Taurus Healthcare.

bobby47

Bobby is so right about timings of visits, but it is not only nurses who are suppose to be in two places at once. Before I retired as a care worker last year, I was often with a client in the Clehonger area at 8.55pm and schedualled to be in Marden at 9pm. Even if traffic lights were all on green it still would take at least 15 minuets if driving responsibly. My partner who is still a care worker, still is expected at times to be in two places at once.

I am going to the Healthwatch Question Time event. The panel are the experts in their disciplines, so hopefully the questions asked will get the proper answer. I have two questions in. One of mental health, Cinderella of the NHS and much neglected out in the community, and one about used equipment, hoists, Zimmer frames etc, which appear to be thrown away when no longer wasted!

I hope others will take up tickets as not enough questions are asked about healthcare in Herefordshire.

Sorry Chris but as a Councillor do you know why you have no representation here ..unless the provision of funds for looking after people in the community has changed.

There were great claims some years ago that Herefordshire was to be a pilot for joined up thinking in healthcare provision. The geography and demographic were ideal ( one county, one council, one hospital and one Clinical Commissioning Group) If it could work anywhere it had to be Herefordshire..how do you think it's gone?

Hello Chris. Thanks for your comments. If you attend that meeting, and the time is right, ask them about the costs to the Herefordshire Health Service when it comes to Interpreters. That'll make them fidget!

The costs are enormous and consequently, because this impacts upon budgets so dramatically, there's now a culture amongst staff to try and keep these costs down. It's not something that's forced upon them by management. They've simply slid into it because they don't want to add to the burden of funding. The staff often invite the patient to bring a friend who can speak English thus saving themselves the trouble of phoning the Interpreter NHS helpline. Not a bad thing to do you might think? We'll it ain't until the bomb goes off, a mistake is made and someone who claims they were fluent in English wasn't as fluent as we'd all have liked.

This area of business is extremely problematic and one day it's going to bite someone who only ever meant well. And as for the Interpreters Line, as soon as you connect, the charge begins and rather like many other commercial telephone lines, you pay by the minute. The costs to the NHS each week of the year are huge.

I was chatting with a Nurse who was treating a patient from the East of Europe. The interpreter and the client were chatting for ages and when the Nurse, realised that time was dragging on and another patient was waiting and chased them both down, she discovered that the pair of them were talking about their bloody holidays. Bloody holidays! Good grief!

Cllr Chris said .....I have two questions in. One of mental health, Cinderella of the NHS and much neglected out in the community, and one about used equipment, hoists, Zimmer frames etc, which appear to be thrown away when no longer wasted!

Some 10 years ago after I had finished doing real work ! I worked for the Red Cross in Powys who had the contract for delivering equipment as authorised by the OT's . This equipment included beds , hoists , Walking Frames , wheelchairs , chairs etc in fact the whole 9 yards. Nothing was discarded unless is was unsafe to use and / or was beyond repair

Once it was finished with by the Client it was collected by me or my colleague , taken back to the Red Cross Depot in Llandrindod Wells , steam cleaned as approved by the Welsh NHS and reused . Perhaps times have changed and we are in the throwaway season ?

Hi Ubique!

It is my understanding that The  Red  Cross also have a loan system for equipment in Hereford. They  operated this service from Harrow Road, although they may now have moved.

When my son was on crutches a few years ago, these were issued by the occupational therapy team, and were returned to this department when no longer required.

My neighbour also needed crutches for a short while......not being as quick to return them, he was sent a reminder letter!!!

Hi Greenknight. I think the answer to your question is that Healthwatch, who are organising this event only wanted to discuss health care provision in the county, and did not want the Council there! Do't get me going on the subject of joined up thinking/ delivery of health/social care in the county or we will be here for weeks!! Safe to say I have been saying for years that there needs to be more co-ordination between different providers, health, council and voluntary sector. It just does not happen as it should

Bobby I will ask your interesting question about interpreters. I know the police often are asking for volunteer interpreters but I know nothing about the health groups in this area. Leave it with me I think I know someone who may know the answer.

I know someone whose husband died last summer. They had a ceiling hoist put in, £1000 approx, paid for by the tax payer, about a year before he died. We used it once a day to hoist into/out of bath. Perhaps it was used in total for five hours. When the widow contacted the suppliers/OT, she was told they did not want it back. In the end she gave it to the Hospice, although a good cause, surely it should go to another needy person? I believe there are a lot of sticks, zimmers, hoists, stair lifts that are no longer needed by the person they were intended for.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So it appears that the mighty Manchester will take control of the £6 billion pound budget for healthcare and run a joined up approach to health & social care. This is a positive step but a huge undertaking, millions of people dozens of councils large and small. I understand that others like Leeds are planning the same. No more passing the buck everything under the same roof.

