection?

Turkey - gets €3bn off the EU to take back illegal immigrants they should never have let through in the first place.

Who Turkey lets in or out is entirely a matter for them. They're an independent Country. Their decisions on immigration have a knock on for the EU tho and as they want to join then we get talks like today.

The EU has an external border and that's obviously got more holes than a Swiss cheese in it at the moment. Current weak point is Greece who seem incapable of stemming the flow into places like Lesbos from Turkey.

Greece and Turkey don't get on very well (since the 1974 Cyprus invasion) and so Greece having border controls located inside Turkey (like we have with France) ain't going to be happening. The only certain thing in this world is if Cyprus get through to the final of Eurovision then they will get maximum points from Greece and nil points from Turkey ....

680px_EU28_2013_European_Union_map_svg_1

EU external borders ... ^^^

Those of you who are managers will know every business, organisation, charity, nation, LA needs a risk register? Tells you whT might happen if a, b or c happens. Allows you to make decisions before they happen. If they happen you have already been forewarned and have contingency plans in place.

You have one for your family I expect. What if your kids decide they want to go to university and not Tech College? What if car breaks down often; AA or RAC.? This car or that one? What happens to council small holdings if this or that happens?

So at Council I asked the Leader if he had asked officers, Chamber of Commerce, Charities Etc what would happen in a 'No' vote for Herefordshire. Simple. Answer, he has not asked the question. He did say in written reply that we might loose £65m income, but who cares, well apart from me that is!

It does not matter if yes or no vote, what matters is that there is a risk assessment, done by the Tories, to ensure Herefordshire does not go down the drain which ever way the vote goes. Just food for though that some posters may want to pursue ?

What if car breaks down often; AA or RAC.? 

I asked myself that very question today as my daughters car has started to play up. Added her car to an existing Green Flag recovery policy for £22 at lunchtime ....

It does not matter if yes or no vote, what matters is that there is a risk assessment, done by the Tories, to ensure Herefordshire does not go down the drain which ever way the vote goes. Just food for though that some posters may want to pursue ?

I think that the Council think that the car parking charges are the answer. This year and next year. As for 'going down the drain' the Council seems to want to let the County down by selling off the tenant farms' .... 

Of course leaving will lead to various unknowns but we can then let in exactly who we need. There will be a cost aspect in vetting and assessing visa stuff but it's a price worth paying in my opinion.

Please Vote Out! Consider the strain and the impact this mass migration is having upon our NHS, our Housing and all our other much cherished public services. Whichever way it's dressed up, no matter how many times they tell you how wonderful it all is, our nation cannot sustain the expenditure upon all these migrants. We will inevitably lose these services if we don't take care of them.

They tell you that there are three million EU economically active migrants and near on two million economically inactive migrants here in the United Kingdom now, yet, when evidence emerges that the issue of National Insurance is far greater than the aforementioned figures, they expect you to cover your eyes to the obvious, which is the whole thing is beyond any control and they are leading you toward oblivion.

Think about the vast registrations of National Insurance numbers just a little. For every registration that's been logged within the United Kingdom, there is a person who will be entitled to a UK State Pension. Think for a moment how many EU migrants are contributing now or have gone elsewhere within the EU who will be entitled to a scaled down State Pension because they've worked and contributed to the National Insurance scheme. Given that our Country has been the host to millions and millions of people since 2004, the cost to us in decades to come will be enormous.

The consequences of this exploding time bomb are going to be hugely damaging to everyone who is young and British. They are going to have to work long and hard to meet the responsibility that we've bequeathed them. Forget the fifty five million pounds we pay every day to be a Member of the EU. Ignore the billions of pounds that our public services spend each year upon the EU migrants. These sums of money are small change when compared to the price our Country will be required to pay when we have to pay the Pension contributions to all those who've worked here in Britain.

Quite simply, together with the NHS which will inevitably collapse and become a Private Healthcare Provider, the State Pension will not be there in its present state for our youngsters who'll be the ones required to pick up the pieces if we don't leave the EU now. Like all things, if you cannot afford to sustain it, it will go and be replaced by an economic model that many European nations now follow.

If we stay within the EU, like most of East and Central European countries, we will become a fully paid up member of the 'Have Not' group and it'll be our descendants who'll be the ones leaving Britain to pluck chickens, wash cars and pick fruit in some far away place that demands we work harder, faster and cheaper than the last lot they hosted who were no longer prepared to be treated as Slave Labour.

This is our fate if we remain inside the European Union. Please Vote to Leave.

Get out of the EU because the facists run it the European bank is in Germany the largest armed force in the EU is German the biggest economy is in Germany who holds the controlling power in Brussels Germany wake up the lot of you do your research listen to people like Harry Beckhough google his name and listen to what he has to say and the word is truth not the misleading information the controlling machinations want you to hear.

Supporters of the new Uni should remember they are relying in their financial forecast on £18 million plus funding from the EU.  What organisation would compensate for that loss?

