Cllr Jim Kenyon Q&A Balfour Beattie Contract

Colin James

The councillors me included will be having a full briefing on Tuesday at brockington towers, I will not be able to update you til at least the week after as I have a family bereavement to deal with so please be patience or perhaps one of the other councillors on here could update you.

Any news about your meeting Jim?

Hereford Times: 3:39pm Thursday 17th April 2014 in News By Bill Tanner

Call for DIY council services in Herefordshire

THE era of DIY council services is near as communities across the county are urged to take on the likes of street cleaning and grass cutting for themselves.

Opposition group It’s Our County (IOC) says it’s time localism came to life as Herefordshire Council's 2014-15 service budget steers millions of pounds into roads at the expense of  - street cleaning and grass cutting.

"As it stands, spending within the Balfour Beatty Streetscene contract is skewed towards road management & maintenance, leaving such community-critical services as parks, open spaces, grass cutting, weed-killing, verges, litter and street cleaning described as discretionary," said IOC deputy leader Councillor Liz Harvey.

“The message is clear, the appearance of our neighbourhoods is no longer a priority for this council - it’s down to us," she said.

At grass roots, a number of local "In Bloom" groups are taking over flower beds and planting schemes  while sports clubs are in transfer talks over playing fields.

Communities are opting to have simple paths cut through green areas on estates and encouraging wild flowers and grasses for wildlife habitat to grow.

But Cllr Harvey says localism also means getting down and  dirty to take on littering and dog fouling.

"We have fines for both, let’s start using them,†said Cllr Harvey.

“Let’s start taking a pride in where we live, encouraging others to do the same and picking up litter when we see it dropped by others," she sad.

Parish councils in Ross & Ledbury have started community dog warden schemes.

As reported by the Hereford Times, highway maintenance is the priority for the draft service plan set for approval next month.

Councillor Price, cabinet member infrastructure, said that, as a consequence, sums to deliver routine services like grass cutting and street cleansing had reduced.

"We have had to make some difficult decisions about how and when these services are delivered," he said.

If we are to have "Localism" can anyone explain how Neighbourhood Plans are applied to the city wards? It appears the county council are only interested in rural parishes. Is the city council doing anything about this?

You can probably manage to mow a small grass verge adjacent to your property but Churchill Gardens is behind my house and you'd need more than a flymo to tackle that. 

It's been neglected there for about 4 years ... Looks a total shambles up there ... 

• 3 months later...
Council News today:

21 July 2014

A team of local road experts are hitting the ground running as they tackle a backlog of repairs on Herefordshire’s more than 2,000-mile network.

Balfour Beatty Living Places (BBLP), contracted by Herefordshire Council to provide road maintenance, is recruiting locality stewards to serve every ward.

Although the full line-up won’t be in place until mid-August, the scheme is already proving a success.

Newly appointed locality steward Phil Pankhurst took up the cause in Brimfield, where local people had complained for years about the state of the roads, particularly Wyson Lane, which is used extensively by school buses and commuter traffic. 

“Because I’m the new guy on the block I got to hear straightaway about the problems,†said Phil. 

“There was understandably a lot of general disenchantment after three years of trying to get the work done.  So it was fantastic to be able to tell them that resurfacing work is now in the schedule for August, when the school buses aren’t running and weather prospects are good.â€

The locality stewards provide a vital link between Ward and Parish Councillors, and Balfour Beatty operations. Brimfield councillor John Stone was full of praise for what Phil has already achieved.

“I’m absolutely thrilled about this,†he said.  â€œIt’s a great early success for the locality steward scheme. And I’m really grateful to Phil.  Last year Balfour Beatty came back six times to repair potholes but it’s only a temporary solution.  In some places the road had almost collapsed. It’s not cost effective to keep coming back to make repairs. Phil has not only achieved his objective but at the best time of year when that road is quietest and hopefully the work won’t be affected by the weather.â€

Herefordshire Council is making a major investment in the county’s highways over the next two years, spending an extra £20 million fixing roads that are in the greatest need of repair and have the greatest value to local communities. But even that figure falls short of the estimated £100 million needed to return the county’s highways to 'as new' throughout.