Nearly four years ago I sat around a table in the board room at Hereford Hospital where I understood it was to be a pilot for the same after all everything says it should work in this County.

Then I was just an Ambassador for the Patients Association and shortly afterwards moved on but how it saddens me that all these years later a small frigate of a healthcare system has been unable to achieve this manoveuer when a battle cruiser like Manchester has researched, project managed and instigated a sea change in continuity of care.

Good Luck Manchester.

• 3 weeks later...

The latest? Well strap yourself down and read on. The very next time you are walking or driving around the City and you see a Bus in your close proximity, have a peep at its back end. There you'll see a huge advertisement banner alerting all to the wonders of Taurus. Yep! And it's public funding and you are paying.

Happy? We'll suck on this little cutie. This weekend the entire Taurus Healthcare Team, and it's now huge, are away for the weekend Go Karting. Yes! That good old public service tool designed to create happiness, create wealth, save us all millions that they amongst the hierarchy like to describe as a Team Building Excercise. Ain't it lovely. A couple of days in Wales and it's all being funded by us. Well, that's not strictly true because they'll quite rightly say, 'we are an arms length independent private company and whilst we are funded by the NHS its money that belongs to the PLC and is beyond public scrutiny.

Now, they've made a corporate decision to only treat ailments that have Governmental Financial Incentives. In are Well Man and Woman Health cheques, Chronic Heart and Respiratory Illness, INR Warfarin and Diabetes. The other stuff, like a dressing, an injection, a joint injury, cough, cold, sickness or any other bloody thing that you can think of, ain't going to be treated by them because there's no funding. And if there ain't funding they ain't doing it.

The next item on their wish list is Prime Care where you can be sure that Taurus will win the bid. Why do they want it? Yes, because it's funded by the NHS.

It's all about the money isn't it! Oh, and one more thing; because Nursing staff from the NHS are joining Taurus and becoming strategic thinkers, planners and far removed and distant from ever seeing another patient again because they are helping to build this new Empire of Dirt, a bunch of staff from WVHT have left Blighty for the Phillipines. Why? To recruit Nurses. Who's paying? Us of Course.

It's all madness! And on and on we go slipping and sliding toward privatisation of huge chunks of the NHS.

Oh now you've done it Bobby ....I hear something stirring in de woods could it be that you have awakened another Herefordian Legend! Yes it's Lofty Wiseman seizing the opportunity to grab those lost Taurus Types scrambling amongst the Welsh Forests. Time for my type of training he mutters as he digs his pit adjusting the snare to suit a suit! Your medical qualification might stop you bleeding out but the marketing and business degree forget it!!!

Now you project managers cop a load of my jacket spuds and wild boar that been cooking away for hours ....you didn't strategically think that through when you fell in you plonker!

Be warned Taurus Types your seriously affecting my quality of life with your greed and nose for a profit...look here what I've done to this little porkers trotters. Just one or two calls will awaken old comrades that have done great service to Queen, Country and my old regiment.

So with this in mind I'd build a relationship with the community first before building ya cash cow otherwise you might get caught up in someone else's exercise...deliverance and all that!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm dismayed that this company is being so poorly portrayed by the ill informed.

Have any of the posters to this forum actually used the 7 day service that Taurus offers?

I have - It's brilliant ! I saw a GP at a convenient time - that didn't require me to take a day off work. Perfect !

The other patients who I have spoken to absolutely love it.

Why shouldn't GP's be paid what they are worth in the market ? It's not like we are buying apples from a local orchard !

Have you not seen - there is a shortage of GP's nationally - and if thats what they can earn - after 6 years at university, 4 years of post graduate study, and really bad work life balance - who are we to criticise some of the brightest people in our community for being paid properly - would we rather they left and moved to London to earn the same money ?

Crackers !

Myhatmycoat, Firstly, my very warmest regards to you. Before I dig my teeth into your rump and give it my best shot to belittle your argument let me tell you that nothing I say is personal, it's not an attack upon you, albeit, when you read this offering you might conclude that it is and be a little bruised by the experience.

