Police Seize Cigarettes From 'Kurdish Owned' European Shop

Colin James

Ubique - it is a well known fact that the HT "reporters" are not allowed to leave their office and do all their work from the internet!!

Unless they are covering a big story! I think they had a reporter and photographer at Court today for the fella who was accused of cruelty to 4 fish by drinking them down in a cocktail ... 

Without sinking to the depths of further fishy puns, isn't this another example of the Hereford Voice discussions provoking activity by 'officialdom'? First we had questions about Baptist Church Drinkers - we got Op Castlemain. Then we had questions about the purveyors of duty free contraband cigarettes - we got this. The 'No Hot Food at Night' got some reasoned and informed explanation from poster(s) and consequential new applications for Late Night Refreshment application(s) etc. The issue is not (a backslapping) whether Hereford Voice 'steals a march' on the Hereford Times, but whether well-argued issues on this forum get the attention they deserve...

Hi George

Just looking at the council website and I cant see any new applications on there :

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/licences-permits-and-permissions/alcohol-and-entertainment/current-licensing-applications?q=licensing&type=suggestedpage

Unless of course you know different?

But - I will agree with you that Op Castlemain appears to be doing the trick - I personally have seen less street drinkers around during the day time in the town and that can only be a good thing! I hope they are getting the help they need.

Hi George

Just looking at the council website and I cant see any new applications on there :

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/licences-permits-and-permissions/alcohol-and-entertainment/current-licensing-applications?q=licensing&type=suggestedpage

But - I will agree with you that Op Castlemain appears to be doing the trick - I personally have seen less street drinkers around during the day time in the town and that can only be a good thing! I hope they are getting the help they need.

Hi George

This operation castlemain seems to be rumbling on longer than I thought it would ... I am only evidencing that by the hashtags on Twitter ... It already seems to have been going on for weeks! 

"This operation castlemain seems to be rumbling on longer than I thought it would ... I am only evidencing that by the hashtags on Twitter ... It already seems to have been going on for weeks! "

Looks like it started rumbling in late June, was officially launched in early July, and is set to run a while yet. Despite the Nay-Sayers, some people here seem to think that it's been quite successful and in fairness, there have been no further deaths reported YET. The Street Pastors and local politicians seem to be behind it, and the Friends of a castle Green have noted the improvements. Way to go, I'm sure, but maybe the strangely named Operation Castlemain did what Hereford Voice required of it?

Without sinking to the depths of further fishy puns, isn't this another example of the Hereford Voice discussions provoking activity by 'officialdom'? First we had questions about Baptist Church Drinkers - we got Op Castlemain. Then we had questions about the purveyors of duty free contraband cigarettes - we got this. The 'No Hot Food at Night' got some reasoned and informed explanation from poster(s) and consequential new applications for Late Night Refreshment application(s) etc. The issue is not (a backslapping) whether Hereford Voice 'steals a march' on the Hereford Times, but whether well-argued issues on this forum get the attention they deserve...

Well just to provoke things a little more, I have a friend who works in this store, without a contract and he pays his staff £4 per hour! And guess what, he still has dodgy cigarettes there after the court case and you can take that to the bank!

http://t.co/HD9zFH0kHw

Cheap cigarettes aren't all that they seem a few added extras - nice

People aren't stupid and they buy smuggled fags in Hereford ... You can tell instantly if the goods are kosher ... I don't know anyone who buys the stuff that's made out of camel droppings and bus tickets! .... Obviously any smoking is bad for you tho ... So I'd advise any Hereford Voice readers' not to take it up! 

• 1 month later...

Zardashit Karem SALH (Kurdish sounding name to me) is applying for an alcohol licence for this ZABKA shop ...

Hours of operation 0800 - 2200 ... The intention is to sell 'foreign' beers to local/passing trade

Herefordshire Council Website

The applicant does not seem to feature in the tobacco story so maybe a different face has been shuffled forward to front up the application? Who knows! The application features all the usual promises of promoting the licensing objectives ... 

Any objections have to be in towards the end of this month ... 

My GF is Polish and she knows someone that works in this shop, she hates the fact that people think the owners are Polish, They are not!! They are from Iraq, same as a lot of other foreign shops locally, most of them are not Polish, they just set up as a Polski Sklep, it gives Polish people a bad name especially when they are selling dodgy gear. BTW, they are still selling illegal cigarettes in some of these shops for sure...

As far as I am aware the only two actual Polish shops are Natalka and Edysia both of which are in Eign Gate Hereford.

Natalka.jpg

My GF is Polish and she knows someone that works in this shop, she hates the fact that people think the owners are Polish, They are not!! They are from Iraq, same as a lot of other foreign shops locally, none of them are Polish, they just set up as a Polski Sklep, it gives Polish people a bad name especially when they are selling dodgy gear. BTW, they are still selling illegal cigarettes in some of these shops for sure...

Re: Your last sentence Colin I know this is correct ...

Regarding the store name it is obviously derived from a long standing chain in Poland. 

Å»abka (convenience store) ~ link from Wiki

Even down to copying the frog logo which is the English translation of Zabka (small frog)

I suppose in the event of a dispute about trademarks and stuff then that is an argument that someone else can have but I can quite see how 99% of passing trade, who probably don't use the shop, would consider it to be Polish ...

If the store appear to be able to massage the truth about the origins of the shop and/or ownership then how transparent are they going to be about anything else? Is it good enough just to throw a few staple Polish tins of food on the shelves plus some Polish beer? And stick a frog on the front?

First thing I would check is this Mr. Salh's recent history in running an off licence in this Country. Has he got a recent track record in this area? Anywhere in England/Wales. Or has he been parachuted in? 