Cllr John Stone added: “I’ve been a councillor for 14 years and been battling for better roads all that time.  In the past there have been a lot of complaints about the lack of communication.  I must say I’m finding that Balfour Beatty are supplying much more information on what’s happening and where. If the public know what’s happening and when, they will understand the situation much better.â€

Other schemes are now being fast tracked including replacing rusty gullies in Stoke Prior and resurfacing at Mansel Lacy and West Hope Hill in Weobley

The Locality Stewards team is just one of a series of initiatives being implemented by BBLP on behalf of Herefordshire Council.  Last year BBLP won the council contract to look after Herefordshire’s road maintenance, street lighting and cleaning as well as the responsibility for public rights of way, parks and open spaces. 

Thirteen locality stewards are being appointed to look after nine localities, Bromyard, Kington, Mortimer, Golden Valley, Ledbury, Ross-on-Wye, Hereford, Leominster and Weobley.

Rachel Dixon, looking after the Mortimer in the north of the county, said the job was all about prioritising the needs of her patch including roads, pathways, rights of way, parks and open spaces.

“‘It’s a fantastic challenge starting off in a new job from scratch,†she said.  â€œI’m really looking forward to championing local issues and making a difference.â€

It’s not unknown territory for Rachel who used to be a Rights of Way Officer for Mortimer.

“Rights of way could be very contentious so I’m used to dealing with a few hot potatoes,†she said.  â€œBecause of that, I have good relationships with the community and all the right contacts.â€

BBLP’s lengthsman scheme, where parishes employ someone to inspect and clear drains and gullies regularly, is also beginning to make a difference too. 

“Gullies at Mansel Lacy have now been unblocked and opened up,†added Phil Pankhurst, “which will help prevent flooding in the long term.  BBLP are providing 600 tonnes of material to do the major resurfacing and under the enhanced lengthsman’s scheme, the lengthsman will fill in the smaller holes to finish the job.â€

BB have had the cotract for over a year. It's about time something was seen to be done. Regarding the 13 locailty stewards - maybe not as knowledgeable as the 30 local people they made redundant. Who's responsible for Hereford. Time to introduce yourself on this forum. Regarding the provision of materials, it is the council tax payer who is paying for this out of the £200 million being paid to BB over the next 10 years. 

In Wiltshire they have withheld their payments to BB until they get their act together. “The service being provided isn’t good enough,†the council’s deputy leader John Thomson admitted to members in a briefing note.

Chris Johnston, The Guardian Thursday 24 July 2014  

Huge construction and services company likely to be created if boards recommend it – decision must be made before 21 August.

£3bn construction and services company is likely to be created after Balfour Beatty and Carillion revealed that they are in talks about a merger.

Carillion, one of Britain's biggest support services companies with annual revenues of more than £4bn, made an approach to Balfour Beatty, which has been under pressure since Andrew McNaughton departed as chief executive in early May after just a year in the job amid a profit warning.

The companies said after the stock market closed that both boards believe that a merger has the "potential to create a market-leading services, investments, and construction business of considerable depth and scale". However, the proposal will only go ahead if both boards recommended it to shareholders and no decision had yet been reached about the structure of such a deal.

Should be able to afford a brush and pan between them. Maybe now Andrew McNaughton has left he can spend a few hours in Hereford High Town tidying up.

These mergers are too big. About time the jobs returned to local companies. What is certain if these two merge is that there will be more jobs going.

Once again Herefordshire will end up employing a contractor for the vast majority of a contract that it didn't select.  It happened with Jarvis who went rapidly down the pan after they were employed; Amey bought them out, they were never originally selected.

I see that the cabinet have expressed concern about the way in which the present contract was procurred:

http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents/s50019575/Cabinet%20Minutes%2012%20June%202014.pdf

""concern was also expressed that the reprocurement of services previously provided by Amey should not be regarded as an achievement due to the manner in which it was managed."

Sold down the river yet again.