For bloody starters, I've never met a patient who has ever described a trip to the Doctors as a 'Brilliant' and a 'Perfect' experience. More than likely they'll say, ''what a dreadful experience. I hope I never have to endure that procedure again.' Course, if I were a slave to this new Arms Length Company, I was on the payroll and having the time of my life sitting there, doing little or nothing and being asked to return over and over again for the high pay, I too might describe my encounter with Taurus as 'Brilliant' and 'Perfect'. As it is, I've got no connection with Taurus and I'm completely at ease with this arrangement, cognisant that I'm not playing a part in yet another pointless gimmick that strips away the wealth of our National Health Service and delivers us all up another problem to address in two years time when all the Doctors in the City openly say, 'what a waste of bloody time and money that was. How do we rid ourselves of Taurus'.

It's a load of rubbish and despite your nicely worded testimonial that proclaims 'it' to be a joyous moment in Health Care development, it is what it is. A dog of an idea that's being used as a vehicle for career development by some staff who don't care as much about the NHS as they should. I say, take this baby Taurus to the bathtub and drown it.

Ah excellent... I'm catching this post from afar having just walked out of the theatre department at the UHW in Cardiff so whilst I begin my journey home I will prepare a suitable response in my head however myhatmycoat welcome to the site it's good to hear from you I'm sure that Bobby will socially engage in the meantime.

Not Bruised at all Bobby, after all not all will see things through one eye.

Thank you for such a warm and embracing welcome. I feel comfortable in the bosom of such genuine fellowship.

You seem to know a lot more about the landscape of Healthcare than I do so I will of course bow to what is obviously a greater degree of knowledge about this environment. I clearly know nothing.

I described the availability as brilliant - and that was my experience.

I don't relish going to the doctor any more than any other - but I am balanced in my view about the service I get, as long as it is what what I need when I need it. Thats what was perfect.

After all - we don't pay to see the doctor here in the UK as they do in other parts of the world - so I don't mind getting what I percieve as a good service, funded by my taxes, and why shouldn't we recognise that.

I guess if your glass is 1/2 full - itsa different perspective to that when it's 1/2 empty, got a crack in it - and someone knocks it over on thier way outside to throw stones at thier reflection.

For the record - Like you, I have no interest in Taurus - but unlike you its clear you know someone who is a lot closer to this than I am.

Sorry it's late ...a longish day stretched out more because of the holiday traffic rather than hunting down a hospital car parking space because you see it's half term and the end of a holiday year in the NHS so use it or lose it! End result empty car parks, outpatient clinics cancelled , cold surgery on hold...no staff! You know it's quite possible to acquire almost 40 days hols a year when you've done a bit of time with mother NHS.

If I thought for a moment that organizations like Taurus were providing additional resources at no extra cost to the old girl then I would be delighted, joyfully retiring to my chair comfortable in the knowledge that should my tickly cough prevent me from watching"have I got news for you"I could jump up and taxi it to this rescue centre without dialling magic numbers or fear the wrath of my local "call of duty ED".

Where did it go wrong..Well it started when GP,s were presented with a blank cheque by the Labour Party during The Blair Which Project. Yep Tony gave the crew an opportunity to fill in their own salary requirements and just for good measure feel free to complete your own job description..and with a strike of a pen it was done ..goodnight on-calls.

So now the money is so good today's GP,s don't have to work full time and guess what most don't, except for those who oblige their employment commitments to the minimum but hey they then come back providing a support service setting up said companies and charging NHS England for the privilege unless of course you believe these organizations are not for profit charities if so then I humbly apologise.

We get told there are a shortage of GP,s but do we actually know how many GP,s are part time. There is a certain similar healthcare provider in the South of England that houses old colleagues earning around £200K a year for each doc so please tell me if this is sustainable.

Don't worry though for I'm absolutely sure that once regular practice attendees get sight of a free cup of tea and perhaps an opportunity to deface or camp out in the plush waiting area whilst reading the latest copy of Country Living the shine will be lost unless of course we engage in the process of selective clients, sorry patients.

Sadly the NHS needs to become a 24/7 service in all aspects of its performance and GP,s need to get on board with that. It's probably fair to say that many of the patients that fill the appointments book are regulars some with often over complicated medical social problems made more difficult because of the lack of continuity in their care and part time personnel don't help with this. Meanwhile we have to accept that the number of worried well individuals are increasing which means that waiting rooms are clogged with regulars.

