The High Town Bomb Site

Aylestone Voice

Dear Lord, no, not again! Shabby and shanty town spring to mind. The terms of the Council's enforcement notice said that a representation of what had been approved was to be applied to the hoarding ie a life size picture of new shop fronts. Obviously now the plug has been pulled, no one is going to do anything much. Should have just left it plain.

B_G7x_oXEAAPLoS.jpg

Mural suggests the hoarding might be there for some time! WW1 theme .... 

You might be right Roger...perhaps poppies will appear in the Spring/Summer next year!

I've got no objection to the murals or the people painting them .... I do object to that farce that has left those buildings bombed out since Oct. 2010! 

The mural is to commemorate the role of the Herefordshire Regiment in their landings at Suvla Bay at Gallipoli in August 1915. There will be events to commemorate this later this year.

Before you all pass comment on its "quality" why not wait until it is finished.

Whilst the hoardings have been replaced it is unlikely that they would have been left graffiti/fly posting free for too long. Yes it would be much better if this site were redeveloped but even if work started today there would still be a hoarding there for some months.

I believe the mural will both improve the appearance of the site and importantly bring to the attention of all of those in the city centre the significance of the courage  of Herefordshire residents 100 years ago.

The frustration for me does not lie with the hoarding or what ultimately dresses it's surface. No it's the fact that it suggests that it's going to be around a long time and that is a shame. We can't ignore but we can't treat until consent is given.In healthcare there is nothing worse than offering a life saving solution but for whatever reason the patient refuses your help. Eventually we will see restoration but for now we wait, we observe,we comment.

Unfortunately..... whilst we wait, and observe and comment, High Town is still left looking as if a bombs been dropped on it!

Not a great advert for the city, particularly with The Three Choirs Festival imminent. The last time we hosted this renowned festival, it looked horrendous.

Visitors who return to Hereford as we host it again - three years on - will surely be as astonished and dismayed as many of the locals, that it looks pretty much the same.

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed the other day that somebody had defaced  the mural by writing messages to friends and girls in three places, I drew it to the attention of a Tory cabinet member who was walking through high town, he said what do you expect me to do about it and just shrugged !!!

Maybe that was your opportunity to tell him to get the bloody hoarding ripped down and building sorted! In some respects, I wish the place had burned to the ground at least then we would of had something nice, new and modern to look at instead of this monstrosity! That would of attracted new business into the unit too. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't been past the bomb site for a while but is any scaffolding left? I read in the HT that the scaffold licence wouldn't be renewed after the 80 day enforcement period which ended on 12th February. It was still there on 2nd March as you can see it on the picture earlier in the thread ... 

• 2 months later...

Fire-damaged building could remain untouched for "a significant period of time"

4018188.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc3

A FIRE-damaged building which has blighted Hereford's High Town for five years could remain untouched for a "significant period of time", a leading councillor has warned.

The former Card Factory building has been labelled an eyesore having stood undeveloped since the huge blaze which took hold of the property in October 2010.

Hopes of a restoration were dashed earlier this year when the owners of the site, Omaha Properties Ltd, went into administration.

And this morning, the cabinet member for infrastructure, Cllr Philip Price, told full council it may be some time before there is a positive solution, despite the council being notified of some interest from a charity.

"The company that owns it has gone into administration," he said.

"We have had a an interested party looking into it. We will work with any developer wishing to bring it back to life, but it's going to take time.

"We can debate it as much as you like, but the council is not a developer."

It's difficult but don't be surprised if there's no solution to the building for a significant period of time."

Cllr Price was responding to an update request from former Hereford mayor, Cllr Len Tawn.

Last year, the Lib Dem's parliamentary candidate for Hereford and south Herefordshire, labelled the building an "eyesore".

The two brands affected by the fire, Card Factory and River island, are now trading from elsewhere in the city.

In recent months the site has at least shown signs of looking more attractive after permission was granted for artist Maxine Williams to paint a mural on boards surrounding the building.

The work depicts county soldiers who fought during the Gallipoli campaign in the First World War.

It shows The Herefordshire Regiment landing in August 1915 at Suvla Bay ahead of a bloody baptism of fire which claimed 70 lives while almost 1,000 were evacuated through wounds or sickness.

The mural, which includes the names of those who died, was officially unveiled last month by the Lord Lieutenant of Herefordshire, Lady Darnley.

Hereford Times

Well here's a thing, having searched thru companies house records there is no mention of  "Omaha Properties Ltd" Many other companies called Omaha xxx Ltd, but no one called Omaha Properties Ltd.... unless they're based in New Zealand.

So we have a conundrum, a ghastly eyesore in an area where the council want to spend 2.5 million in regeneration.

During the last war, many cities were bombed to extinction, Afterwards the councils just compulsory purchased the land and then sold it on to developers...usually at a profit. It was up to the previous owners to prove title, and get meagre recompense from the relevant council. Why can't this happen here ?

So if OPL is in liquidation ( assuming it is/was even in existence ) the receiver/creditors etc will be glad of any cash... however small, couple that with the insurance payout that somebody has received and I reckon a CPO of say £150.00 on a like it or lump it basis, then find a real developer who'll pay the council say £500,000 and hey presto more money for redevelopment. And an eyesore is removed.

