Herefordshire Community Toilet Scheme

Colin James

• Like I said on face book, when out on the beer at midnight , or roaming the streets looking for my local councillor (any idea what political party his is supporting this week?) I need to know what time these toilets are open, at my age when I need to go , I need to go.

Last time I walked past Franklin House there was no Community Loo sign. That was a month ago. I have been left with the impression that it was trumpeted on the Council website as being in the scheme but in practice a walk by punter (maybe a tourist) wouldn't know. I don't go into town very often as it's turned into a dump but I am going in next tuesday for a haircut so I'll take another look and see if one's appeared ... ... 

Ironically Franklin House was used more as an unofficial public loo before the Council took it over ~ due to the recessed front doorway. That's if some hobo wasn't sleeping in it. When they shut up shop for the day now they roll down an opaque security shutter to block off the doorway (which obscures any signage on the door behind). Good idea as the waste in that doorway was horrendous before that happened. Rather like the West door of the Cathedral before they gated it off. A magnet for druggies, students and tramps.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I take it that Blackfriars is now off the list, as the council have vacated it for the Robert Owen school.

Does this mean we will now be made welcome at their new home on Whitecross Road???

Anyone know when the planned re-furb of the Shire Hall is scheduled to take place? At least those toilets will be in a central position!!

• 2 months later...

This was handy yesterday when I was in town to be fair, but we still need public toilets available to us.

3035902.jpg?type=articleLandscape

Hereford public loos to reopen

PUBLIC loos are open again in Hereford city centre, working on a ‘pay as you go’ system.

On Saturday the conveniences on East Street reopened – making it the first public loo in the city to reopen after, 12 months ago, Herefordshire Council announced that all the county’s public facilities would close due to budget cuts.

Hereford City Council stepped in, helping to fund loos on East Street and, by next month, those on Union Street.

The toilets use a coin-operated lock, costing 20p, which will help contribute to the cleaning costs.

However they will be free for disabled users, who can access them using a RADAR key – a scheme which allows diasabled people access to more than 9, 000 loos nationwide via a key they purchase from their local authority.

Hereford Times

RADAR.jpg

RADAR keys readily available on the internet for a couple of quid  :Happy_32:

arrrrgghghghgghhh

Roger - what an annoying little man you really are.

This council has NO MONEY left.

They re open the toilets - and charge you 20p to spend a penny.

You then go and show not only Hereford but the whole world on how to get around this charge of 20p.

WE CANT AFFORD TO CUT THE GRASS!!!!!!

Now the few quid the council can make to IMPROVE services, you want to take that away from them.

Madness.

I dont agree with how all public money is spent, but, YOU will have managed to take away just a few quid more.

Well done.

I would have to say a big Well Done to Jim, and also the City Council.

The closure of public toilets has been a huge issue, and to get these up and running again, is really positive news!

Yes I'd agree with that & 20p ain't that bad it's far better than wetting your pants & getting a fine for urinating in the streets!!

I think a poster said there were toilets in Waitrose.....I don't think there are any public toilets as such, although I seem to recall a poster(Two Wheels possibly??) Saying there were some shown on the original plans......but I may have got that wrong, my memory is dreadful, and most days I find it harder and harder to distinguish between reality and some very vivid dreams I have on a nightly basis!!

Roger - what an annoying little man you really are.

Your view. And I'll live with it ... 

I'm in the current age where information is exchanged a million times a second. You seem to want to revert back to the Stone Age ... 

Well done to Cllr. Kenyon and all of his hard work.

Touching on this Radar Key business, not entirely sure I agree with Roger's post, however, what does annoy me is WHY is it FREE for Disabled people? Do they need to use the toilet more than me then? 

I'm all for business ventures, but pay to use toilets should be an ADDITIONAL service offered by private business owners.

They should absolutely NOT be relied upon by the council in place of public toilets.

We pay tax and going to the toilet is a human right - a necessity. 

Charging people for this is absolutely ridiculous, it is no different to charging people for farting.

Again, cut my services as much as you like, but give me my ******* money back