So this would be a good time to step in and say ..Well this is where Taurus come in. No because Taurus make a profit and they do so by submitting invoices to NHS England for work and services that they provide when perhaps that money could be used to bring in more doctors and services to mainstream practice. I'm paying for the plush surroundings , the agency rates, the bonding weekends when I'd rather go to my regular practice see my regular doctor who doesn't have to rely on third party notes to understand the individual sat before him. The best form of continuity of care starts with the relationship that the doctor has with his patient and for the majority of us that was lost some years ago. With the best will in the world this medic, this stranger before me can only listen ask you what you think is wrong and tell you what you want to hear! He or she will only know what's on the computer.Good luck with that!

Oh Jolly Good. What a fabulously balanced perspective.

Lets go back to the beginning of my engagement here. I initially wrote on this blog - because I had a good experience of this organisation and the service offered by people who work within it, and I felt that the rhetoric here was not a fair reflection on them. That view hasn't changed, and actually - I'm more concerned about the everyday staff who are part of this company - knowing that there is a section of society that has this unbalanced view about what they are doing !

Whilst I knew the voicing a divergent and supportive view would prompt a backlash - and the devil in me says thats more than OK - what I am more interested in (now) is what motivates people to be so directly opposed to what the NHS themselves describe as innovation.

Illustrations anyone ?

• Did we reject chemotherapy for cancer, because that was and is still created by the evil that is private industry taking some cash from the NHS - I doubt it.
  • When we last visited the dentist - did we object to local anaesthetic - because that was created by a profiteering corporate entity - that was taking money out of the NHS. I doubt that too. 
  • Did anyone say - Oh no - don't give me that new Dynamic Hip Replacement Joint, because that too was developed partly by taking money from the NHS - and oh dear I wouldn't want that - I will have the one I prepared earlier with clay from my mothers garden.

But the GP's of this fair county should be burned at the stake for daring to be different. It's time to get a grip.

My cohesive reflection on this somewhat disjointed and fragmented thread is (and granted there are some quite lucid views)

• there are users, voicing a somewhat personal dislike of Taurus. Some of this seems driven clearly by an abundance of what prima facie seems "Insider Information". That doesn't feel at all balanced to me.
  • there are some that want to articulate concern about the decay in the provision of our NHS services, I don't disagree with that, but that isn't a direct result of a new organisation forming and filling a gap in the market.
  • there are those that have a disproportionately biased view of what the GP should and shouldn't do / how much they should work, and when they do anything extra - this should be done - for free ! Try telling that to your plumber or electrician when you need one out of hours.

I took the time to read the GP contract from 2005 that Green Knight refers too - yes - sad I know, but reading it - one gets a clear understanding that the negotiating out of out of hours visiting and appointments -  was done in return for a REDUCTION of the capitation based payment.

And as for those lamenting the innovation that is the computer in General Practice - and would rather see a reliance on the good old fashioned "knowing the patient" method of medical record management. Oh dear - in an increasingly complex clinical environment - where there is an abundance of co-morbidity and correlation - nope - we don't want that sort of innovation - I'd rather run the risk of dying because my GP forgot that they couldn't give me medication "A" with medication"B"

That isn't the "modern standard of healthcare" that I want for my family, and it shouldn't be for yours either !

Hello Pal, I'm glad you returned. I was rude to you and I shouldn't have been. I am very sorry. As for your 'piece', it's an excellent piece of writing and one which I enjoyed reading and if I was aboard this latest Arms Length Company Gravy Train enjoying the sweet taste of its financial rewards I'd embrace you and say, 'thank you very much'.

An excellent piece of writing my friend and one which your masters will do well to remember when the next promotion to some obscure strategic thinking post comes up that'll allow you to drift even further away from the front line delivery of health and care within the private sector.

A masterful bit of writing pal and not to different to much of the twaddle churned out by other public service arms length traders who celebrate their existence by telling me that I've never had it so good, I'm being saved loads of money and I'm a fool for ever asking why is our money being wasted.

My very best wishes and warmest regards to you.

Ok so here's my position and mine only.

Thirty five years ago I joined the NHS a not for profit organisation, a star for me, the saviour of thousands and when the **** hit the fan I was there in the thick of it enjoying what I did. I got paid peanuts but that was not what it was all about. It was a service not a product with features and benefits a free service regardless of who you were where you came from and whether you could afford it.

I absolutely applaud research and development for new products, drugs and new technologies but having to pay for an alternative service even if not directly well it gets the same response from me as it did when we lost free eye appointments and dental care. Perhaps I'm the fool but this is the first stage in the possible drive towards GP,s charging for their services.

Whilst Taurus and the like charge NHS England for their services I would much rather see money spent offsetting the huge amount of monies collected by charities keeping all the air ambulances in the skies.

