The Changing Face Of Hereford. The Subject We Fear To Discuss.

bobby47

Due to past political social engineering we've all been conditioned to not say anything for fear of being branded a bigot or racist. And now, in homes, pubs, streets, wherever local people gather the one subject that is sure to be muttered is the settlement of the people from East Europe.

For my part, I admire and like these people from Eastern Europe. They are well educated, hard working, they do the jobs we no longer want to do and to an employer, they are very reliable and will work for low wages. Personally speaking, if I'd been born under the fist of grinding poverty and the remaining affects of communism, I'd be doing the same thing. I'd be here in Hereford with my family trying for a better future. Who can blame them?

But of course, for all these positive things, there are consequences and one is there is a growing intolerance and anger toward the East European people and a view by local Herefordians that they are being taken for granted, our Country is being asset stripped and they cannot say anything because they will be branded a bigot. Local people complain that the East European people are taking all the jobs, much of the social housing and we are haemorrhaging vast sums of money every week when our guests send money home to prop up their home economy's.

Our Hereford community is becoming increasingly disconnected from local government and local people feel they have no voice and nowhere to turn to. Personally speaking, I have noticed that this anger is increasing and local people are desperate for change. They feel that their local public services are being swamped and understandably they worry that institutions like the NHS are not going to be there for their grandchildren.

Quite simply, I believe that if we go on not talking about the new reality to our changing society then we are going to meet disaster. Somehow or other we have to talk and be able to discuss this issue without any fear of being branded racists or bigots.

I want readers to offer their views on what we can do, how we can move forward and how we can communicate genuine concerns to local government and to the East European community without there being any hurt on either side of the issues that are sat in front of our community.

More than anything, I want to read constructive comments regarding our future community cohesion rather than mindless ranting and raving.

Well as my fiance is Polish I have a view of my own. As for east or in her case central euopean people taking our jobs... What a load of pish! The jobs were always there! Just that the majority of people in this country did not want them! My argument to this is, if every european person that has arrived into the UK in the past 5 years went back to their native country would the unemployed go from over 2.5 million to zero? No! Because people in this country have no incentive to work! STOP THEIR BENEFITS like they do in other european country's and then they have no choice other than to find work! I was in Istanbul earlier this year and they have no freebies handed out to them over there, yet most people seem to be happy going about their day to day lives.

I have always worked, never claimed dole, yet recently I went to the doctor as I was unwell, he gave me a prescription. I asked my gf if she would collect it from the Tesco Pharmacy for me and I gave her £15, she asked me 'what is the money for', so I explained it was to pay for my prescription, she then said 'but you work, how come you have to pay?' I said yes I have to pay, you only get it free if you don't work and are in receipt of benefits, she was shocked at this and said 'but you pay National Insurance so what is that for?' lol she then told me that we have it all the wrong way around as in Poland if you work your prescription would be free and you only pay if you don't work... funny that eh..

I note your comment Colin and I wouldn't disagree with anything you've said. The problem is that when, within a very short space of time several thousand people from different cultures arrive and settle in an area like Hereford it is inevitably going to place a huge strain on public services, housing, jobs and social cohesion and its the latter that causes me most concern.

No Colin. You are missing my point. This Posting is not about me, my views or whether or not Im a good European. This Posting is entirely about the rapidly growing upset that local people feel toward this vast movement of people from Eastern Europe to Hereford.

You can dismiss their concerns about jobs, housing, public services and all the other related issues but that ain't going to help in our future community cohesion, which was the point of my Posting. How can we bring local people and our East European visitors together to avoid the growing friction that now exists.

I can see where the friction comes from because I guess some are being offfered housing instead of locals etc..unfortunately we are in the EU so there is not a lot that we can do about that. What annoy's me is that other european countries do not seem to adopt the same policies and laws as we do here in the UK but are still members of the EU, for example, Poland refused a total ban on smoking in doors but opted to have seperate smoking and non smoking area's like we used to have here, yet I was recently in Spain and they have the same law about smoking in doors as the UK.

The problem is Colin, whichever society you look at and no matter what period of history you focus upon, when times are hard, minority groups tend to get the blame for everything.

Now, in the case of our home Hereford, times are bad and the County has been subjected to a huge arrival and settlement of people from East Europe who simply want a better life. This has happened through no fault of the East European community or the indigenous local Herefordians.

Everyone has to get on with this new reality, integrate and live in peace. There is no word from our political leaders on how to achieve this aim because nobody says a thing. We're just supposed to work it out for ourselves.

in the meantime, local people feel left out, ignored and have no means to communicate their worries or concerns. Our political leaders have given us this conundrum to solve and it's down to us, local and East European to think it out for ourselves and try and develop an understanding.

Rather than you and I sitting at our keyboards trying to work this impossible problem out, I'd like our Councillor members to tell us what they intend to do. Can they help?

My very warmest regards Colin.

Hello Bill, I'd certainly criticise the Council for not saying a single thing on this issue which is probably the one thing that is uppermost in the minds of everyone.

They don't have a problem coming up with some pointless gimmick that none of us care about but they don't say or do a thing to help all of us deal with this conundrum.

I'd like them to start thinking about the future community cohesion of our society. They should reach out and create conditions and circumstances where we all integrate and get to know and understand one another better.

People can become tied and bound together through Sport, Music, the Arts and simply sitting together having a pint or a coffee.

These are simple things that don't cost a thing but do this bloody Council say or do anything? Not a peep or sound!