That bomb-site in High Town!

Harry Beynon

I see they've had a fire in the Norfolk town of Fakenham it was a large fire in the town centre. I wonder how long it will take them to repair the damage?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-27564523

Witnesses have reported that a car fire caused the blaze.

Quote from Eastern Daily Press article  

Sounds like that car insurer might be taking a big hit ...  :tongue_32:

• 2 months later...

I now realise that this topic has been debated several times on these pages over the last three years, but that is the point - it's been THREE YEARS! . . . . and there is still no sign of anything being done.

The historic city centre cannot hope to compete with the OLM while this scandal is allowed to continue. When are the Council going to realise that the owners - an investment trust - are not going to rebuild voluntarily. They cannot attract a tenant and would be inviting the payment of rates on an empty building. Instead, the Council need to enforce a rebuild.

I invite everyone on this forum to badger their Councillor to insist that the Cabinet take action against the owners and give the city centre a chance. of renewal

They cannot attract a tenant

Buildings burned down Oct. 2010 ... So nearly 4 years ... The site is only suited to a charity shop at the moment ... and that is if it wasn't burned down ... You would probably make more money pitching a tent in the High Town ... 

The historic city centre cannot hope to compete with the OLM

I'm going to disagree there - simply because I haven't found a single reason to go back to the OLM after my first look around.

I'll probably use the cinema ... at some point. And might try the food places once or twice, despite all of the bad reviews.

Until H&M moves to the OLM, I find no use for it. Sure it looks shiny and it is much much better than what was there before, but at the end of the day it's just a tonne of clothes shops and some food places.

• 4 weeks later...

The headline screams....."Hereford Fire Site Faces Enforcement Action."

Reading through the article, the last sentence reads, "Councillors heard that the option for enforcement was open should the relevant talks not prove fruitful."

Hmmmm......so, are they....or aren't they?

I see from the comments underneath that Megilleland also picked up on this.Are they finally going to get to grips with this, or is it all just more bluff and bluster??

When they serve the Order will it give a date by when the work must commence and , perhaps more important will it give a date by when the building work must be finished -

I know nothing about these types of orders but I bet that it's a toothless tiger with so many loopholes.

Section 215 (s215) of the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 (the Act) provides a local planning authority (LPA) with the power, in certain circumstances, to take steps requiring land to be cleaned up when its condition adversely affects the amenity of the area. If it appears that the amenity of part of their area is being adversely affected by the condition of neighbouring land and buildings, they may serve a notice on the owner requiring that the situation be remedied. These notices set out the steps that need to be taken, and the time within which they must be carried out. LPAs also have powers under s219 to undertake the clean up works themselves and to recover the costs from the landowner.

Some good case studies at the end of the document.

What is the point of rebuilding with no lined up tenant? I know this eyesore is p!ssing everyone off but rebuild to what end? The focus is now elsewhere and the size of the damaged buildings could never attract main names ... They are just too small and the area is dead ... Other than the street trading ... 

Because it should not be left like that it's a disgrace!! unless it's rebuilt obviously no one is going to want to use it but when it is then I'm sure they will get some tenants in? personally I'd rather see it rebuilt & empty to the state it is currently in!!

Precisely Cambo.

It's a complete eye sore.

And tourists certainly don't visit Hereford for the OLM development! They are far more likely to want to spend time in the historic core of the city. We have a duty to protect and preserve these buildings.

When Debenhams free rent expires and they leave, it's High Town that will still be standing. It's up to us to ensure it's still standing in as good as condition as possible!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

While you were away...

Promising meeting yesterday in #Hereford with architects & English Heritage re High Town burnt out shops.I think we've found the way forward

My only concern is English Heritage are involved.Expect another three or so years before they make their mind up on anything from the right nail to be used to the right paint 

Blah blah blah, they announced about Hook Mason over a year ago and we are still looking at this monstrosity. I wish the place had burned to the ground at least now we would have a new building probably with tenants too. 

• 4 weeks later...

Exerp from HT:

The county council to solve the problem of the burnt out shops in Hereford city centre will be considered in the next few months.

A fire ripped through the former River Island shop in High Town in October 2015 and has not been rebuilt since.

Optimism! Forget the talks, it been going on for more than 3months!!! Hurry up with the CPO and reinstate some more shops. You will gain valuable much needed assets and we will regain some more shops and possibly some faith with the council.

• 4 weeks later...
Interesting agenda coming up this Friday

Recommendation(s)

THAT:

a) Subject to the conditions outlined at paragraph 17, the listed building premises known as 16-18 High Town (shown edged in red on the location plan attached to this report) are purchased and a compulsory purchase order be approved if necessary; and,

b) Authority is delegated to the director for economy communities and corporate, following consultation with the relevant cabinet member and director of finance, to approve the business case and take all necessary steps to effect the purchase within the financial parameters set out within the report.

"This is about sending out the signal that we are not waiting any longer; get on with it."

Factually incorrect statement by the Councillor as they have already factored in an extra 5 1/2 month delay until the end of July ... Too little too late ... 

From the HC website:

Agreement to pursue the right to compulsorily purchase the fire damaged building at 16-18 High Town in Hereford was made at a meeting of the council’s cabinet today, Thursday 11 February.

The move will mean that, in the event that no significant progress has been made to redevelop the site, the council can take action to purchase the building and ensure its regeneration. The building is currently in the hands of its former owner’s receiver who went into liquidation last year. If the receiver fails to sell the building over the coming months to a party with plans to restore the building, the council may then pursue the option to buy.

Cllr Philip Price, cabinet member infrastructure said:

“It’s been a long and arduous journey to get to this stage. When the previous owners went into receivership it left us with limited powers to enforce the restoration of the building.

The restoration of the building is key to the future successful refurbishment of High Town and the attractiveness of High Town as a shopping destination.â€

The fire, which happened in October 2010, left the building extensively damaged and it was reported as being one of the most severe fires known to have occurred in modern day Herefordshire. 

• 5 months later...