Carillion is just the kind of cuddly, caring company that would be ideal for Herefordshire.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/jan/05/nhs-clinic-closure-patient-death

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2012/oct/04/carillion-accused-intimidation-swindon-hospital

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/comment/jim-armitage-carillions-clever-way-with-tax-7565599.html

I'm with Megilleland on these outsourcing companies - they are too big and too powerful.  They no longer bring a bit of private business efficiency into public sector operations - they are more wealthy than the councils that employ them and can run rings round even the massive commercial and legal brains that we have in Herefordshire.  Profit from the contract does not recirculate in this area.  The senior executive positions funded by the contract are hot held by people living here - it is a false economy when looked at as a complete picture.  

Notice that in the papers today councils want to tax out of town supermarketsLocal councils have asked the government to give them new powers to tax large supermarkets under a system similar to that already in place in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

A group of 20 local councils have backed what has been dubbed a "Tesco Tax" in order to increase revenues which they say would be invested in the local community.

Businesses already pay business rates and we contribute to their profits by shopping there. Any tax increase will be paid by us indirectly with price increases. The problem is the council tax and business rates we pay locally are used by the council to fritter away on hairbrained schemes to enhance their egos and political friends.

Things are getting out of hand in the UK with decreasing value in the money you earn and spend. It's also not about keeping the money local, but keeping it in the country - a lot of it is taken offshore. Maybe the councils can ask Cameron to do something about this instead of trying to rattle sabres with Putin.

Yes I heard that this morning and straightaway thought HC will be next  but it does only apply to the mega large supermarkets.  In fairness to Tescos/Sainsburys and I expect Morrisions  do do an awful lot for local charities and that really does count.  I would rather see them contribute to local charities than to HC where anything contributed just gets gobbled up in large salaries and generous expenses to already overpaid suits! 

• 3 months later...
Herefordshire Council Newsroom 7th November 2014

Herefordshire Council’s public realm contractor - Balfour Beatty Living Places (BBLP) - is holding a series of roadshows around the county and is inviting local residents to have their say.

The next roadshow is on Friday (November 7) in Kington when the town’s locality stewards will be on hand to discuss how BBLP delivers services ranging from highways, street lighting and cleaning, to public rights of way, parks and open spaces.

Andy Williams, BBLPs contract director, said “We want the views of local people to help us to refine the way we work, whether that’s reporting a pothole or putting forward different grass cutting priorities.â€

The consultation sets out BBLPs draft plans for the coming year amid ongoing budget cuts. The Council has to save £33 million over the next three years and BBLP will need to do some things differently and stop doing others altogether.

This year grass cutting was one of the services to face unprecedented cuts which led to widespread concerns about the impact on open spaces. In response extra grass cuts were added to the schedule and a new grant scheme for green spaces was launched.

Cllr Paul Rone, cabinet member for highways, said “Lessons are being learnt from this year but ongoing cuts mean we have to do things differently. We hope people will come along to these roadshows and talk to us about what’s important to them to help us to improve our plans for the coming year.â€

The roadshow will visit Hereford at 10am to 2pm, Wednesday, November 26 in High Town Market.

It makes you wonder what was agreed when BB managed to get £20 million a year off the council for the next 10 years. Or was the problem that the council never had the money to pay them and it is the council that have reduced the services for residents and decided that the grass will not be cut regularly? Obviously a deal between them that provides poor value for money for residents and rate payers. The roadshow visit seems very restricted, but no doubt will suffice for public consultation.

There are going to be road shows in each locality as I understand it. Bromyard, Kington and Ledbury have already had theirs. Next week it's Mortimer and Leominster. Week after Weobley, Ross and Golden Valley. There's apparently a questionnaire to fill in, should we want to, so that the priorities of the people who live in each locality can be taken into account. Ward councillors had a chance to give their input at an exhibition at the Shire Hall a couple of weeks ago, and in any case are in regular contact with the stewards. Public consultation will give the opportunity for us all to have our say, if we want to..

Yet another "consultation" to take place when most folks are working.

Anyone would think they don't want to hear that many views and opinions!!

Hillbilly, I shall pick your brain if you don't mind! The questionnaires that you mention in your post above, are these available on line, or are they to be completed at the roadshows??

• 2 months later...

