Cannot Purchase Hot Food In Hereford City After 1.30am

Colin James

I was out with my good lady last night late for the first time in a long time, never responded to this post before now but I think this is ridiculous, you can go and buy a sandwich or pasty from the 24 garage but no hot food from the Indian? I was very hungry after all the dancing too  :Sad:

• 3 weeks later...

Surely this all comes down to the inability of the police and the licensing department to effectively manage the city centre. Instead of being all grown up about things they throw a blanket ban which is obstructive to all. No where else in the country have I experienced this ludicrous situation.

I am in support of any campaign that aims to bring change to this. Although I don't go out on the steam much after 01:30hrs, I sometimes work late and grabbing a kebab or fish and chips on the way home after I finish shouldn't be impossible.

Things like this keep Hereford firmly in the dark ages...

Blanket bans are their get out of jail free cards. You'll notice that they do it with most things. 
Most recently the deaths in lakes.

For what it's worth, there's a kebab van on one of the Worcester->M5 roundabouts that stays open until the early hours. A bit of a trek mind!

For what it's worth, there's a kebab van on one of the Worcester->M5 roundabouts that stays open until the early hours. A bit of a trek mind!

Gah! Why did you have to tell me that?! I'd travel miles for a kebab! Never have the words 'kebab' and 'van' married together so perfectly!

• 2 weeks later...

Gah! Why did you have to tell me that?! I'd travel miles for a kebab! Never have the words 'kebab' and 'van' married together so perfectly!

We had one here in Hereford, in fact it was Mr Rone himself, If my memory serves me well at his old pub The Treacle Mine, they used to have a late night burger van there but again, guess what, Hereford Council put a stop to that too!

Bit of a repost, but what happened that all new fancy chicken place on Commerical Road? The one near Yates?

I drove past the other night and the place looked abandoned and derelict

It's just opened in the last few days, we went in there on Saturday eve, very good to be fair.

It's just opened in the last few days, we went in there on Saturday eve, very good to be fair. 

Someone else said they went in there over the weekend, but when I went past on Thursday night the place looked like it had been gutted. I'll have to have another look, make sure I have the right place :P

• 1 month later...

How about a late night BBQ in High Town?,  or perhaps a secret venue known only to the hungry,

I'm sure we could find a BBQ on wheels, we could be in, feed the locals and be out before the police finish their tea break and the council get out of bed,

seriously I have some more balaclavas and with a bit of thought ( any one know any  ex SAS or Para's ) Colin could make a bit of cash to keep the site going.

4am - I just called them, so there must be special rules in place for bank holidays and New Year's eve, happy days!  :Happy_32: Should be like that EVERY WEEKEND!

I think it's a general exemption under the Licensing Act for that date/event ~ so beyond the reach of The miserable Council....  :Happy_32:

I managed to get a curry at 2.40am! Get in!   :Happy_32:  :Happy_32:  :Happy_32:

Now that's what I should be able to do EVERY WEEKEND! Common Councillors PLEASE put some pressure on to get this stupid licensing changed, especially now that we have the more relaxed licensing laws in recent years, it would also go some way to encouraging young people to stay in Hereford. 

I am likely to get my head shot off with many of you by what I am going to say. I am a member of the Regulatory committee who deals with licencing among other things, the restriction was asked for by the police, as a member of that committee I had the opportunity last year of going out with the police on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday in Hereford, other members went to Leominster, Ledbury, Bromyard and Ross, it was quite an eye opener where some people caused distruption and trouble being so drunk when they came out of clubs and pubs etc. We do not change the rules on a whim but with concrete evidence where people do not know when to stop drinking and all the problems they present, and yes before you say it, a few spoils it for the many, after witnessing the problems for myself I can understand why the police want every one off the streets and on their way home as quickly as possible.

I am likely to get my head shot off with many of you by what I am going to say. I am a member of the Regulatory committee who deals with licencing among other things, the restriction was asked for by the police, as a member of that committee I had the opportunity last year of going out with the police on a Friday/Saturday/Sunday in Hereford, other members went to Leominster, Ledbury, Bromyard and Ross, it was quite an eye opener where some people caused distruption and trouble being so drunk when they came out of clubs and pubs etc. We do not change the rules on a whim but with concrete evidence where people do not know when to stop drinking and all the problems they present, and yes before you say it, a few spoils it for the many, after witnessing the problems for myself I can understand why the police want every one off the streets and on their way home as quickly as possible.

Sorry but this is hardly a reason to force hot food establishments to close at 1.30am! What's the difference between having security in a club or on the door of a take away? But it's okay to go to the Lunchbox though in Commercial Road at 2am because they serve rolls and sandwiches!! Or to the garage for a Ginsters pasty, hence why people go to other cities and another reason why Hereford is suffering! I have worked on the doors in Commercial Road for over 15 years and I have seen it all, yes maybe when all the clubs used to close at the same time 1am more people would gather but since licensing laws were relaxed several years back this is no longer the case! 

