Advice: Parking and penalty notices on private land

Colin James

I think you have missed the point here, the landlord, in most cases gets NOTHING from these car park management companies, they merely approach landlords and say this is the best way to deal with people who park on their land, we will do everything and it will not cost you a penny. (But we will earn a small fortune) In general, most landlords will just agree as it costs them nothing. This is not so much about the landlords this is about these companies scamming people and I would never pay them without a court order, which funny enough is very unlikely, why is that? It's one big scam and needs addressing in my opinion. 

I could not of put it any better myself, one huge SCAM and bully boy tactics and I know what I think about bullies!.

Thanks for the original advice in the first 2 posts i'm sure this will become useful at some point with so many of these bullies around these days.

I don't go into town very often but I was there today and there is a new car park off Wall Street (adjacent to Tesco) ... £1 for an hour ... £5 for 24 hours ... Scaled charges ... Looks private ... It might have been there a while but I haven't noticed it ... 

I don't think it's unreasonable to charge for parking but ludicrous penalties for not paying a £5 charge is daft ... These people must perpetuate the practice as most people buy a parking ticket and a good proportion threatened with a letter must then pay up? 

There seems to be little action with Court Orders ... 

But I would never condone just dumping a car and taking the pi*% ... 

These threatening letters are outrageous tho ... 

6886326-large.jpg

Lincolnshire driver's £14,000 parking fine is 'Britain's biggest'

A Lincolnshire driver has racked up almost £14,000 of parking debts after ignoring more than 140 tickets.

The total bill is higher than that racked up by footballer Mario Balotelli, who was hit with nearly £10,000 in parking fines.

Lincolnshire Echo 

Morrisons car park is fairly full most of the time when the shop is not ... Probably a mixture of shoppers/people taking the p!ss

I park in Morrissons when I have to go to the hospital - I'd rather crawl up Stonebow road(?) than pay to park in the hospital carpark

I don't go into town very often but I was there today and there is a new car park off Wall Street (adjacent to Tesco) ... £1 for an hour ... £5 for 24 hours ... Scaled charges ... Looks private ... It might have been there a while but I haven't noticed it ... 

The only trouble there is all of the morons that block access because they don't notice it's a two way road up to the car park.

That and when the traffic builds up, with the new lights, it creates a loop on itself and becomes a solid gridlock from tesco's underground entrance, through the carpark, out the otherside and around back to the entrance, a solid loop with no where to go - happened last week, 45 minutes to get in the underground to out the new lights

• 4 weeks later...

I park in Morrissons when I have to go to the hospital - I'd rather crawl up Stonebow road(?) than pay to park in the hospital carpark

The only trouble there is all of the morons that block access because they don't notice it's a two way road up to the car park.

That and when the traffic builds up, with the new lights, it creates a loop on itself and becomes a solid gridlock from tesco's underground entrance, through the carpark, out the otherside and around back to the entrance, a solid loop with no where to go - happened last week, 45 minutes to get in the underground to out the new lights

Wall Street is too narrow by the pub ... Almost impossible to get thru if you are leaving the ring road to go up it and Tesco traffic is lined up waiting to leave. 

Anyhow ... Having thought about it the Councils are as bad (if not worse) than the rip off private firms when it comes to parking. Whether it's parking for 20 seconds in a loading bay in the wrong type of vehicle or overstaying by 5 minutes in a half empty car park ... Or having a concession displayed at the wrong angle on the dashboard ... 

£1,500 parking furore for disabled Liverpool man who displayed badge upside down

JS48211297.jpg

A disabled pensioner claims he is facing a parking bill of up to £1,500 – all because he failed to display his Blue Badge correctly.

John O’Callaghan, 66, parked in Crown Street, Liverpool , to visit a friend who was in hospital.

When he returned his Ford Focus car had been slapped with an £80 ticket because his disability badge was the wrong way up.

But he did not have enough money to pay the fine and now a bailiff company acting for Liverpool council is demanding he forks out a whopping £422 – or face having his possessions confiscated.

And the retired factory worker, from Speke , claims he has been told over the phone the final bill could rise to an eye-watering £1,500.

Liverpool Echo

Wall Street is too narrow by the pub ... Almost impossible to get thru if you are leaving the ring road to go up it and Tesco traffic is lined up waiting to leave. 

Anyhow ... Having thought about it the Councils are as bad (if not worse) than the rip off private firms when it comes to parking. Whether it's parking for 20 seconds in a loading bay in the wrong type of vehicle or overstaying by 5 minutes in a half empty car park ... Or having a concession displayed at the wrong angle on the dashboard ... 

£1,500 parking furore for disabled Liverpool man who displayed badge upside down

JS48211297.jpg

A disabled pensioner claims he is facing a parking bill of up to £1,500 – all because he failed to display his Blue Badge correctly.

John O’Callaghan, 66, parked in Crown Street, Liverpool , to visit a friend who was in hospital.

When he returned his Ford Focus car had been slapped with an £80 ticket because his disability badge was the wrong way up.