Balfour Beatty doesn't appear to be in the limelight lately. Looking at the latest Council expenditure and contracts information

Balfour Beatty Living Places
01/09/2013 to 31/08/2023 - Contract length
£200,000,000.00 - Estimated whole contract value

10 year contract at £20,000,000 a year

The only expenses I can find are for the last 4 months below

Expenses for
£3,575,856.86 December 2014 
£4,316,424.45 November 2014
£4,453,926.25 October 2014
£4,520,091.03 September 2014

£16,866,298.59 in 4 months

So it looks as if they are going to spend the yearly allowance within 5 months at this rate. I know the government gave the council some extra money for the roads, but should this not be shown as a separate figure. How much was given to Balfour Beatty prior to the dates above considering their contract started on 1st September 1998 - nothing is shown? Can any councillor elucidate or have I completely missed the point?

Balfour Beatty doesn't appear to be in the limelight lately. Looking at the latest Council expenditure and contracts information

Expenses for

So it looks as if they are going to spend the yearly allowance within 5 months at this rate. I know the government gave the council some extra money for the roads, but should this not be shown as a separate figure. How much was given to Balfour Beatty prior to the dates above considering their contract started on 1st September 1998 - nothing is shown? Can any councillor elucidate or have I completely missed the point?[/quote

Apologies Megilleland just remind me..the contract for roads covers what classifications exactly? Am I right in thinking that the Highways Agency cover the major 'A' roads?

Somebody has seriously messed up on the budget here particularly as our weather has not been that dramatic so far.

Thanks TWG.

I appreciate that there are many roads in Herefordshire in need of repair in fact I intend to submit my alloy wheel reconstruction bill to the HC following a drop into a pothole recently.

I'm very concerned about the main easterly roads out of the county particularly the A44,438,417 and 4103.

• 1 year later...

Expenses for

So it looks as if they are going to spend the yearly allowance within 5 months at this rate. I know the government gave the council some extra money for the roads, but should this not be shown as a separate figure. How much was given to Balfour Beatty prior to the dates above considering their contract started on 1st September 1998 - nothing is shown? Can any councillor elucidate or have I completely missed the point?

Did the contract start on 1st September 1998? Looking at the Council's payment figures to Balfour Beatty from September 2014 up to May 2016, the figures seem to tell us that at the present rate of average monthly expenditure the Balfour Beatty 10 year contract costed at £200 million will only last just over 65 months, just over 5 years. I think I have worked this out correctly.

1  Â£4,520,091.03   Sep-14
£4,453,926.25   Oct-14
£4,316,424.45   Nov-14
£3,575,856.86   Dec-14

£16,866,298.59  Total

5   £2,416,328.99     Jan-15
  6   Â£2,978,053.73     Feb-15
  7   Â£2,228,913.62     Mar-15
  8   £2,888,130.47     Apr-15
  9   Â£3,416,096.37     May-15
10   Â£2,589,848.76     Jun-15
11   £3,006,089.34     Jul-15
12   £3,082,875.49     Aug-15
13   Â£2,638,848.57     Sep-15
14   Â£2,369,411.11     Oct-15
15   Â£3,338,204.74     Nov-15 
16   Â£3,405,718.93     Dec-15

£34,358,520.12  Total

17  Â£1,873,472.19    Jan-16
18  £1,910,101.26    Feb-16
      £1,910,101.26    Feb-16 (2 payments in February)
19  Â£188,907.60       Mar-16
      £2,060,343.78    Mar-16 (2 payments in March)
20  Â£2,664,809.74    Apr-16
21  Â£2,473,588.32    May-16

£13,081,324.15 Total

Total spent so far £64,306,142.86 over 21 months.

Average sum paid over 21 months £3,062,197.28

At the present rate of spend the 10 year contract would cost us £367,463,673.48

What happens when Herefordshire Council has spent its £200 million and the contract has another 55 months to run? What do we get for our council tax?

I think the £200m was just for painting the names on the vans - everything else is extra. I think the £4m or so in March and April would be for 'enabling works' to allow work to start on the Link Road - if we can be charged £80k for the hoarding, it's not hard to see why we're burning through borrowed money so fast. £4m plus - what - £10m already spent on land acquisition, is leaving 'only' £13m for construction …