The High Town Bomb Site

Aylestone Voice

Someone told me toady that

the insurance payout won't cover the costs of rebuilding since English Heritage got involved.

Nearly triple the original cost.

So are we now left with no movement unless some sort of Lottery Grant is forthcoming? Any serious business would not develop the site for retail as the Town Centre is a dead duck .... 

Well in the meantime why can't the council put a canvas image up? At least it will look better than the eye sore we have today.

I took these photos when on holiday in Corfu, we travelled to Paxos island, I know its not the best but it will give you an idea of what I am talking about, look at the canvas (pink building) in front of the old building, from a distance it looks like a real building.

P1010100.JPG

P1010097.JPG

Well in the meantime why can't the council put a canvas image up? At least it will look better than the eye sore we have today.

I see what you mean ... This was in Manchester City Centre to disguise building work ...

Manchester.jpg

But we don't have a building site ... Just a deserted bomb zone ... The token effort of the mural was probably done on a voluntary basis ... 

The idea of a photographic image over the scaffolding was one measure suggested by the BID group when they were canvassing the BID scheme. They now need to get on and do it!

These photo facades always seem to be in place around buildings that are being restored in the background. I think there would be a danger that if one appeared in High Town then it would just be an excuse to let the shell behind to drift along for another 5 years with nothing being done. I think the site should be flattened immediately. 5 years looking at scaffolding is no joke. This needs to come to an end.