Robert Owen Free school

gdj

Just my thought - this school must be of concern to somebody in some sort of power - it appears that there are to many heads stuck in the sand who are thinking " it's nowt to do with me " they must stand up,and be counted - especially after Bobbys recent post relating to the Special School his grand daughter attends . One school has money thrown at it and another is struggling for money - appears to be an injustice .

I don't know anything about this Mr Hubble, but I do have very strong views on his academy's so-called 'modern extension'. View it from Waitrose car park if you haven't yet experienced it. But I warn you, it's a real shocker.

For a long time, I seriously thought it was a two-storey stack of Portacabins, which the builders refurbishing the old boys high school block on Widemaresh Street were using as offices and storage. Then someone came along and painted it with what looks like red oxide paint and stuck grey gutters and downpipes on the outside. The penny dropped: this is to be an architectural contribution to our city's built environment.

I think I'd rank it as the worst building in the west midlands! Chief Planner Andrew Ashcroft has a lot to answer for.

I don't know anything about this Mr Hubble, but I do have very strong views on his academy's so-called 'modern extension'. View it from Waitrose car park if you haven't yet experienced it. But I warn you, it's a real shocker.

For a long time, I seriously thought it was a two-storey stack of Portacabins, which the builders refurbishing the old boys high school block on Widemaresh Street were using as offices and storage. Then someone came along and painted it with what looks like red oxide paint and stuck grey gutters and downpipes on the outside. The penny dropped: this is to be an architectural contribution to our city's built environment.

I think I'd rank it as the worst building in the west midlands! Chief Planner Andrew Ashcroft has a lot to answer for.

It's as bad as those blue flats in Red Hill

• 1 month later...

This story is again national- in the Times Educational Supplement.  The school did badly in the GCSEs.  To be fair, many of its students are only there because they struggle with academic subjects and the idea is to  teach them more employment skills. However as the Conservatives stick rigidly to the 5 GCSE (A*-C) criteria for every other school, it has to be used to judge this one as well.

Just remember:  Over £3 million build costs (taxpayer),  22 staff including principal and deputy (both well over £50k),  Blackfriars land and building (over £1million lost to the council and therefore to other local schools).    Half the predicted pupils, three Heads on 2 years etc

https://www.tes.com/news/school-news/breaking-news/exclusive-just-one-pupil-hits-gcse-benchmark-free-school

A free school has spoken of its “disappointment†after just one of its students hit the government’s benchmark of five good GCSE including English and maths.  

It means that records will show that at Robert Owen Academy, a 14-19 free school in Hereford, only 4 per cent of its cohort met the target in this summer’s GCSE results.  

The HT has this in the printed copy but hasn't dared to put it on line yet (they have been cheerleaders for the whole project and even deleted comments that questioned it  - banning at least one poster for daring to suggest that they should ask more questions  :Winky: )

So, Jesse Norman, Bill Wiggin, Geoff Hughes - would you describe yourselves as "disappointed" like the school does, or "embarrassed, ashamed, and apologetic"?

Is this a better use of money than Blackmarston and 1 Ledbury Road?

Children let down, taxpayers let down and local schools undermined for a Conservative political experiment facilitated by Herefordshire Council.

As the results stand, if only 1 child got the 5A's etc and that equates to 4%, then they currently have, if I'm not mistaken, 25 pupils, I would imagine that numbers will not increase dramatically on this stellar news...

So, the city of classrooms at the Blackfriars site should see about 2 classrooms per pupil, maybe?

At least the flower beds outside Wickes look good...

The Council was always opposed to this as were almost every Head Teacher in the county. Chris Morgan, who founded the Robert Owen Trust wanted this although he knew council and educationists in Herefordshire were against. If any criticism is necessary it should be directed at him.

Geoff Hughes was only there to oversee Council's interests. He is not a governor/ trustee now, and he had a thankless task against the government and both MPs.

