Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Screwfix Opening in Hereford

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:54 PM

I hear from a good source that Screwfix will be opening on the old Floors2Go site, you may have noticed work has commenced this week and that they are currently in the process of demolishing the car wash.

Screwfix_Direct_Logo.jpg

and rumour has it that Toys-R-Us or Home Bargains will be opening in the old Comet premises

home-bargains-logo-1.jpg

although nothing has been confirmed as far as I am aware.

This has to be a good thing, nothing worse than empty stores.

Attached Thumbnails

• SF.jpg
  • comet.jpg

#2 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:20 PM

It is nice to hear something positive for once. Good news and hopefully more local jobs for people. :Happy_32: The site where screwfix is going has been empty for years, I would imagine that building is in much need of repair.

#3 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

Far be it for me to be the pessimist :D
But a Toys R Us would be amazing and I'm sure a screw fix would do well... but... we don't have the road infrastructure to cope with such things and I'm almost certain a Toys R Us would push The Entertainer out of business in the same way Hobbycraft did to Paperway etc. While these shops are great, they will lead to a more desolate high town.

I only point this out because I used to shop at Next and have only once had a look in the new one since it moved. I, like MANY, other people, avoid the North of Hereford before 10am and after 11am, due to such poor traffic conditions. I frequently "pop" into high town, but, consequently, going to PCWorld/Maplin/Dunelm.B&Q etc is a major planned trip for myself that easily takes half of the working day. 

Only yesterday I needed something from Maplin, it was a 3 hour round trip from leaving my town house to buying one thing in Maplin, parking in Tesco to go to the bank and post box and getting a Coffee (Cart) before heading home. 3 hours.

#4 Mick

Mick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 09:48 PM

But a Toys R Us would be amazing and I'm sure a screw fix would do well... but... we don't have the road infrastructure to cope with such things and I'm almost certain a Toys R Us would push The Entertainer out of business in the same way Hobbycraft did to Paperway etc. While these shops are great, they will lead to a more desolate high town.

It's called competition!

I only point this out because I used to shop at Next and have only once had a look in the new one since it moved. I, like MANY, other people, avoid the North of Hereford before 10am and after 11am, due to such poor traffic conditions. I frequently "pop" into high town, but, consequently, going to PCWorld/Maplin/Dunelm.B&Q etc is a major planned trip for myself that easily takes half of the working day. 

I actually find shopping in Next much easier to be honest, easy to park no hassle unlike when it was in town which is a shame for the retailers in town I guess...

Only yesterday I needed something from Maplin, it was a 3 hour round trip from leaving my town house to buying one thing in Maplin, parking in Tesco to go to the bank and post box and getting a Coffee (Cart) before heading home. 3 hours.

#5 Bill Thomas

Bill Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 29 October 2013 - 10:01 PM

Oh come on please lets not find something to moan about this! The first postive post in a while and your being a pessimist, I really enjoy reading your posts Biomech but you really do need to look at some things in a better light and in a more positive way, surely you did not want to continue seeing both these empty buildings...did you? 

#6 K.Butt

K.Butt

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

Oh come on please lets not find something to moan about this! The first postive post in a while and your being a pessimist, I really enjoy reading your posts Biomech but you really do need to look at some things in a better light and in a more positive way, surely you did not want to continue seeing both these empty buildings...did you? 

I Cant believe a member has found a reason to complain! This is good news, very good news and nobody is cutting any tree's down so even the weirdo's can't complain about this one lol

#7 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

Funny how people start accusing others of complaining when they bring realistic concerns to the table... 

I love Toys R Us, it would be amazing to have one here, but let's be realistic, this is still just a rumour. How many times have we been told something new is coming - an ice rink, a multi screen cinema, laser quest - only for a big let down.

All I'm saying is that, and I'm SURE you will all agree, let's get the infrastructure sorted out to make opening these new places easier, more viable and more sustainable.

And no Mick, it's not competition, a small high town business has no chance against a large corporation. I'm not knocking TrU, I don't even go in the Entertainer, but the fact remains that it will force them to re-evaluate their position in Hereford.

And I know you're not serious about parking in Next because we had the discussion on the Next/B&M carpark only a couple of weeks ago. Unless, of course, you're one of the ones who park on perseverance road and block traffic?

So just to recap, I'm not against TrU or Screwfix, not in the slightest. I'm saying that, given the way the city is run and the traffic flow problems, it will add to it and, along with the extortionate business rates in town, will lead to the closure of smaller shops. Which is why, as I've stated, I like many others don't travel to that area of town as often as I'd like.

But you honestly think we don't need to work on the infrastructure of the city then, by all means, keep telling me I'm moaning.

Edited by Biomech, 30 October 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#8 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

Maybe if I make it a bit more simple, because I know many of you like to run away with your emotions and miss the point.

