Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

7. Public Realm Services - Balfour Beatty Living Places

To provide an update on the services provided by Balfour Beatty Living Places (BBLP) during the first year of the council’s Public Realm contract to enable the committee to provide feedback to Cabinet and inform the work of the Task and Finish Group which has been established to examine this area in more detail.

Quite a lot of self congratulatory information to read here.

Yes, a rose tinted view if ever there was one. Here's the harsh reality - I reported this offensive graffiti on 1 July - I cycled there today expecting to see it all cleaned up, but no, its's still there, 8 weeks on. Disgraceful. For all Amey's faults, and there were many, many of them, they had a very effective graffiti team, who cleaned up within 24 hours of it being reported. Sorry it's a small photo - some cretin has sprayed 'Poland' over the direction.

From the Council's website - 

"Responsibility for removing graffiti

The council is responsible for removing graffiti from public buildings, street furniture and monuments but we cannot remove it from private property. We aim to remove graffiti of a sexual, racial or offensive (contains expletives) nature within 24 hours."

So why is it still there 8 weeks later? I have written again to complain. Why do we have to do all the running when the council are paid to do it?

post-858-0-33827700-1409504327.jpeg

Hi Roger, sorry for the delay in replying!

I walked the Ash Path again yesterday....and they appear to be dredging it!! I think someone must be reading these threads!!

The Ash Path - when it's maintained - is great! I have walked it at all times of the day and night! Just me and the dog, and I feel quite safe. I believe that Bulmers CCTV covers at least half of the path going up towards Yazor Road. It was better when the cut through onto the old Whitecross School site was open, as you could nip across, and back onto the main road if it was late. Now you either have to turn around and go back the way you came, or carry on up to the top!

I was told that this would be opened up again once the site was developed, but that all seems to have ground to a halt...again!

The lighting could be improved, but it's the overgrown trees and shrubs that make it seem a little scary at the moment.....even I'm not too keen on walking down there in the dark at the moment!!

There is quite a bit of wild life to be seen.....squirrels, foxes....I have even seen the odd badger! There are bats in the early evening, and .....rats! Yes, I know they have always probably been there...but I saw two large brown ones on the path yesterday....eeek!!!!

They are usually on the bank by the stream (which I had previously posted, isn't flowing...and is completely dry at the Bulmers end) but they are now wandering around the paths as well!!

Hopefully, if the stream gets going again, they will be back on the bank!!

Well well well, just read this is the HT's

Council admits "complete misjudgement" over grass cutting

HEREFORDSHIRE Council has admitted that it "completely misjudged" the public response to slashing its spend on grass cutting.

That response pushed the council into a policy shift that radically altered its budget saving plans.

Now, every councillor has been told they have a duty to downplay what can be expected from the council's £200 million 10-year public realm contract with Balfour Beatty.

And if communities want more beyond what the contract offers, they will have to go DIY.

See article 

Yes, a rose tinted view if ever there was one. Here's the harsh reality - I reported this offensive graffiti on 1 July - I cycled there today expecting to see it all cleaned up, but no, its's still there, 8 weeks on. Disgraceful. For all Amey's faults, and there were many, many of them, they had a very effective graffiti team, who cleaned up within 24 hours of it being reported. Sorry it's a small photo - some cretin has sprayed 'Poland' over the direction.

From the Council's website - 

"Responsibility for removing graffiti

The council is responsible for removing graffiti from public buildings, street furniture and monuments but we cannot remove it from private property. We aim to remove graffiti of a sexual, racial or offensive (contains expletives) nature within 24 hours."

So why is it still there 8 weeks later? I have written again to complain. Why do we have to do all the running when the council are paid to do it?

I returned to check on this yesterday, 10 weeks on from reporting, sad to say it is still there. My formal letter of complaint submitted two weeks ago has not been answered or acknowledged. This is the reality of outsourcing - nobody gives a damn about the service, just take the money. I shall now write to Leader Johnson.

• 2 months later...

Our petition added some weight to this of that, I am sure. Result! Hopefully.

Despite the plethora of views expressed everywhere over the last 12 months about Balfour Beatty and their grass/pothole stuff they are now going to embark on a pointless County wide roadshow to canvass opinion from the locals about what people think they should be doing ... I read it in the Hereford Times

Topics that might crop up are grass cutting and road maintenance ... Just a wild guess ... 

...they are now going to embark on a pointless County wide roadshow to canvass opinion from the locals about what people think they should be doing ... <snip>

Topics that might crop up are grass cutting and road maintenance ... Just a wild guess ...

Why is it pointless? At least they are asking.. You might be right about the topics though!

Here's the questionnaire (apols that it's taken so long for me to post it). According to my source, it needed to be brief as people wouldn't want to take the time to fill in pages of questions. It also needed to be fairly specific, to get specific answers, ie not vague.

1. During the last financial year we have repaired 67,000 potholes. We have also been carrying out resurfacing works. If there is one road in your area that you could have resurfaced, which one would it be?

2. Street cleansing - are there any streets in Hereford city/ Bromyard/Ledbury/Ross/Kington/Leominster that need cleansing more regularly than they have been? Yes/no

If yes, which ones?

3. Drainage/flooding - are there any locations in your area that flood routinely in wet weather? Yes/no

If yes, which ones?

Are you aware that it is the landowners responsibility to keep ditches maintained? Yes/no

4. Parks/landscaping/trees/verges

This year, with the agreement of Council, 3 grass cuts were carried out in urban areas. Next year, should we target these cuts differently? Yes/no

If yes, where should we carry out less cuts to enable us to fund more elsewhere?

Where should we carry out more grass cuts?

As you know our overall budget is limited. Please rank the following in order of priority (1st/2nd/3rd etc)

Parks/landscaping

Grass/verge cutting

Footpath maintenance

Ditch maintenance

Street cleansing

What else do you consider a priority?

Any other comments?

Thank you for your time.

Then there is a space for people to put their contact details. There is a draw to win a hamper as a thank you for taking the time to complete the questionnaire.

The last roadshow is next Wednesday in High Town.

'Street cleansing' ~ just more Council speak ... I got about 3 foot of leaves behind my house that have fallen from the Council trees (they fall in October) ... Usual mud bath a result ... I perceive contact with the Council over that to be pointless ... 

'Street cleansing' ~ just more Council speak ... I got about 3 foot of leaves behind my house that have fallen from the Council trees (they fall in October) ... Usual mud bath a result ... I perceive contact with the Council over that to be pointless ... 

I don't know if you are able or fit enough, but what's wrong with you clearing some of them up? Taking a bit of pride in where you live? If you aren't able, then report them. If the leaf fall is obstructing a footpath then they have a legal obligation under the highways act to clear them up.

Of all the things that are worthy of a complaint, trees shedding leaves shouldn't make the list!

Honestly, if the council can put forward a case that by chopping it down it will save them £12.83, over the next five years.......they'll have those chainsaws out, quicker than you can imagine!

Leaves - today I have collected up 8 bags of leaves from around my garden , I store them away and by next April I will have some super compost for my ( Mrs U ) pots , hasn't cost a penny and will please Dippy - it's just common sense to recycle.

And if age comes into it I would presume that I am one of the older Posters !

I don't know if you are able or fit enough, but what's wrong with you clearing some of them up? Taking a bit of pride in where you live? If you aren't able, then report them. If the leaf fall is obstructing a footpath then they have a legal obligation under the highways act to clear them up.

I'm not averse to getting me hands dirty or helping out but we are talking an industrial volume here. When the Council did actually do a proper job up Churchill Gardens it was not just a couple of green bags worth of leaves ... It was truck loads ... :-)