I don't know where the revenue from these dodgy dealings goes to but there is every chance it is laundered back to Iraq. Either with consent or by some sort of racket going on that the owner has no control over. Islamic State has the potential to creep all over the place with it's tentacles and hidden agenda's ...

They sell products from many countries, Lithuania, Russia, Portuguese, its a bit of a mix of lots. I do feel sorry for Polish people sometimes because they get the blame for many things that happen and half the time the criminals are not Polish at all.

I remember the murder of the young Mr Loader in the underpass in Whitecross Rd, everyone blamed a couple of Polish guy's when in fact the culprits were Lithuanian. See this article

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/11572114.Thousands_of_illegal_cigarettes_found_secreted_in_a_Hereford_shop/?ref=mr

Latest development in this long running saga. I'm not sure the sentencing guidelines are acting as a sufficient deterrent. I know that people who smoke must, by definition, have limited regard for the health of themselves and sometimes those around them, but smoking unregulated products of zero provenance must be plumbing new depths in foolhardiness.

And one more thing... Unfashionable as it may be to congratulate Herefordshire Council on this excellent site, I feel that we should congratulate Mr Willimott, Mr Pigrem and their Trading Standards Team for pressing on with these enquiries. Well done and keep up the good work!

(I'll now await the 'pile on' for saying anything positive about the Council. Lock'n'load - Fire at will...)

Hi George!

I thought you were partial to the odd B and H???

Reading back through this thread, I see Marc Willemont has been thanked several times by different posters, no "pile on" here!

In fact, I see very little evidence of the "pile on" factor you keep mentioning.........!!!

Back to the thread..........

It's certainly heartening to see that Trading Standards are really trying to get to grips with this. After all their efforts and hard work, they must be as cheesed off as I am that the sentence seems so paltry.

Just how many "chances" are these businesses given?

They need to clean up their act, or face much harsher penalties.

Reading back through this thread, I see Marc Willemont has been thanked several times by different posters, no "pile on" here!

He was apparently injured raiding Hereford United recently ... I don't know how we get him for the money ... Always on the case ... Probably sleeps hanging upside down in a cupboard at Plough Lane ... Ready to act at a moments notice ...  :tongue_32:

Daily Mail today:

* Gambian diplomats used Kensington embassy as a front for selling tobacco * Deputy Head of Diplomatic Mission Yusupha Bojang accused of role in scam * He and seven colleagues ordered 32 tonnes of tobacco, court hears * The scam saw the defendants abuse a tax exemption loophole, jury told * Court hears that the plot cheated the taxpayer out of £4.8million * Some tobacco orders were worth more than the diplomats' annual salaries * All eight deny conspiring to cheat the public revenue

Times must be tough if those at the top have to have second jobs.

He was apparently injured raiding Hereford United recently ... I don't know how we get him for the money ... Always on the case ... Probably sleeps hanging upside down in a cupboard at Plough Lane ... Ready to act at a moments notice ...  :tongue_32:

And here comes the tongue in cheek criticism for a good servant of our City. Humour is the preferred weapon of a bully, as it gives them the defence of "I was only joking?!?" and then the follow up 'Blame the victim for taking offence' reposte of "What's wrong with you? Can't you take a joke?!?" Did we learn nothing from Bobby's reflections in his 'Am I an online bully?' thread?

By the way, I'm only joking. Kind regards to you all.

And here comes the tongue in cheek criticism for a good servant of our City. Humour is the preferred weapon of a bully, as it gives them the defence of "I was only joking?!?" and then the follow up 'Blame the victim for taking offence' reposte of "What's wrong with you? Can't you take a joke?!?" Did we learn nothing from Bobby's reflections in his 'Am I an online bully?' thread?

By the way, I'm only joking. Kind regards to you all.

I think you need to get off your high horse George .... I don't think I need any internet preaching from your goodself ... You've obviously set yourself up as the forum internet etiquette expert ... 

• 1 month later...

From the Coventry Telegraph

A shopkeeper who was caught with hundreds of packs of illegal cigarettes has been jailed for six months.

Saadi Barashi, aged 44, was stopped transferring illicit tobacco from a vehicle into Albaraka Market, in Victoria Street, Hillfields, Coventry last year.

In October police and trading standards executed search warrants at Barashi’s home and business premises, discovering a significant amount of tax-free cigarettes.

Barashi was involved in running and stocking Albaraka Market and had been repeatedly warned for possessing illegal tobacco.

On November 28 at Coventry Crown Court Barashi was jailed for six months.

At an earlier hearing he pleaded guilty to possessing 153 packs of counterfeit cigarettes and 2,765 illicit packs of cigarettes, hand rolling tobacco and shisha tobacco with intent to supply.

The court ordered that the tobacco should be destroyed.

Coun Patricia Hetherton, chairman of the licensing and regulatory committee at Coventry City Council, said afterwards: “People can make a real difference to help keep more illegal tobacco off the streets by reporting it to trading standards.

“We need to keep the pressure up on those who continue to sell it, enforce and prosecute accordingly, as the case of Mr Barashi has shown.â€

The total value of the tobacco was £18,850.

As well as admitting possessing the illegal items he also breached a law that prevents the sale of tobacco without the correct health warnings.

Barashi will now be subject to proceeds of crime act proceedings that could see him forced to pay back any money made illegally - or face more time behind bars.

On the same day police raided Barashi’s place of home and work they also went to other unrelated properties, seizing more illegal shisha in a day than they ever have before.

Anti-smoking charities say illegal cigarettes kill four times as many people as illegal drugs.

A study on their contents revealed that some contained asbestos, human excrement and dead flies.

Some illegal cigarettes are produced legally abroad and shipped to the UK, avoiding the tax that makes up 75 per cent of the cost of a legal packet of cigarettes.