I like your thinking toroidal. I was thinking about a compulsory purchase route myself. Presumably there is someone dealing with the insolvency/liquidation of whoever owns that building. Why can't they be approached and something get thrashed out? Just to throw the towel in and suggest the shell could be stood there for years is a defeatist attitude and unacceptable. Plus there are presumably creditors of the bankrupt owners who could benefit if it was purchased. I suppose the biggest creditor might be HMRC tho ... 

By the way .... Who is paying the rent on that scaffolding? It must be the biggest bill ever. 

I would prefer the whole facade to be flattened. And I don't think many people are desperately lying awake at night worrying that the building gets rebuilt exactly the same. Anything sympathetic to the surroundings would do I think ... 

What a cop-out by the Council. If they had taken proper enforcement action 4 years ago we would not have this sad situation. Instead, as evidenced by the considerable correspondence I have on the subject, our Council chose to 'encourage' the owners to rebuild! The owners, Foreign & Colonial REIT, clearly had no desire to rebuild because their would-be tenants were all on their way over to the OLM! So, instead, they pocketed the insurance money and sat on their hands.

I very much doubt there will be a commercial buyer for the site as we already have a glut of empty retail property in the historic centre. So, the only answer will be some form of community asset. As I have heard suggested, even if the buildings were demolished and a small city garden created, it would help to enhance the struggling historic core.

No doubt our Council, who were happy to submit a last-minute £500k to British Land in order to secure the OLM, will say they have no money for such projects!

What a cop-out by the Council. If they had taken proper enforcement action 4 years ago we would not have this sad situation. Instead, as evidenced by the considerable correspondence I have on the subject, our Council chose to 'encourage' the owners to rebuild! The owners, Foreign & Colonial REIT, clearly had no desire to rebuild because their would-be tenants were all on their way over to the OLM! So, instead, they pocketed the insurance money and sat on their hands.

I very much doubt there will be a commercial buyer for the site as we already have a glut of empty retail property in the historic centre. So, the only answer will be some form of community asset. As I have heard suggested, even if the buildings were demolished and a small city garden created, it would help to enhance the struggling historic core.

No doubt our Council, who were happy to submit a last-minute £500k to British Land in order to secure the OLM, will say they have no money for such projects!

I think the series of events with these buildings over the past 5 years even with Council involvement we would still have this ugly blight on our City center.

What enforcement action are you talking about because it took nearly four years for the insurance company to pay out did it not.

Psst Harry!

Over here. I think the idea of a city garden, a green space in High Town is wonderful.

I would also love to see the reinstatement of some trees.... but I only whisper this, as many other members seem to be fed up with hearing about them....!

Perhaps we could start some sort of guerrilla planting group?? I'll supply some hand knitted balaclavas, if you can provide the spades???

Psst Harry!

Over here. I think the idea of a city garden, a green space in High Town is wonderful.

I would also love to see the reinstatement of some trees.... but I only whisper this, as many other members seem to be fed up with hearing about them....!

Perhaps we could start some sort of guerrilla planting group?? I'll supply some hand knitted balaclavas, if you can provide the spades???

Now you're talking! Trees and a city garden! What a difference that would make instead of chewing-gum, broken paving, empty planters, boarded-up shops and billowing litter!

but who actually owns/owned this plot.

Here is the F & c press release:

Historic F&C name survives major BMO rebrand
By Dylan Lobo 11 Jun, 2015
819975-System__Resources__Image-944312.j

BMO Asset Management has decided to keep the historic F&C name following a major branding exercise 12 months after it bought the firm.

F&C can trace its roots back to 1868 when Foreign & Colonial launched the UK’s first investment trust. In 2001, the firm was acquired by Eureko and rebranded as F&C Asset Management.

While BMO will become the dominant brand at the merged entity, there will be no name changes within F&C's investment trust and funds business. The savings scheme badge, F&C Investments, will also remain intact.     

F&C chief executive Richard Wilson (pictured) told Wealth Manager: ‘F&C will be the secondary brand and we will be sympathetic to the strong loyalty from the customers.

He added: ‘There’s a lot of trust in that [F&C] brand. We recognise the value of it and appreciate it, we must be sensitive to that.’ 

On the broader corporate level though the firm will employ BMO, with the institutional, intermediated retail and wholesale businesses becoming BMO Global Asset Management. Additionally, F&C Reit will rebrand as BMO Real Estate Partners (Brep).

So where does Omaha fit in ? The whole thing sounds more than fishy to me.

As for city allotments, well it would work if somebody nicked the facade!!!!!!

Seriously though this whole thing stinks, yes the insurance money has been paid out... to whom I wonder.

The council have done nothing, the same council that Compulsorily purchased Rockfield for a road that will only give relief to ambulances and delivery lorries yet allow this eyesore to remain.

A compulsory purchase order is a great idea and the idea of a city garden faantastic but in order to raise a CPO you need to direct it to someone and that's the complicated bit.

I can't imagine that the people who are currently in charge of the 'asset' would be too hard to find. 

Well that would be the administrator's then...so come on council let's get going.

It's a well drilled exercise to get the parking tickets issued virtually around the clock ...... More energy has to be spent sorting out the bomb site I think ....