Shanty town

megilleland

Taken from "Have your Say" Hereford Times this week:

I WISH to draw your attention to the potentially dangerous situation at the junction of Goodrich Avenue and Waterfield Road.

For no obvious reason a number of container-type cabins, presumably used for storage, are parked on the greensward adjacent to the fairly new police sub-station opposite the entry/exit of the service road for Millard Close.

For the activities involved in using these cabins – which, in themselves, obscure or distract attention from other traffic approaching that junction – vehicles service the cabins and are parked on one or both sides of Goodrich Avenue and Waterfield Road, with workers moving to and fro.

That no incident has already occurred is, I think, entirely fortuitous.

It has occurred to me that the siting of these cabins might and certainly ought to have incurred an application for at least temporary planning consent as I doubt whether it would have been granted in view of the hazardous situation they cannot avoid causing.

DAVID J JORDAN, Millard Close, Hereford

post-109-0-11083900-1355483757.jpg

I think he has got a valid point. This area of safeguarded open space has been turned into a large builders compound. Herefordshire Housing sure know how to ruin a decent green area for local people. No doubt they have plans for other open spaces bearing in mind the present governments approach to relaxations of development rules. It is a pity that they can't keep their estates tidy - the whole area is sinking fast. The area once had a youth club and church - useful community assets.

I totally agree with all comments expressed here. I have written to the press (hopefully it will be printed) in reply to Mr Jordan. There has been some near misses in this area due to the speed of traffic and not being able to see round the corner.The yellow / cream cabins belong to a firm of exterior painters who are painting houses in Redhill, many thousands of tenants money being wasted if they do the same as they did in Newton Farm to render over it within 6 months. The other cabins are for the matterials to render the cornish houses/flats in newton Farm, both firms are renting the ground from Herefordshire Council until Dec 2012.

• 2 weeks later...

Notice that the storage has now extended the whole length of the grassed area along Waterfield Road. There is going to be a big mess here when they leave in December. Not really the right time to sow grass so we will end up with another muddy blighted part of the estate. Should complement the abandoned church at the other end.

Notice that the storage has now extended the whole length of the grassed area along Waterfield Road. There is going to be a big mess here when they leave in December. Not really the right time to sow grass so we will end up with another muddy blighted part of the estate. Should complement the abandoned church at the other end.

I was driving pst last night omg how many containers? this looks terrible, it lloks like a load of gypsy's have moved in

The site belongs to Herefordshire Council, and I have informed them what is happening, I am keeping a watchful eye on the site.

I have ask for better management of the site and the things I have requested no cars / vans to be parked on the road, they are now parking in the churches car park area. Some of the porta cabins are disappearing this coming week,Herefordshire council is waiting for my conformation that the cabins have gone they will then come and inspect the site and any damage to the grass etc Herefordshire Housing has got to make the area good as they are hiring the land off the council. As the local councillor living in Newton Farm I am in constant contact with the site manager and asking him to improve the area.

• 1 month later...

Further to my post above, I have found it necessary to advise Herefordshire Housing and the site manager not only about this site, but also their workforce. I have received a further complaint on Thursday whilst on an inspection walkabout of workmen going onto private property. It is my understanding although not confirm as yet by Herefordshire Housing that the cabins will be on Vortex site until February 2013. Where by HH will have put in a planning application to build housing on the site as they hope the council will transfer the land to them.