But he did not have enough money to pay the fine and now a bailiff company acting for Liverpool council is demanding he forks out a whopping £422 – or face having his possessions confiscated.

And the retired factory worker, from Speke , claims he has been told over the phone the final bill could rise to an eye-watering £1,500.

Liverpool Echo

This is a council ticket not a private company which is a different subject.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My wife does out of hours work in Hereford City Centre on Thursday evenings and tonight she parked in Blackfriars Street car park (which is a private car park) anticipating she would be less than 1 hour. Her ticket was for one hour ~ valid until 18.26. The rate there is £1 per hour. 

She was unexpectedly delayed and went slightly over. She got back to find a private parking notice on the window issued at 18.29 by Corporate Services of Hereford. So an allegation of evasion of 5 pence.

The ticket (which will not be paid) demands £100 (reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days.) 

If nothing is paid within 28 days apparently the legal hounds of hell will be unleashed. I think Corporate Services are well known around here ... They cause grief in the KFC car park ...

My wife does out of hours work in Hereford City Centre on Thursday evenings and tonight she parked in Blackfriars Street car park (which is a private car park) anticipating she would be less than 1 hour. Her ticket was for one hour ~ valid until 18.26. The rate there is £1 per hour. 

She was unexpectedly delayed and went slightly over. She got back to find a private parking notice on the window issued at 18.29 by Corporate Services of Hereford. So an allegation of evasion of 5 pence.

The ticket (which will not be paid) demands £100 (reduced to £60 if paid within 14 days.) 

If nothing is paid within 28 days apparently the legal hounds of hell will be unleashed. I think Corporate Services are well known around here ... They cause grief in the KFC car park ...

Wankers! They have a sensor I notice on the wall in the car park next to the Black Lion, I might just drive in there, sit there for 5 mins and wait for the van to turn up then drive out. 

From BBC News today

A chip shop owner has lost his Court of Appeal challenge over what he claimed were "unfair, unlawful and disproportionate" parking charges.

Barry Beavis, 48, was sent a charge letter for £85 by car park operator ParkingEye after he overstayed a two-hour limit in Chelmsford in April 2013.

ParkingEye argued such charges were "a commercially-justified deterrent".

The Court of Appeal has dismissed the case though Mr Beavis, of Chelmsford, can refer it to the Supreme Court.

The three appeal court judges unanimously dismissed his challenge, saying the amount he was charged "is not extravagant or unconscionable".

'Absolutely furious'
After the judgement, Mr Beavis, who is considering taking his case to the Supreme Court - the highest court in the land - said: "I am absolutely furious that they have not upheld the law as it stands but have created new law."

ParkingEye argued the charges were justified to discourage people from over-staying at a site close to the railway station and law courts.

After Mr Beavis first refused to pay the £85 he received a court summons and was told the charge had increased to £150.

He challenged this last May at Cambridge County Court, where a judge ruled the £85 charge was lawful and did not breach the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations.

His challenge at the Court of Appeal was against the county court verdict.

Prof Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation, said it was "deeply frustrating" the case has gone against Mr Beavis.

The British Parking Association and ParkingEye are yet to comment.

After the judgement, Mr Beavis said: "I am absolutely furious that they have not upheld the law as it stands, but have created new law."

This sets a dangerous precedent. More twisted justice.

From BBC News today

After the judgement, Mr Beavis said: "I am absolutely furious that they have not upheld the law as it stands, but have created new law."

This sets a dangerous precedent. More twisted justice.

All I can say to that decision by these moronic judges is A.R.S.E!!!!!!

From BBC News today

This sets a dangerous precedent. More twisted justice.

Apparently it was a 56 minute overstay in a 2 hour 'free zone'. How that equates to a pre-estimate loss of £85 baffles me. Plus there were quite possibly free spaces in the car park so the loss to the owner of the car park may have been nil. All very baffling! 

Essex Chronicle

I did say I would update you guys on a ticket I got at Sainsburys around a couple of months ago now - I cant find the thread. 

I have not paid it. 

They have not sent any letters to me. 

So - there we are then! 

Here The letters may come .... Who knows! Don't pay! 

Dudley man fights £100 parking fine from private Hereford company ...

www.worcesternews.co.uk/.../11811994.Dudley_man_fights___100_parki...

23 Feb 2015 - Carlos Taylor paid to park at Hereford's Blackfriars Street car park, owned by Corporate Services Parking Management, while on a working trip ...

• 2 weeks later...

Same scenario on General Election Day evening. 2 days ago. She parked in the same car park and covered all bases by buying a ticket way in excess of what time she would actually use. The car park is quite large and could possibly hold 80 cars? She reckoned there were 3 cars in it when she parked.

Came back .... (still virtually empty in there) and she had a £100 fine on the window for 'not parking in the bay' .... 

She reckons she parked normally. I can only imagine some gobsh!te spy there has pedantically seen a tyre touching a line in the car park. 