That said from  where I am standing it leaves Jess no option but to be an IN considering his position with the new Uni

Do you know we have lost 80% of our governance and a yes vote will mean we will lose the other 20% in a treaty that will be in 2 parts over 2 years you want someone you do not know and cannot vote for dictating to you what you can or cannot do.Just wake up and use the brain you have been given do dilligant research and the facts will fall in front of you what has happened in the last 46 years alone as i said wake up do the research do not sit there and think i am all right jack and be complacent i will give you a clue Ted Heath was gay he liked little boys that were procured for him by Jimmy Savile.

• 2 weeks later...
George Eustice, a Eurosceptic minister, told The Telegraph that the Schengen zone enabled “terrorists to move around freely†and said Britain could only take back full control of its borders if it leaves the EU.

Telegraph

The EU HQ (our HQ effectively) is about 2 km from Molembeek which is a criminal/jihadist hotbed tolerated by the Belgium Authorities .... The nutters there may well have EU passports and can drift into the UK at will if they are not on a radar. We obviously need 100% control of our borders today. I don't even want to wait for the 23rd June vote .... 

• 2 weeks later...

Hereford Times 1st April 2016

HEREFORD and South Herefordshire's MP Jesse Norman is running four public meetings for residents to discuss the EU referendum.

He will be chairing the meetings in Hereford, Ross-on-Wye, Peterchurch and Ewyas Harold.

The MP is one of 18 Conservative MPs who have yet to announce their voting intentions in the EU Referendum.

Mr Norman said: "There is a huge need for more information and awareness about the EU Referendum on June 23, which will be an absolutely crucial decision about the future of this country.

"That's why I am holding these four public meetings.

"These are not political rallies and will not be run as such.

"They are specifically targeted at local people who have not yet made up their minds and who would like to take part in what I hope will be a measured and thoughtful public discussion."

The first is at The Three Counties Hotel, Hereford on Saturday, April 30 from 10.30am to 12pm.

The Larruperz Centre, Ross-on-Wye will be the venue on Saturday, May 7 from 10.30am to 12pm.

On Friday, May 13 there will be one at St Peter’s Centre, Peterchurch from 6pm to 7.30pm, followed by one at Ewyas Harold Village Hall on Friday, May 27 from 6 to 7.30pm.

They are open meetings which will not be ticketed. All welcome.

Is he going to be covering both the In and Out sides? If he is not sure how he is going to vote will it be on a show of hands? His last meeting is on May 27th - one month before the vote. Left it a bit late for a reasoned discussion. Can't see many people attending looking at the timings of the meetings. It looks as if it will be a gathering of the party faithful getting their final orders to back Dave.

Is he going to be covering both the In and Out sides? If he is not sure how he is going to vote will it be on a show of hands? His last meeting is on May 27th - one month before the vote. Left it a bit late for a reasoned discussion. Can't see many people attending looking at the timings of the meetings. It looks as if it will be a gathering of the party faithful getting their final orders to back Dave.

This just appears slippery to me .... He wants to be on the 'winning' side (in my opinion) and is being less than transparent with his fence sitting. 

I guess there is only one way to find out what he's up to & that's to attend it may give you a insight into which way he's leaning towards yes or no?

He will already know. He's just not saying. The first question at the first meeting should be 'What way are you voting?' I won't need to attend as I'm 100% going to vote to leave .... 

He will already know. He's just not saying. The first question at the first meeting should be 'What way are you voting?' I won't need to attend as I'm 100% going to vote to leave ....

Not going to attend Roger? Well I'm a little disappointed I know your voting leave but does it not intrigue you to go along & see wot the slippery sods up to?

You can you'd be able to add your opinion too with the reasons why your voting out? Who knows Roger you might even win some hearts & minds? possible get some inners to see reason? so that they change their minds by seeing the light, smelling the coffee & all that jazz so that they become convert to the out campaign?!

Not going to attend Roger? Well I'm a little disappointed I know your voting leave but does it not intrigue you to go along & see wot the slippery sods up to?

I'm not that intrigued that I'll attend Jesse's meetings'. It will all come out in the wash with Jesse. My reasons for voting out are easily worked out by reading my posts'. 

I'm not that intrigued that I'll attend Jesse's meetings'. It will all come out in the wash with Jesse. My reasons for voting out are easily worked out by reading my posts'.

Roger if I didn't know you any better I'd say you where shy?! But given you used to work for the constabulary I don't think so…so I expect your be there in cognate wearing a wide brim hat, false beard, moustache & glasses quietly taking notes?!

Roger if I didn't know you any better I'd say you where shy?! But given you used to work for the constabulary I don't think so…so I expect your be there in cognate wearing a wide brim hat, false beard, moustache & glasses quietly taking notes?!

April 1 aside Jesse arrived (by parachute?) in a winnable seat with him being part of the Tory Machine ... He's got over 50% of the vote around here and won't lose next time unless something really strange happens to him or the economy. He can put his slippers on and focus on his own self advancement. Obviously being on the winning side of the EU vote would help. 

I have seen him in action once and I think that is enough to last me a lifetime so I will not be attending - well I don't think so but it might be good entertainment value it depends how masochistic I feel on the day!

He and a Con Councillor had a pasting at Madley one night a few years ago so I am not surprised he has chosen not to do a session at either Madley or Kingstone - shame