We Need Better Lane Guidance On Hereford Roundabout

Colin James

'Stay In Lane' Signs Would help here.

Note: The NEW 3rd lane in Edgar Street is for traffic heading for Whitecross or for traffic wanting to go all the way around the roundabout and back down Edgar Street ONLY! It is NOT for people to cut back across to go over the bridge! Traffic for Ross Road needs to be in the left lane and traffic for Belmont or Abergavenny please use the middle lane.

Indeed, we now have the better lane guidance, it's just a shame that no one pays attention to the new markings.

Changing lanes with clear indication and space is one thing, cutting people up is something completely different.

So again, I'd like to suggest that a patrol car sits down there to encourage people to think about what they are doing.

We had a near miss here yesterday, because some fool swung across and cut us up......I was so cross, I shouted "You Wally!"

That's very strong language for me!

Yep I have this virtually every time and now you can clearly see people becoming impatient with those stupid temporary traffic lights and they change lanes, moving from the middle lane into the new right lane in order to save time but then change back across instead of going along Whitecross Road! I just hold my hand on the horn ! This needs sorting it really does! They should have the police sitting there for a few weeks pulling people over and giving them tickets because this is an accident just waiting to happen in my opinion.

Just thought I'd add to this although the lines do not exist anymore.
Many a time I was in the middle lane when vehicles to the right and left were not in correct lane and I had to toot my horn

before they hit me but one time a few years back it did not help as I was hit in the front wing by a gent in the lane to go around the roundabout.
He turned out to be the father of the bloke who owns Cavanaghs :-)

This new setup is confusing, unless it's me?

If you are travelling from south or even coming out of Whitecross Road (A438) towards the roundabout there are 3 lanes, the right hand lane by Steels says (on the road in paint) A49S, surely that should be the middle lane? The reason I say this is because if you follow that lane around assuming that you do actually want to head south towards the A49, you then have to change lanes back across to the middle lane half way around (which I always complain about) because as you pass the Edgar Street exit there is a signpost on the grass of the roundabout showing 2 left lanes for the A49S and the 3rd right hand lane says A438 (Whitecross road and Brecon Road)which is the lane that you are in!!

(But if you enter the roundabout from Edgar Street you need to be in the middle lane, so if they say that this is correct, at what point do they expect you to change lanes?)

Can one of the Councillors please clarify this is correct with the highways agency please?

I have today written a letter of complain to the Highways Agency

even coming out of Whitecross Road (A438) towards the roundabout there are 3 lanes, 

I'm confused as to were you mean Colin. Coming out of Whitecross, there are 2 lanes that then turn into 4 lanes that approach the roundabout.

I've never looked at the writing, but, lets call them L, LM, RM and R.... L is Edgar Street, LM is Edgar Street and City (towards aylestone), RM is City (towards firestation) and A49 South, tesco undergound and Ross Road and R is A49S/Belmont/Whitecross.

Edit:

Perhaps you mean next to the subway. Again there are 2 lanes coming from Whitecross Road and yes, 3 on the A49 from the South. 

I'm confused as to were you mean Colin. Coming out of Whitecross, there are 2 lanes that then turn into 4 lanes that approach the roundabout.

I've never looked at the writing, but, lets call them L, LM, RM and R.... L is Edgar Street, LM is Edgar Street and City (towards aylestone), RM is City (towards firestation) and A49 South, tesco undergound and Ross Road and R is A49S/Belmont/Whitecross.

Edit:

Perhaps you mean next to the subway. Again there are 2 lanes coming from Whitecross Road and yes, 3 on the A49 from the South. 

Yes there are 4 lanes not 3 my bad, ok I have attached a photo from the link you provided  it is the R lane on the roads it sats A49S but surely this is wrong? If it is not it's confusing because you cannot stay in lane! At some point (just past the 3rd exit) you need to swing back across into what would then be the middle lane because there are only 3 lanes from the Edgar Street exit. This 4th lane in my opinion should just be for the A438 exit...

hfd6.png

Yes there are 4 lanes not 3 my bad, ok I have attached a photo from the link you provided  it is the R lane on the roads it sats A49S but surely this is wrong? If it is not it's confusing because you cannot stay in lane! At some point (just past the 3rd exit) you need to swing back across into what would then be the middle lane because there are only 3 lanes from the Edgar Street exit. This 4th lane in my opinion should just be for the A438 exit...

attachicon.gifhfd6.png

Yes yes yes!!! I have always wondered WHY when there are 3 lanes all around this roundabout that this silly little section has got 4 lanes? The far right lane that Colin James is referring to should ONLY be for the A438 exit because this is causing problems too.  :Angry:

hrmmmmm not sure, if you get in that lane marked "Ross Road", before you would be on the.... I'd have to look, I can't picture it. But I believe going that way, I'd be in the Ross Road lane, end up in the left lane facing the tesco exit, and then into Tesco underground.

