Oval Plans Get The Go-Ahead

Glenda Powell

Taken from HT.

A £30m redevelopment of a Hereford estate has been approved by by herefordshire Council planning committee. Councillors voted in favour of the demolition  of the Oval at Newton Farm so that 259 flats, houses and bungalows can be built in its place.

The council cabinet has backed the plan and it enjoys widespread support within the community.

Herefordshire Housinh (HHL) has had designs on the Oval  for some time which included the demolition of much of the area's existing layout. Earlier this year the council gifted part of  the land at the site of the former Vortex Youth Centre to kickstart what will be  one of the most significant residential regenerations projects ever taken in the county.

Yesterday (Wednesday) planning committee members heard  how three storey blocks on Kilvert Road, broxash Drive, Belmont Rd and Beattie Ave would go to make way for the 259 new mixed tenure homes to be built.

The plan also includes improvements to existing shops and open spaces, and a new community facility . Built over a planned six year programme, the redevelopment would be made up of one and two bedroom flats,one bedroom bungalows, and two,three and four bedroom houses.

HHL will manage half of the properties with the rest to be sold by keepmoat, HHL's development partner.

The committee was recommended to back the development in principle, leaving the final authorisation  to officers once specified conditions are met.

As the ward councillor who is a member of the Oval Housing Management sub group for this development, I will be looking at the decant of tenants of the flats, and the re-housing of the tenants. some tenants have already moved from Beattie House flats, with just three remaining tenants to be moved, to enable this block of flats to be demolished. As soon as there is any further news I can tell you I will. be assured I will continue to assist tenants with their move so to make the process as less stressful as possible for them. I have fully supported  the regeneration of the Oval area from its concept, and will continue to do so to enable my residents to live in new, warm accommodation, and for the first time for many have a garden for their children to play safely in.