Petition 'Turn Off Lights At Asda Junction Hereford'

Noticed today that there is a vehicle counter across the road by the Belmont Road bridge. Also where the Oval service road joins Goodrich Grove there is a new CCTV camera positioned next to the lampost looking over the Belmont Road junction and pointing across to McDonalds. Wasn't there last week was it?

I noticed this yesterday. It look like Colin has stirred them up a bit and about time too

On 06/12/2012 at 12:31, bobby47 said:

Colin, Go onto the Hereford Times site and find the 'Letter's' page.

Bobby, yes I did read it earlier in this weeks Hereford Times, nice to know we have support from Bulmers :)

Gillian Bulmer of Little Breinton, Hereford, says yes, let's turn off some traffic lights

8:00am Thursday 6th December 2012 in Letters

I HAVE been following the communications regarding turning off the traffic lights with interest.

Our family and ancestors have watched the decline of the city with utter sadness.

When the lights break down the traffic flows far more freely around the ring road.

Turning them off for several weeks or months would show every body how necessary or not they really are. People do this in other countries, why can't we?

People may return again, though for what? The shops have mostly gone.

GILLIAN BULMER, Little Breinton, Hereford.

You can read Gillian Bulmer's letter Here

Noticed today that there is a vehicle counter across the road by the Belmont Road bridge. Also where the Oval service road joins Goodrich Grove there is a new CCTV camera positioned next to the lampost looking over the Belmont Road junction and pointing across to McDonalds. Wasn't there last week was it?

The camera and post has been removed today.

I have also replied to Mr Brian Phillips Letter in this week's Hereford Journal

I refer to a letter from Brian Phillips of Glenmore Park, Ross Road Hereford published in this weeks Hereford Journal (12/12/12)

Titled "Lights Assist Pedestrians" 

I accept that a set of pedestrian lights across this busy junction is essential as safe passage for people, however, we currently have 16 sets of TRAFFIC LIGHTS!

(Please note the word Traffic Lights and NOT Pedestrian Lights) Which is the main reason for my 'turning off the traffic lights campaign' in trying to reduce the daily misery of long delays suffered by drivers. Maybe Mr Phillips is unaware that we also have another set of pedestrian lights less than 70 metres away (Belmont Road side) opposite the junction into Belmont Avenue, how many do we really need?

I think he is missing the point here, of course keep the pedestrian lights, I have never suggested turning off the pedestrian lights,

(Pedestrian lights are controlled by pressing a button) I am merely suggesting that WE TURN THE MAIN TRAFFIC LIGHTS OFF!

If you would like to join our campaign and sign our petition please visit us at www.southwyevoice.co.uk or www.belmontvoice.co.uk

I have also replied to Mr Brian Phillips Letter in this week's Hereford Journal

I refer to a letter from Brian Phillips of Glenmore Park, Ross Road Hereford published in this weeks Hereford Journal (12/12/12)

Titled "Lights Assist Pedestrians"

I accept that a set of pedestrian lights across this busy junction is essential as safe passage for people, however, we currently have 16 sets of TRAFFIC LIGHTS!

(Please note the word Traffic Lights and NOT Pedestrian Lights) Which is the main reason for my 'turning off the traffic lights campaign' in trying to reduce the daily misery of long delays suffered by drivers. Maybe Mr Phillips is unaware that we also have another set of pedestrian lights less than 70 metres away (Belmont Road side) opposite the junction into Belmont Avenue, how many do we really need?

I think he is missing the point here, of course keep the pedestrian lights, I have never suggested turning off the pedestrian lights,

(Pedestrian lights are controlled by pressing a button) I am merely suggesting that WE TURN THE MAIN TRAFFIC LIGHTS OFF!

If you would like to join our campaign and sign our petition please visit us at www.southwyevoice.co.uk or www.belmontvoice.co.uk

My letter of reply is in this week's Hereford Journal.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Colin and a Happy New Year.

Being thinking about your petition and would like to know that if there was a paper petition running parallel with the council's on-line petition would these signatures be added on to it, or do the council go on the numbers recorded only on their website. I say this because I notice that 1001 people in Ross on Wye have signed on-line for the Pool relocation. The petition ran from 22/10/2012 to 05/12/2012 less than 2 months. Did their local councillors get behind them?

I think we need to organise a petition in High Town to get our numbers up. Also we should target the major employers and get them to sign up. Any thoughts?

Hello Colin and a Happy New Year.

Being thinking about your petition and would like to know that if there was a paper petition running parallel with the council's on-line petition would these signatures be added on to it, or do the council go on the numbers recorded only on their website. I say this because I notice that 1001 people in Ross on Wye have signed on-line for the Pool relocation. The petition ran from 22/10/2012 to 05/12/2012 less than 2 months. Did their local councillors get behind them?

I think we need to organise a petition in High Town to get our numbers up. Also we should target the major employers and get them to sign up. Any thoughts?

I have been thinking of a few idea's especially about a paper petition, think they run separately, however, I think we can still join the numbers. Would just need some help knocking on doors. I did think about walking through the cars on the Belmont Road between 7.45-9.30am a few mornings... Not sure what to do but need to get more people signing, I have advertised this on my Facebook, the more people that we can get pushing this the better my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I have been thinking of a few idea's especially about a paper petition, think they run separately, however, I think we can still join the numbers.

The council will accept paper petitions as well as the e-petition. It is useful to note the qualifying people who can sign these.

E-Petitions Guidance

An ePetition can be submitted by a person of any age who lives, works or studies in Herefordshire or has used services provided by Herefordshire Council.