So I imagine that Ross Road lane would now fall into the middle of the new 3 lanes facing the tesco exit.

Hard to say without seeing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing I noticed the other day is that if you're from from the river towards the tesco roundabout and you want to go around and into the Tesco underground or back up Ross Road... there's a yellow box in front of the OLM. However, you can't see the other side of it very clearly so you don't know if it's clear to go into or not until you're actually in it.

On this shot, the yellow box isn't in the middle lane - but I'm sure it is now, because I was sitting in it! I'll have a double check tomorrow

http://goo.gl/maps/hVQ2A

I have to report that I am guilty of getting in the wrong lane :Thumbs-Down::Surprised_32:, but as I am incognito it will be hard to have a go :Cool_32::tongue_32:, I travelled around the roundabout from the Whitecross direction following the markings for going south on the A49 and found myself in the right hand lane going the wrong way, not sure what went wrong later on I again travelled the same route and sure enough the same result, in my defence I must say that the lane markings could be improved somewhat but as they are new I suppose we will have to wait for years to get something done. I must point out before the clever dickies say ought,  I was not wearing my disguise at the time :Grin:.

• 1 month later...

I have a perfect example of this from today.

I'm rubbish at roads so bear with me.

Heading out of town on Newmarket Street, I used the right hand lane as a means of getting around to Edgar Street. As I approached the lights the subsequent lane was 3 cars deep so I decided to take the inside lane to avoid blocking traffic wanting to get to Sainsbury's, thus I would head into the second lane on Edgar Street.

As the lights turned green I passed two cars on my outside and was in the middle of the junction, the first car in line decided to cut completely across my nose and went back on a course for Newmarket Street. Who the f-... uses that lane to go back around? Are people really that stupid? The donut didn't even register that I was there, and frankly it was just ridiculous. I nearly had my car taken out within 5 minutes of acquiring it from Steels on that roundabout after a dozy tart decided to stray into my lane.

It's not just lane discipline some of these drivers need to learn, it's how to freaking drive. I haven't been a driver for very long, 2 years, and yet I seem to have experience beyond the ages compared to some of them.

post-958-0-23330800-1389569654_thumb.png

post-958-0-49609800-1389569714_thumb.png

I have a perfect example of this from today.

I'm rubbish at roads so bear with me.

Heading out of town on Newmarket Street, I used the right hand lane as a means of getting around to Edgar Street. As I approached the lights the subsequent lane was 3 cars deep so I decided to take the inside lane to avoid blocking traffic wanting to get to Sainsbury's, thus I would head into the second lane on Edgar Street.

As the lights turned green I passed two cars on my outside and was in the middle of the junction, the first car in line decided to cut completely across my nose and went back on a course for Newmarket Street. Who the f-... uses that lane to go back around? Are people really that stupid? The donut didn't even register that I was there, and frankly it was just ridiculous. I nearly had my car taken out within 5 minutes of acquiring it from Steels on that roundabout after a dozy tart decided to stray into my lane.

It's not just lane discipline some of these drivers need to learn, it's how to freaking drive. I haven't been a driver for very long, 2 years, and yet I seem to have experience beyond the ages compared to some of them.

It's all about being in the correct lane initially and staying in that lane from your description I would of been in the left lane from the start, but it's all quite confusing and an accident just waiting to happen.

I've just been around there (see next post)

This is how I see it working.

Steels approaching the roundabout . 1, 2, 3, 4

1 = Edgar Street 

2 = Edgar Street right / New Market Street L

3 = New Market Street R / A49 L Ross

4 = A49 R Belmont

Facing Tesco exit, new lanes; 1, 2, 3

1 = Into Tesco Buses / A49 L Ross

2 = A49 R Belmont

3 = Whitecross

So imagine it exactly the same as before. Now all you have is the additional 3rd lane for those wanting to peel off to Whitecross and not sit in the A49 traffic for 2 hours.