The ticket will not be acknowledged, or recognised, and if a Court summons chasing an unwarranted invoice arrives then it will be fought ...

Just giving the heads up really that there is zero tolerance at that car park and they seem to have some sort of person living there to issue tickets. 

Same scenario on General Election Day evening. 2 days ago. She parked in the same car park and covered all bases by buying a ticket way in excess of what time she would actually use. The car park is quite large and could possibly hold 80 cars? She reckoned there were 3 cars in it when she parked.

Came back .... (still virtually empty in there) and she had a £100 fine on the window for 'not parking in the bay' .... 

She reckons she parked normally. I can only imagine some gobsh!te spy there has pedantically seen a tyre touching a line in the car park. 

The ticket will not be acknowledged, or recognised, and if a Court summons chasing an unwarranted invoice arrives then it will be fought ...

Just giving the heads up really that there is zero tolerance at that car park and they seem to have some sort of person living there to issue tickets. 

I hope she kept her ticket Roger? Please keep us updated if you hear anything. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My daughter allegedly overstayed on a retail park in Aberystwyth on 02.07.15. I think it was free parking but with a 2 or 3 hour maximum limit. She ignored 2 demand letters from Parking Eye who wanted £85.

Today she got a County Court summons from Northampton County Court asking for the £85 and £70 costs. 

My daughter allegedly overstayed on a retail park in Aberystwyth on 02.07.15. I think it was free parking but with a 2 or 3 hour maximum limit. She ignored 2 demand letters from Parking Eye who wanted £85.

Today she got a County Court summons from Northampton County Court asking for the £85 and £70 costs.

Yes around the back of the railway station. I have used it because parking at Bronglais Hospital and the surrounding area is rubbish. The hospital staff tell me that it's an income generator and the general victim is often the uni students up the road from the hospital .

Yes around the back of the railway station. I have used it because parking at Bronglais Hospital and the surrounding area is rubbish. The hospital staff tell me that it's an income generator and the general victim is often the uni students up the road from the hospital .

It says Rheidol Retail Park on the summons. I'll have to reply to it within 14 days and get her to approve the reply and sign it. The reply will be researched off the internet! 

• 2 weeks later...

That,s the one..good luck with that Roger.

I did the research. Reluctantly I (or rather my wife) paid the amount due tonight via the internet. I looked at the evidence and the latest appeal in identical circumstances failed. It was taken to the Appeal Court by a Billericay Chip Shop Owner. My daughter hasn't got the time to fight a parking ticket and we don't want her to get a CCJ on her credit history. I saw no evidence of the Appeal being overturned at The Supreme Court so I thought it was stupid to dig an even bigger hole. The evidence I relied on is on the link below. 

9912135-large.jpg

Brentwood Gazette

Hi

I am bumping this so as to help a friend find it in order to help her contest a parking fine she recently received from parking eyes for overstaying her time at Hereford Aldi supermarket. The reason she was overtime, she was giving up her free time to help collect money for Hereford Samaritans ! As things stand her act of kindness is costing her a £40 fine !

I hope the info here helps.

Regards

Pete

The reason she was overtime, she was giving up her free time to help collect money for Hereford Samaritans ! 

Was she shaking a tin in store? If so I can't see a problem. Parking Eye have started to get pretty ruthless in the civil courts so be careful is my current advice! Contact Asda to try to get it waved if the friend is a regular shopper there. But no one takes more than an hour to shop at Asda! 

• 5 weeks later...

Chelmsford chippie loses Supreme Court appeal over private car park charges

9912135-large.jpg

A Chelmsford chip shop owner has had his parking charge battle dismissed by the Supreme Court.

Barry Beavis, 47, of Crocus Way, Springfield, claimed that an £85 ParkingEye fine handed to him at Chelmsford's Riverside Retail Park in Victoria Road in 2013, was "unlawful and unfair".

Despite The Court of Appeal dismissing Mr Beavis's claim in April, the persistent chippie, who owns The Happy Haddock in Billericay, was given leave to take his dispute to the Supreme Court.

He argued the £85 he was charged for overstaying his two-hour free slot by 56 minutes was "unreasonable and excessive".

Commenting on the decision, Steve Gooding, directoricon1.png of the RAC Foundation, said: "This ruling has given a licence for ticketers to take over from where the clampers left off.

"The judges have said that penalty charges should not be excessive but without giving any clear indication of what excessive might be. This opens the door for parking companiesicon1.png to increase their penalty demands and leaves the onus on motorists to fight sky-high charges on a case by case basis.

"The last hope for motorists is that Parliament will now do what it should have done back in 2012 when it outlawed clamping on private land and set reasonable limits for these charges.

"The DVLA releases several million vehicle records to private parking companies annually and the number is rising year-on-year. As the custodian of our data it should be taking more interest in how it is used.

"Parking should be a small, inconsequential part of our lives. Today's judgment means it will continue to stir up totally disproportionate anxiety and anger."

Essex Chronicle