Thank you Chris,

The reason for my comments are that Geoff Hughes was a trustee during the time that the ROF was acquiring the council assets.  Bearing in mind his role in the council, and who pays his wages, he should not have been part of an organisation that was damaging council interests.  If, as you say, all people connected with education and within the council were opposed to the school, then again he should not have continued to be part of ROF at that point.  You say he is is not a trustee `now'.   The Charity Commission and Company Check websites still have him as a trustee - when did he actually leave that role?  

I would also point out that Blackfriars was vacated very fast and before the staff had anywhere to go in order to facilitate the school.   I don't believe that the council was obliged to declare it as redundant and if they had not, then the school which you say the council opposed, would have been at least delayed - someone chose not to oppose it then.  Also, as the school is no longer resident at Holme Lacey, has the council made any moves to recover that asset?  

I know that you (and, to be fair, Graham Powell) have opposed free schools, but the council as an institution has not publicly made any statements to that effect.   A council statement stating that the two MPs had forced through the school against the wishes and advice of local education professionals would be the brave thing to do - but I suspect that Tory political tribalism overrides the wellbeing of local children.  

ps Did you take on board the Legal points about the Ledbury Rd closure in the other thread?

Free School was debated at Council I think and all sides opposed. Council had to put GH on the board to look after its interests. Do not know why he is still listed as being a Trustee. It is standard practice on these occasions to ensure there is council representation. Courtyard, Halo, Hereford Housing, all had council representatives on board level at least in the beginning.

No1 Ledbury Road comes under scrutiny on 10th September, that is when the legality of events will come under scrutiny. Parents have received very helpful information from the Council since their initial talks, and the future is beginning to look a little brighter. There is still a long way to go.

I was in town and saw these vile coloured building blocks. This is what the building industry has come too? It looks like it should belong at Legoland and the colour is even better!!!

Like a few others have said I thought the buildings were portakabins for the builders. I should be surprised these units got planning permission as they are so out of keeping with the rest of the building and the Old Girls High School building opposite, but then it is Herefordshire Council, so I am not surprised in the least. 

A friends son with learning difficulties used to do catering in the old buildings but they were moved out for the Robert Owen School. A bit like the Asperger's film club - cancelled by the Council with just 2 weeks notice due to cuts. Their boy has faced nothing but good services that he needs being removed and nothing put in its place.

What I dont understand about the Robert Owen school is that I understood it took alot of children with learning/behavioural difficulties so a quiet countryside location with green open spaces (known to calm the brain and improve wellbeing) would be much better for the pupils. For this reason the Holme Lacy site made more sense. This City centre building is soon going to be surrounded by building sites and the associated noise and disturbance from the building/digging works. Perhaps the new road works and urban village buildings will drive out all the 69 pupils and then it will be ready and available for the new Hereford University at a knockdown price? 

Like a few others have said I thought the buildings were portakabins for the builders. I should be surprised these units got planning permission as they are so out of keeping with the rest of the building and the Old Girls High School building opposite, but then it is Herefordshire Council, so I am not surprised in the least. 

A friends son with learning difficulties used to do catering in the old buildings but they were moved out for the Robert Owen School. A bit like the Asperger's film club - cancelled by the Council with just 2 weeks notice due to cuts. Their boy has faced nothing but good services that he needs being removed and nothing put in its place.

What I dont understand about the Robert Owen school is that I understood it took alot of children with learning/behavioural difficulties so a quiet countryside location with green open spaces (known to calm the brain and improve wellbeing) would be much better for the pupils. For this reason the Holme Lacy site made more sense. This City centre building is soon going to be surrounded by building sites and the associated noise and disturbance from the building/digging works. Perhaps the new road works and urban village buildings will drive out all the 69 pupils and then it will be ready and available for the new Hereford University at a knockdown price? 

This is a good point Maggie and it makes total sense to me too. This school is right opposite the new shopping centre and more or less where they are about to start building the new link road.

• 1 month later...

Forgive me if its been mentioned previously but, I drove past Holme Lacy today and noticed a big sign on the school opposite Hortec, stating its now Robert Owens.

I thought it was only Haywood that had two schools!!

A basic requirement of school has got to be adding up and talking the native language. Plus tagging on some other subjects to meet basic levels of attainment. Did the Robert Owen School get 4% as a success rate for that last time? Some obscure vocational qualification in using a very expensive lathe is not cutting it in my book. No pun intended. 