Are there serious traffic concerns around Edgar Street and the A49 North? - Yes

Does opening a new public space bring, by it's very nature, more traffic/footfall? - Yes

Will more traffic on an already congested road bring more congestion - Yes

Are the business rates in High Town causing small businesses to struggle? - Yes

Who can afford higher overheads, a small business or a multi national corporation? - MNC

Who has more choice, a small business or a MNC? - MNC

Who is more likely to suffer, SB or MNC? - SB

So in summary, opening a large MNC - and awesome exciting fun MNC - on a congested road will bring further congestion and traffic concerns and further stress on already struggling small businesses.

Logic, that's all I'm asking for, a bit of logic and realism.

Now, instead of just jumping on your high horses and telling me that I'm moaning, what you should have said was;

"If the traffic is so bad that people avoid the MNC, then the SB will survive as it has a prime and more accessible location". - wouldn't that have been better?

#9 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

you really do need to look at some things in a better light and in a more positive way, surely you did not want to continue seeing both these empty buildings...did you? 

:) Of course not, but it's the basics of pretty much anything in life from logistics, software design to architecture and building houses - you put/fix the foundations first. I'm sure you'll agree.

I admit, I am a very pessimistic person, but my philosophy has always been if it's broke fix it. Once you deal with the negatives you only have the positives left. And while I realise that you don't know me or what I do, I can assure you that you would be quite surprised with what I have achieved in my life because of this outlook.

#10 K.Butt

K.Butt

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Maybe if I make it a bit more simple, because I know many of you like to run away with your emotions and miss the point.

Are there serious traffic concerns around Edgar Street and the A49 North? - Yes

Does opening a new public space bring, by it's very nature, more traffic/footfall? - Yes

Will more traffic on an already congested road bring more congestion - Yes

Are the business rates in High Town causing small businesses to struggle? - Yes

Who can afford higher overheads, a small business or a multi national corporation? - MNC

Who has more choice, a small business or a MNC? - MNC

Who is more likely to suffer, SB or MNC? - SB

So in summary, opening a large MNC - and awesome exciting fun MNC - on a congested road will bring further congestion and traffic concerns and further stress on already struggling small businesses.

Logic, that's all I'm asking for, a bit of logic and realism.

Now, instead of just jumping on your high horses and telling me that I'm moaning, what you should have said was;

"If the traffic is so bad that people avoid the MNC, then the SB will survive as it has a prime and more accessible location". - wouldn't that have been better?

Personally I see where you are coming from but I do not think opening these two stores (if it happens) will have the impact on traffic that you are worrying about, I for one, would not expect massive differences in the already traffic jam capitol because of these additional stores, Comet has only recently closed and I have not seen an improvement in traffic flow since their closure. Yes opening these stores may have an impact on the smaller stores but unfortunately its a free World and the bigger stores have as much right to trade as the smaller ones and I agree with the Mick, as sad as it may appear, it is competition, I know its like Dave verses Goliath but that's the World that we now live in.   

#11 Sgreen

Sgreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:18 PM

Whilst it is great to be bring new life into the city, I think if research is done you will find that it might be tru that struggle, 9 out of 10 items that they sell you can find cheaper in the entertainer. I also think we need to be filling the shops in the new development that encouraging out of town development.

#12 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:10 AM

Home Bargains has opened, there are some real bargains on branded products to be had but there is also some tat in there too, but certainly worth a visit. I purchased a few items, in particular a small bottle of Diet Pepsi for 29p!

#13 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

I saw this post pop up and was worried for a second heh I thought my carwarsh was going!

I did see the home bargains setup the other day when I went to B&Q, I wonder how it will compare/compete with B&M?

Any news on Screwfix or the car wash going? Or Toys R Us!

#14 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

And, of course, I couldn't help noticing that despite all the accusations of moaning - 6 months later we have no Toys R Us or Screwfix or any additional news ;) :P

#15 Sgreen

Sgreen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

And, of course, I couldn't help noticing that despite all the accusations of moaning - 6 months later we have no Toys R Us or Screwfix or any additional news ;) :P

Screwfix has opened by the carwash and tool station have opened inside wikes.

#16 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

How can you miss Screwfix ?
The car wash has had a complete revamp too.

I heard that some company had pulled out at the last min buying or renting the rest of the Chadds buildings,anyone know who it was?

#17 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Screwfix is open and has been for several weeks.

#18 Biomech

Biomech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Screwfix is open and has been for several weeks.

You know I was going to say haven't we already got screwfix, then I realised this was an old thread.

Where is it? Up where topstiles is/was?

edit: sorry, just seen sgreens post. I haven't washed the car for a few months so that'll be why. Like I say, I avoid Hereford when I can - particularly that side of the city

Edited by Biomech, 23 February 2014 - 02:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users