I will reiterate my previous post:

What's the difference between being able to buy sandwiches, crisps and snacks or traditional fish and chips? NOTHING! We were all young once and I remember a good night out was a skin full of beer, off to a disco and a curry on the way home. I cannot believe that you cannot buy any hot food in Hereford City after 1.20am on a Saturday night, we are all treated like kids!

This is more about the police trying to save money and using this bullshit as an excuse well I will be voting for the IOC in future because they seem to want to get crap like this sorted and bring Hereford into the 21st century, Christ we were all young once, it must be such a boring miserable place to go out at the weekend it really must be.  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:  :Thumbs-Down:

So you can buy cold food but not hot? So how does that stop any potential trouble from clubbers? What a load of rubbish! never heard so much rubbish, this is about the police trying to save money by not deploying additional weekend officers and nothing more! It makes no difference whether people can buy hot or cold food how ridiculous is that?

You will like this comment Colin!

6.3 Ideas and suggestions about doing things differently 

Most frequent suggestions are about reducing operational costs, e.g. staff, councillors, ICT, managing money better. 

Other suggestions include: 

• Charge take-away shops an extra fee because of litter 

• Spend on the basics 

• Charge for more services 

• Need to encourage more businesses – suggestion of mentoring scheme for new firms 

• Charges should be based on number of people living in household 

• Volunteers could find tax evaders 

Even though the shops can't stay open to earn the money to pay the fee! No - fine the public who drop it and get the police to enforce it. Oh I forgot this is about the police trying to save money by not deploying additional weekend officers and nothing more!

You will like this comment Colin!

6.3 Ideas and suggestions about doing things differently 

Most frequent suggestions are about reducing operational costs, e.g. staff, councillors, ICT, managing money better. 

Other suggestions include: 
• Charge take-away shops an extra fee because of litter 
• Spend on the basics 
• Charge for more services 
• Need to encourage more businesses – suggestion of mentoring scheme for new firms 
• Charges should be based on number of people living in household 
• Volunteers could find tax evaders 

Even though the shops can't stay open to earn the money to pay the fee! No - fine the public who drop it and get the police to enforce it. Oh I forgot this is about the police trying to save money by not deploying additional weekend officers and nothing more!

What twats! I have no words other than to echo what you have said, I mean what idiot came up with that suggestion? I want to meet that person, I really do. I think while they are at it they should make Cargill pay a fee for providing the chicken that some young person has thrown up and Coca Cola for providing the fizzy drink that caused it, total idiots.

I think that a point has been missed, is it not an offence to serve alcohol to a person who is intoxicate? it is up to the police and council to ensure that the law is applied inside each and every licenced premises, and that the individual licensee complies. The current situation seems to be to close the city down after 01:30 hrs to stop people enjoying themselves, how long before we see a reduction in licencing hours, it is being spoken of believe me.

I remember that McDonalds staff would go out and clear up the rubbish around the immediate area I do not know if that was voluntary or part of their licence to operate but what a good idea.

I note the comment from CVP, a member of the Regulatory Committee who apparently can not eat curry, dose not drink alcohol and is unable to attend meetings in a pub, is that not an example of small minded person with a very large opinion of herself worth, with power over others, no doubt she will stand up and say, look what a good job I've done, she claims to represent her ward so I would love to see the results of the survey done by herself and any other councillor to support this stance . I agree with the comment made by someone that I read about the pubs and restaurants saving this city, I think that we should add the clubs and late night food providers to the list.

I have spoken to many people from the Newton Farm area and quite a few made the comment, Bring back John Newman, I agree but John has done and is still doing his bit and long may he continue to do so.

So your not supporting getting this silly rule changed now then? What utter rubbish Cllr! You can still stop in at the Lunchbox, Tesco's or any number of garages on your way home, so what's the difference to being able to buy hot food from a take-away or even allowing deliveries to still continue? I feel really quite strong about this to be honest, so can you clarify where you are with this rule please CVP? Are you in favour of leaving it as it is or are you in support of relaxing this rule now that licensing laws are much more relaxed nowadays and the original problem of lots of people all conversing outside the local chipper have now long gone because people leave clubs and bars at various times throughout the night?

Hinton Hitman, I totally agree with your first sentence about ensuring the law is applied in every licenced premises and the licencee is responsible for what goes on in their clubs and pubs. In regard to McDonalds clearing up outside their premises they volunteered to do that.

In regard to your coments about myself:-

1. I do not eat curry because I am alergic to spices.

2. I do drink alcohol.

3. I do attend meetings in pubs.

If you knew me which you obviously do not.

1. I am not small minded.

2. I do not have an over inflated opinion of myself.

I would take more notice of what you say if you were courageous enough to come on here under your own name, instead of hiding behind an avatar!

Alex, the rules of the regulatory committee is changing in regard to licencing, and for the record I was one of the councillors who allowed the public house in Eign road to re-open after the stabbing!