• 2 months later...

The farce of this now gets increases

"The Great British Florist" has now opened up a shop on the ground floor of the new building in Blackfriars Street.

All that money spent on new buildings for a school where there are now so few pupils that they have to look for alternative uses.

It is a floristry school and workshop as well as a shop.

• 1 month later...

I noticed these retail units within the "school" but opposite the new retail development. Can anyone open up a retail unit in a school? I thought such things required a change of use application. Does this mean that these businesses pay business rates or do they get a different rate being part of the school grounds? It all seems very off. Does the canteen now offer Costa Coffee and/or Macdonalds for the public or are they missing another trick here! 

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone.

I might need help here, as I am at severe risk of developing a bee in my bonnet over this whole issue. I've just re-read this entire thread and I'm slowly becoming incensed. I need more information and plan to do some research to prevent my obsession spiralling out of control.

Let me explain.

I walk along Blackfriars and Widemarsh Street regularly. I've become increasingly annoyed at the apparent level of expenditure on this facility when you take into account the number of pupils and also the results achieved.

Row upon row of empty bike stands hint at the lack of numbers here.

How can any of this be justifiable.

I'm guessing that the fact that budgets are administered nationally, and not on a local or regional basis, means that relatively small amounts (most be several hundred thousand per year!) get lost between the cracks.

As we embark upon a new academic year I think it is a good time to re-examine (no pun intended) this facility.

I welcome any comments, good or bad, supportive or not, pupils, parents or staff.....

I just want to know what it's all about, what goes on there, who pays for it, what results they achieve, how many pupils attend etc....

Rant over (for now, at least!)

Apologies for coming back before anyone has had chance to reply to my last post. I did say that my silence would be short lived!

Devil and idle hands etc today...

Results of my initial online investigations:

Latest (only) Ofsted inspection rated the school as inadequate (the lowest rating) with shocking statistics on results and attendance levels. Inspection May 2015.

http://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/inspection-reports/find-inspection-report/provider/ELS/139895

Number of pupils (Jan 2016 dept for education website census) : 54 out of a capacity of 500!

Read this for interesting stats and further info : https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/schools/robert-owen-academy-hereford

In the impact assessment that was submitted by the school, presumably as part of their application process, they list the other schools in the area. When referring to The Hereford Academy that has an Ofsted rating of Good (i.e. one step down from the highest grading), they say that it has "relatively poor attainment"! How would they result themselves then on that scale I wonder??!

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309372/Robert_Owen_Vocational_School_Impact_Assessment.pdf

This all takes some believing.

I'm going quiet again now while I have a cup of tea!

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone.

I might need help here, as I am at severe risk of developing a bee in my bonnet over this whole issue. I've just re-read this entire thread and I'm slowly becoming incensed. I need more information and plan to do some research to prevent my obsession spiralling out of control.

Let me explain.

I walk along Blackfriars and Widemarsh Street regularly. I've become increasingly annoyed at the apparent level of expenditure on this facility when you take into account the number of pupils and also the results achieved.

Row upon row of empty bike stands hint at the lack of numbers here.

How can any of this be justifiable.

I'm guessing that the fact that budgets are administered nationally, and not on a local or regional basis, means that relatively small amounts (most be several hundred thousand per year!) get lost between the cracks.

As we embark upon a new academic year I think it is a good time to re-examine (no pun intended) this facility.

I welcome any comments, good or bad, supportive or not, pupils, parents or staff.....

I just want to know what it's all about, what goes on there, who pays for it, what results they achieve, how many pupils attend etc....

Rant over (for now, at least!)

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/537046/Financial_notice_to_improve_Robert_Owen_Academy_Trust.pdf

have a read of this its being kept from the public and parents of the school

Wow, shots fired!

Thanks for that sullyswife, looks quite formal, and fairly serious I'm guessing.

Surely this should be publicised?

Story there for the Hereford Times?

It will be interesting to follow the developments, and to see if they are able to comply with the fairly robust requirements of the notice.