To submit an ePetition you will need to be a registered user. Registration is a simple process that just requires you to provide us with a few details in case we need to contact you about the ePetition.

Can I still submit a paper petition?

Yes, you can still submit paper petitions. A petition may also gather names and addresses in both forms - you can have a paper version and an online version, although repeat names will be removed. Both forms should run for the same period of time and must be submitted together. When submitting an ePetition request, please let us know if you are running a paper petition as well and this can be highlighted on the website.

Printable petition template here:

Colin, traffic in Belmont Road will have an amount of outside drivers just passing through the city. These people do not qualify to sign the petitions - even though they would benefit if the lights are turned off. The majority of traffic is local based, so we need to concentrate on the locals and this is where the paper petitions would score.

There are only two months left so we need to get together and boost the numbers. Would any of the local shops take the petition, can we not target the school runs, the kids nurseries, large workplaces, the pubs and town centre. Do you think we could get together and do this Colin. Any other volunteers?

On 01/02/2013 at 11:09, megilleland said:

The council will accept paper petitions as well as the e-petition. It is useful to note the qualifying people who can sign these.

E-Petitions Guidance

An ePetition can be submitted by a person of any age who lives, works or studies in Herefordshire or has used services provided by Herefordshire Council.

To submit an ePetition you will need to be a registered user. Registration is a simple process that just requires you to provide us with a few details in case we need to contact you about the ePetition.

Can I still submit a paper petition?

Yes, you can still submit paper petitions. A petition may also gather names and addresses in both forms - you can have a paper version and an online version, although repeat names will be removed. Both forms should run for the same period of time and must be submitted together. When submitting an ePetition request, please let us know if you are running a paper petition as well and this can be highlighted on the website.

Printable petition template here:

Colin, traffic in Belmont Road will have an amount of outside drivers just passing through the city. These people do not qualify to sign the petitions - even though they would benefit if the lights are turned off. The majority of traffic is local based, so we need to concentrate on the locals and this is where the paper petitions would score.

There are only two months left so we need to get together and boost the numbers. Would any of the local shops take the petition, can we not target the school runs, the kids nurseries, large workplaces, the pubs and town centre. Do you think we could get together and do this Colin. Any other volunteers?

Yes I would be happy for any help with any of the above, I have been a little inactive recently due to a slipt disc, so struggling a bit but still driving around and working, hence why I have not managed to replace the signs on the Belmont Road yet. But any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Cologne chap?

I have my reservations to be honest because we simply don't drive like the Germans.

That said I would rather have the lights off than see an increasing amount of idiots running red lights which in town is becoming very popular and again due in part to the lack of Police resources and bobby boots on the ground.

At least when the lights are off everyone is paying a little more attention!

• 4 weeks later...

Report from Paul Broome HT today.

Traffic lights at one of hereford's most notorious traffic bottlenecks will not be removed, a council infrastructure boss has said.

Cllr Philip Price, Herefordshire council's cabinet member for infrastructure, revealed to colleagues that Highways England - formally the Highways Agency - have look into the possibility of removing lights on the Belmont island near the Asda superstore. However, the body found that such a measure " would not resolve the traffic problems" .

Cllr price was responding to a question put to him ahead of a meeting of full council by a member of the public, John Harrington,who asked why the council had not taken Highways England up on a free assessment of whether light on the island could be removed.

In a written response, Cllr price said:  " The council has not turned down any offer of such work made by Highways England. "Indeed, we have worked closely with Highways England to develop a robust transport strategy for Hereford.

"While the studies that Highways england choose to carry out is a matter for that organisation to determine. i am aware that they have assessed the impact of removing the traffic lights at the Asda/belmont junction and concluded that such a change would not resolve the problems".

Traffic lights at one of hereford's most notorious traffic bottlenecks will not be removed, a council infrastructure boss has said.
Cllr Philip Price, Herefordshire council's cabinet member for infrastructure, revealed to colleagues that Highways England - formally the Highways Agency - have look into the possibility of removing lights on the Belmont island near the Asda superstore. However, the body found that such a measure " would not resolve the traffic problems" .
Cllr price was responding to a question put to him ahead of a meeting of full council by a member of the public, John Harrington,who asked why the council had not taken Highways England up on a free assessment of whether light on the island could be removed.
In a written response, Cllr price said:  " The council has not turned down any offer of such work made by Highways England. "Indeed, we have worked closely with Highways England to develop a robust transport strategy for Hereford.
"While the studies that Highways england choose to carry out is a matter for that organisation to determine. i am aware that they have assessed the impact of removing the traffic lights at the Asda/belmont junction and concluded that such a change would not resolve the problems".

I have just been reading this this was my reply in the HT:

Hereford Voice have been running this campaign for many years and we do not intend to give up now just because Cllr Price has added his few comments, which are brilliant considering the man does not even live in Hereford!

Surely the people of Hereford, who drive this route daily know what works and what doesn't? We were offered a free study and should Cllr Price not at least look at this? There is nothing to loose and possibly everything to gain... It is common knowledge that the traffic flows much better when these lights are off, we have have video's which highlight this. All Cllr Price has done is brought this problem back to the foreground and his suggestion that removing these lights would not solve the problem is flawed without any supporting evidence.

We have been mugged off again by people and Councillors who don't live in Hereford.What is wrong with these people?

Other traffic lights that need turning off Newmarket roundabout,Blackfriar St which cause utter chaos in Edgar St and Ledbury Road.

which is all part of of aim and the best part is that WE ARE ONLY ASKING FOR A TRAIL!

• 2 months later...