So..

Coming from Steels to go to Ross Road or Tesco Carpark, you go in the 3rd lane which becomes the 1st lane facing tesco bus exit

Coming from Steels to go to Belmont or Asda, you go in the 4th (furthest right) lane which then becomes the middle lane facing the tesco bus exit.

Coming from Steels to go to Whitecross, you go in the 4th (furthest right) lane which then becomes the middle lane facing the tesco bus exit, pulling off right into the 3rd/far right lane for W/Cross

If anyone has an up to date diagram, I'd be happy to draw out the lines

And, as I mentioned, I have just driven this... ridiculous. It's ok and it's usable if people actually do what they are supposed to.

Coming from Steels I wanted to go to Asda

Furthest right lane (4) into middle lane in front of the bus exit. That's how it's supposed to be (imo).

Waiting at the lights I had 3 cars to my left (1st lane Ross Road) trying to force their way in to my/middle lane. Only for them to end up in the left ross road lane after the roundabout. Clearly they were all in the wrong lane on Edgar Street. Not only that, all 3 were sitting in the yellow box, several beeped myself and the cars in the correct lane and the cars coming from Edgar street - now having no where to go because these cars had filled up the yellow box - where also beeping at everyone.

The yellow box is problem, it covers too many lanes and you can't see if it's clear on the other side because of the angle of the junction.

Anyway, after sitting on the bridge for 10 minutes and then seeing the gridlocked queue trying to get out of Asda, I gave up and went home. I, stupidly, thought that the traffic would be slightly better at 2pm on a Saturday with less works traffic and no school running around. I was wrong.

• 5 months later...

I wanted to know what the road layout actually is now. I've noticed new road markings. Coming from Whitecross Steels to go around the roundabout by Tescos to go over the bridge do we need to drift from the farthest right lane (that goes back towards Whitecross) into the middle lane or be in the correct lane in the first place? I'm starting to doubt myself as nearly everytime I go around that roundabout someone cuts me up from the right (inside lane) and then swears at me for not being in the right lane? But surely if they needed to change lanes and I haven't needed to then they wern't in the right lane in the first place?

I'm sure plenty of folks will offer you words of wisdom on this one, Howler......I just wanted to say "Welcome!"

We seem to be cut up on this roundabout every single time we use it......people just don't seem to know how to navigate it!

The problem with lane guidance is many of us locals do not recognise the road numbers, Say we want to head up edgar street, Not everyone knows that is called the 'A49 NORTH' and most people do not know that dual carriageway bit that goes around town is called that 'A438 EAST' outsiders following their satnat will be even worse because that don't care what road they need to use, only the general direction they need to go in, their just zombie slaves to their satnav masters. I don't see a solution to this problem?

Lane 4 northbound onto the roundabout needs to be corrected, it does indeed just take you back down where you came from and not a49s as stated unless you cut across lanes and cause an accident.

Another gripe is people heading a49 north at starting gate roundabout and using the second lane, many a near miss here, even though lane guidance is clear. Also the new lane they added on a49 heading south to 'relive congestion' doesn't work because hardly anyone uses it, even though lane guidance is clear.

well thats my rant for the day.

• 3 weeks later...
Coming from Whitecross Steels to go around the roundabout by Tescos to go over the bridge do we need to drift from the farthest right lane (that goes back towards Whitecross) into the middle lane or be in the correct lane in the first place? 

You'd go (Lanes numbered X of Y, Left to Right):

Bridge and Ross Road: 

Out Side Steels 2/2

Approachine Roundabout: 3/4

Tesco Bus Entrance  1/3

You'll now be in the left lane of the A49 Soundbound for Ross

Bridge and Belmont/Asda:

Out Side Steels 2/2

Approaching Roundabout: 4/4

Tesco Bus Entrance  2/3

You'll now be in the right lane of the A49 southbound for Asda/Belmont

For Whitecross/back to Steels

Out Side Steels 2/2

Approaching Roundabout: 4/4

Tesco Bus Entrance  3/3

You'll now be able to peel off down to Whitecross

I've just been around there (see next post)

This is how I see it working.

