Sign in to follow this  
Roger

Sunshine Radio Have Sacked DJ Ian Davies

Posted on Sunshine Radio face ache page.

Apparently not sacked, moved to weekend.  Something on there about some bloke called Shaun Tilley, his ex-wife, his new wife, children etc. 

I saw Ian Davies say he was sacked, Sunshine say he wasn't but was offered a different slot and then something about people beating up their wives - which seemed quite out of place on a business page

I know the World won't stop revolving if there's an internal re-organisation at a small local radio station but it's well loved my many listeners including me!

For what it's worth Sunshine have brought in a new controller called Shaun Tilley ~ he's been around the block with too many well known Radio Stations to number and name so his Radio CV will be long. Probably brought in to boost listener numbers and to increase advertising revenue as it's a commercial station. He's been there a few weeks looking at the station and last weekend his changes started to kick in. He replaced a 2 hr. Sat. + Sun networked 'Gary King' show with his own 4 hour show ~ which might itself be a networked tape. The problems really started when he tinkered with the Sunday daytime schedule by reducing and shifting backwards the 'live' hours of two well liked local DJ's (Mark Baker + Leon Oldman) so as to fit in a tired tape featuring Steve Penk doing radio 'wind ups' with bleeped out swearing and another guy called 'Mick Brown' who might also be on 'tape'. I've never heard of him. He also binned the live broadcast weekend evening Jeff Collins Rock Show ~ a niche (and long running) show but loved by quite a few locals. So that was Jeff out of his Sunshine job. 

There were immediate moans on the internet. Shaun Tilley's reply can be read here

Ian Davies has got a 5 hour Mon-Fri (2PM - 7PM) show on the Station (and 2PM - 6PM on Sat.) and not many people would argue with the fact that he has the most hours and is the most liked. His show was tinkered with (probably by Shaun Tilley) where his 3.30PM text/ring in/Tweet quiz was removed and some other banal features were added. He also had to say before/after virtually every track the new Station phrase which is 'The Music That Makes You Feel Good'. As did the other DJ's. This prompted a FB page being set up to bring his quiz feature back.

Then Ian announced on FB/Twitter that he had been 'sacked' ~ after his Friday show just gone. Obviously the Station Listeners caused a storm on the internet ... Including finding a 2005 BBC News report about Shaun Tilley. It can be read here Basically he battered his then wife in what appears to be a one off situation where he pleaded guilty at Court and got punished with an 18 month conditional discharge. This is a ten year old case but yup - it's on google ~ found by typing three words and pressing search. Anyone heard of the 'Freedom to be lost' by google stuff that's been in the news a lot?

Sunshine had to respond in some way to the storm of negativity brewing and did so on their FB page which can be read here They say Ian was not 'sacked' but offered a role at weekends. If it was a sort of 4 hour slot (or his existing slot maybe?) that would be a reduction by 87% of his existing hours. And the total removal of his flagship (and very popular) weekday show. He considers this to be a sacking. And so do I. They went to disclose irrelevant stuff about Shaun Tilley's 2005 wife (I don't think she works at Sunshine) and details about Shaun Tilley's current personal life. Biomech considers the post 'out of place'. I would say it looks totally unprofessional.

The FB page to bring back the 3.30Pm quiz has now changed in title to 'No To Shaun Tilley - Yes To Bring Back Ian Davies Campaign'. When it did so the page likes went from 38 to a current 525.

The current situation is that Sunshine are still getting negativity from all directions on the internet. People are re-tuning radio's and 'unliking' them on FB and Twitter .... Their current FB likes are tonight are 4179. Let's see how that number changes. I think any new listeners that Shaun Tilley may have attracted with his new look line-up/feel are going to be swept away by the sh*tstorm that he appears to have created with his new broom approach ...

Hi there Roger!

It's Radio 2 all the way for me during the week, but Sunshine on the weekends. Not anymore though. This shake up has seen what was previously a great weekend line up, replaced with a very corny prank phone call show. It's dreadful. Very contrived, and not in the least bit funny.

I do wonder who exactly, they think they are going to attract, with this sort of show?

As my old Mum would say, if it ain't broke - don't fix it!

The previous approach has been 'proud to be local' .... So the local dj on a Sunday Morning (Mark Baker) has been replaced at 10AM by a tape peddling smut. In an attempt to attract, presumably, a larger audience. There might be someone out there who might appreciate the content of the tape. Possibly sat in a different Country listening to the #tunein radio app. They are hardly going to go to Appliance Solutions who have made a stance ... A local company ... 

And I guess it's the local businesses who advertise on Sunshine who will hold the most sway. If local people stop tuning into their local radio station, then local businesses will stop advertising on it.

It will be interesting to see if they do an about turn. One things for sure, I certainly won't be a weekend listener any time soon again. The drivel I heard today was enough to put me off.

I'll tune in tomorrow purely for the 'news' context .... Who is on ... their tone .... that sort of thing .... Don't forget Sunshine has a Sister Station in Ludlow ... That has changed as well ... 2PM tomorrow will be interesting tho .... Ian was due to host his next show then ... Already confirmed on the internet that Shaun Tilley is hosting the slot! I wouldn't want to be in his shoes! 

I'm suprised by the lack of support for the remaining DJ's by you lot. They are all local and trying to earn a wage. Everyone is saying sunshine is not local any more yet Leon, Big Dog and Matt are on there and all you local people are abandoning them. Well done one DJ leaves and you hang the test out to dry. Ian is a good DJ and will get more work but why punish the rest. You have a choice. Listen to the local guys and if you don't like a wind up show turn it off don't moan.

To be perfectly honest, Paul, the presence of a wind up show on a local radio station which I only listen to on weekends, is not high on my list of priorities.

It's not going to keep me awake at night.

You are quite right - I do indeed have a choice, and I choose not to listen anymore.

Steve Penk lasted a month .... On Sunday's ... It was only a tape anyway .... (he was inappropriate)

Sunday line-up is now Mark Baker (6-10) Leon Oldman (10-14) Matt Healey (14-18) I am informed reliably that this is 'finalised' ... 

Would I be wide of the mark if I said...

"I think my life can proceed without this news becoming an obstacle to my pursuit of happiness"?

My sentiments exactly.

Something on there about some bloke called Shaun Tilley, his ex-wife, his new wife, children etc. 

Shaun Tilley doesn't seem to be broadcasting on Sunshine anymore. In fact I don't even know if he's still there in any capacity. The afternoon weekday slot he sacked Ian Davies from is now in the lap of some fella called Mark Benson. I've never heard of him and there's no bio on the Sunshine Radio site. Digital Spy forum seems to suggest he's done the rounds via various radio stations. Also been a 'wrestler'. 

589048.jpg

Digital Spy

After 12 months of upheaval I'm not entirely sure that Sunshine have made any real progress ~ apart from giving Matt Healey a break ...

9589_838792269600874_5458251340089983962

Those are seriously cheap drinks .... There are probably terms and conditions but 2 quid for a pint of lager sounds OK! Name of DJ is spelled wrong but who cares!  :Happy_32:

FYI Titley is now at Swansea sounds.

Unfortunately he left the Sunshine building in such a rush he forgot to take his jingles with him ... #musicthatmakesyoufeelgood ...