I've seen millions yes millions wasted on new electronic record patient management systems which become outdated as soon as they are launched in fact some never got launched at all and besides If such systems were the be all and end all why do we still have a written record.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I'm a fare hand with portable ultrasound, can still use a defibrillator and thought the De Vinci robot was impressive kit.

..and here,s another thing ..GP,s don't have the monopoly on stretched resources and exhausted staff what about the Emergency Department Medics why shouldn't,they have the means to run a little private enterprise. I jest of course but would creeping privatisation arrive on the crumpled tarmac of the private M6 Toll where ya leg is broken and the green team arrive only for you to say sorry I've got Branson coming in one of his gold livery specials..his medics have all the right gear and they're gonna fly me to Harley Street.Anyways his medics look good in their suits complete with all the trimmings to make your critical experience an enjoyable one.

Nope when i worked the NHS it was because it was a not for profit organisation and now they occasionally get my services for free.

Ok so here's my position and mine only.

Thirty five years ago I joined the NHS a not for profit organisation, a star for me, the saviour of thousands and when the **** hit the fan I was there in the thick of it enjoying what I did. I got paid peanuts but that was not what it was all about. It was a service not a product with features and benefits a free service regardless of who you were where you came from and whether you could afford it.

I absolutely applaud research and development for new products, drugs and new technologies but having to pay for an alternative service even if not directly well it gets the same response from me as it did when we lost free eye appointments and dental care. Perhaps I'm the fool but this is the first stage in the possible drive towards GP,s charging for their services.

Whilst Taurus and the like charge NHS England for their services I would much rather see money spent offsetting the huge amount of monies collected by charities keeping all the air ambulances in the skies.

I've seen millions yes millions wasted on new electronic record patient management systems which become outdated as soon as they are launched in fact some never got launched at all and besides If such systems were the be all and end all why do we still have a written record.

Maybe I'm a dinosaur but I'm a fare hand with portable ultrasound, can still use a defibrillator and thought the De Vinci robot was impressive kit.

..and here,s another thing ..GP,s don't have the monopoly on stretched resources and exhausted staff what about the Emergency Department Medics why shouldn't,they have the means to run a little private enterprise. I jest of course but would creeping privatisation arrive on the crumpled tarmac of the private M6 Toll where ya leg is broken and the green team arrive only for you to say sorry I've got Branson coming in one of his gold livery specials..his medics have all the right gear and they're gonna fly me to Harley Street.Anyways his medics look good in their suits complete with all the trimmings to make your critical experience an enjoyable one.

Nope when i worked the NHS it was because it was a not for profit organisation and now they occasionally get my services for free.

Well Greenknight I'm with you on that keep the private sectors dirty little hands of our NHS or there won't be a NHS!

Good Afternoon Mr GreenKnight.

I reflected on this on my commute to the city this morning squashed in the train, filled to the brim, and no sign of a cup of tea anywhere. Hmmm let me think....... that sounds like a normal day on a ward to me.

35 years in the NHS is in deed an admirable service - and I genuinely tip my cap to you sir for that. Anyone that stays in one industry dilligently for 35years, and still has unwaivering support for thier employer - deserves to be respected.

I commend you for holding firm to your ideals - it is part of our society that recognises we are all different that makes the UK the best place to live. I wish you a happy and propsperous retirement with your lovely tax payer supported CPI linked final salary pension attached.

No disrespect to you sir - Im bored with this.

Lets go and see what other havoc I can create by giving a balanced argument elsewhere.

Toodle loo.

Good Afternoon Mr GreenKnight.

I reflected on this on my commute to the city this morning squashed in the train, filled to the brim, and no sign of a cup of tea anywhere. Hmmm let me think....... that sounds like a normal day on a ward to me.

35 years in the NHS is in deed an admirable service - and I genuinely tip my cap to you sir for that. Anyone that stays in one industry dilligently for 35years, and still has unwaivering support for thier employer - deserves to be respected.

I commend you for holding firm to your ideals - it is part of our society that recognises we are all different that makes the UK the best place to live. I wish you a happy and propsperous retirement with your lovely tax payer supported CPI linked final salary pension attached.

No disrespect to you sir - Im bored with this.

Lets go and see what other havoc I can create by giving a balanced argument elsewhere.

Toodle loo.

Please don't be bored sir because you have made an assumption that based on years of service I've acquired this huge as you put it" CPI linked pension" .....sometimes whistleblowers don't get pensions and as my tag line suggests......principles can be expensive however peace of mind is priceless" chin chin!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...