Steels approaching the roundabout . 1, 2, 3, 4

1 = Edgar Street 

2 = Edgar Street right / New Market Street L

3 = New Market Street R / A49 L Ross

4 = A49 R Belmont

Facing Tesco exit, new lanes; 1, 2, 3

1 = Into Tesco Buses / A49 L Ross

2 = A49 R Belmont

3 = Whitecross

So imagine it exactly the same as before. Now all you have is the additional 3rd lane for those wanting to peel off to Whitecross and not sit in the A49 traffic for 2 hours.

So..

Coming from Steels to go to Ross Road or Tesco Carpark, you go in the 3rd lane which becomes the 1st lane facing tesco bus exit

Coming from Steels to go to Belmont or Asda, you go in the 4th (furthest right) lane which then becomes the middle lane facing the tesco bus exit.

Coming from Steels to go to Whitecross, you go in the 4th (furthest right) lane which then becomes the middle lane facing the tesco bus exit, pulling off right into the 3rd/far right lane for W/Cross

If anyone has an up to date diagram, I'd be happy to draw out the lines

I think your in the wrong lane, if you are coming from Victoria Street (Steels Side) and you want to go around the roundabout to come back over the bridge towards Abergavenny/Belmont then ideally you would need to be in the 3rd lane (NOT the 4th Furthest on the right!) follow this lane around and you will not need to change lanes at all. 

Colin is correct in post number 9 here

No it's definitely right :)

The 3rd lane approaching the roundabout becomes lane 1 facing tesco bus exit.

The 4th lane approaching becomes the middle lane facing tesco

The 3rd lane facing tesco (whitecross) is an addition - like a "slip" road/lane

Colins post was based on the older layout. With the new layout the 4th lane puts you in A49S right (Belmont) with the option to change lanes into the 3rd/R for whitecross

You can see it here https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.0574557,-2.7197556,291m/data=!3m1!1e3

The new layout just adds the addition 3rd lane facing Tesco. The rest remains the same. So here you can see and follow the lanes around. 3rd becomes 1st, 4th becomes 2nd (and no optionally 3rd slip in new layout)

Maybe a little clearer here: http://binged.it/WOAGjJ

• 2 years later...

No it's definitely right :)

The 3rd lane approaching the roundabout becomes lane 1 facing tesco bus exit.

The 4th lane approaching becomes the middle lane facing tesco

The 3rd lane facing tesco (whitecross) is an addition - like a "slip" road/lane

Colins post was based on the older layout. With the new layout the 4th lane puts you in A49S right (Belmont) with the option to change lanes into the 3rd/R for whitecross

But in my experience, the people who use the 4th lane are often just trying to beat the traffic, I would be sat in the 3rd lane and someone comes past me at speed then wants to cut back across into my lane, it appears like they are cutting you up, which is actually what they are doing. This feels even worse if you are driving from Edgar St and you are in the right hand lane (not the filter lane for Whitecross Rd) wanting to come south of the river and someone coming from the Whitecross Rd side is directing their car into your lane. 

I was always taught to STAY IN LANE going around roundabouts and ring roads, it is not difficult. I saw someone only this morning bombing along the 4th lane (they had just left Whirecross Rd) cut into the 3rd lane to then go all the way across the other 2 lanes and drive into Tesco. This is a terribly designed junction to be fair but when drivers can't stay in lane it is much much worse.

There is also a problem in Blueschool Street when turning right into Widemarsh Street.
There is no reason why the box junction extends into the right hand lane turning for Widemarsh Street as you are not hindering any other
vehicles.
This causes a back up of traffic in Blue School Street especially in rush hr traffic because only three vehicles can squeeze in between the 

lights and the box junction.

There is also a problem in Blueschool Street when turning right into Widemarsh Street.

There is no reason why the box junction extends into the right hand lane turning for Widemarsh Street as you are not hindering any other

vehicles.

This causes a back up of traffic in Blue School Street especially in rush hr traffic because only three vehicles can squeeze in between the 

lights and the box junction.

I do not disagree my friend, but that is for another discussion. 

I think these signs were put up after this topic started and quite clearly show they something is not quite right.
The first sign is as you are starting to go around the roundabout shows the last lane is for A49 south but when you are half way round another sign shows that lane is for A438 west. Not only that but A49 N A49S  becomes A49 S A49N

post-918-0-58674400-1500839511_thumb.jpg

post-918-0-10691300-1500839512_thumb.jpg