Putting the record straight, ALL PLEASE READ.

Colin James

To put the record straight.

When the original Belmont Voice Website back in 2007, I bumped into Cllr Powell and told her my intentions for a more up to date forum website which we now have. She said to me that she was thinking of setting up her own website, where as local people within the ward could contact her and visa-versa, so I suggested that she could use this site as her own base (so to speak) although, now, maybe I wish I had made it more clear to her as she honestly believed that the site was hers and advertised the fact.

Recently, what with a few people suggesting the the site is biased towards Cllr Powell, I have exchanged several emails with Cllr Powell reminding her that the site was actually mine (all paid for and I set it up) and now this could be the reason behind some of the other councillors perhaps not joining as one member has suggested.

This is probably my fault in all fairness to Cllr Powell as I should of made it more clear in the beginning that BV could be used by her to be in contact with her constituents, along with any other Councillor, so there has clearly been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line, but no monies have been paid by her, so I am a little confused to how this was misunderstood.

Belmont Voice the site and domain name are solely owned by myself, nobody else is involved in any way shape of form, hence my post earlier. The site, the graphics, and logo etc were all created by myself and are my copyright.

I sincerely apologise to Cllr Powell for any embarrassment that may have been caused to her, although I did think I had made it clear in the beginning, that said, this site is here for ALL residents and Councillors to use as a vehicle in which to communicate with each other and have serious debates.

Belmont Voice (BV) is an independent website community for discussions and issues related to the Belmont Area/Ward.

We do not represent anyone or any organisation.

Publish your thoughts and opinions on news, issues, planning and developments within the Belmont ward.

(in the main this will relate to the BRPC but may also relate to HCC)

As residents of the Belmont Ward (Belmont - Hunderton - Newton Farm) you are invited to take part in local discussions about the environment, surrounding area's and where we live.

If you do not live within the ward, you are still invited to register in join in our discussions, if you live in Hereford there may be issues that you would like to highlight or raise.

You have direct access to other residents and your Councillors via this website.

We will endeavor to publish all the latest news and issues as soon and and often as we can.

This site can be used as your communication with each other without having to leave your home!

Remember!! If you start or reply to any topic or post YOU are responsible for your content.

Please join in and feel free to start a new topic or discussion.

Above all please be polite to others and observe the guidelines and rules of this site.

I now hope that this clarifies everything and we can now continue to get back to posting.

On 30/10/2010 at 11:23, Colin James said:

When the original Belmont Voice Website back in 2007, I bumped into Cllr Powell and told her my intentions for a more up to date forum website which we now have. She said to me that she was thinking of setting up her own website, where as local people within the ward could contact her and visa-versa, so I suggested that she could use this site as her own base (so to speak) although, now, maybe I wish I had made it more clear to her as she honestly believed that the site was hers and advertised the fact.

Recently, what with a few people suggesting the the site is biased towards Cllr Powell, I have exchanged several emails with Cllr Powell reminding her that the site was actually mine (all paid for and I set it up) and now this could be the reason behind some of the other councillors perhaps not joining as one member has suggested.

This is probably my fault in all fairness to Cllr Powell as I should of made it more clear in the beginning that BV could be used by her to be in contact with her constituents, along with any other Councillor, so there has clearly been a misunderstanding somewhere along the line, but no monies have been paid by her, so I am a little confused to how this was misunderstood.

Belmont Voice the site and domain name are solely owned by myself, nobody else is involved in any way shape of form, hence my post earlier. The site, the graphics, and logo etc were all created by myself and are my copyright.

I sincerely apologise to Cllr Powell for any embarrassment that may have been caused to her, although I did think I had made it clear in the beginning, that said, this site is here for ALL residents and Councillors to use as a vehicle in which to communicate with each other and have serious debates.

Belmont Voice (BV) is an independent website community for discussions and issues related to the Belmont Area/Ward.

Publish your thoughts and opinions on news, issues, planning and developments within the Belmont ward.

As residents of the Belmont Ward (Belmont - Hunderton - Newton Farm) you are invited to take part in local discussions about the environment, surrounding area's and where we live.

If you do not live within the ward, you are still invited to register in join in our discussions, if you live in Hereford there may be issues that you would like to highlight or raise.

You have direct access to other residents and your Councillors via this website.

We will endeavor to publish all the latest news and issues as soon and and often as we can.

This site can be used as your communication with each other without having to leave your home!

Remember!! If you start or reply to any topic or post YOU are responsible for your content.

Above all please be polite to others and observe the guidelines and rules of this site.

I now hope that this clarifies everything and we can now continue to get back to posting.

Colin,

I now believe you that this site is yours, and I withdraw my allegation of saying you were a liar, and its Glenda's website.

The site is a good, a little complicated, but it has been taken over by Glenda Powell, she allowed Cllr Schoffer and Cllr Edwards to be slagged especially as Mavis Edwards was dieing. Most of the entries are by Glenda Powell, and you could say she has taken over with her friends.

We do need a community website but one without Glenda, so that other Councillors and residents could participate without fear of being slandered and slagged. I feel although it is your website, she has taken it over as her own, and while she is on this site I doubt if you would get any councillors or decent residents to participate.

Also most people know she closed down Belmont Rural email, which was a great loss to the community, and this site could have taken over if it was not for Glenda Powell.

She forced a parish council election with the help of this site, only to discover that she was not wanted. I ask, has she attended Belmont Parish meetings and if so how many? I doubt if any, or possibly one, the good people are saying she has lost the plot.

You have my commiserations.

The site is a good, a little complicated, but it has been taken over by Glenda Powell, she allowed Cllr Schoffer and Cllr Edwards to be slagged especially as Mavis Edwards was dieing. Most of the entries are by Glenda Powell, and you could say she has taken over with her friends.

With respect, Cllr Powell did not allow other councillors to be slagged off they have allowed it to happen as they have not registered in order to put across their point, with regard to Mr Edwards wife passing away, a legit question was raised and as soon as it was aware that Mrs Edwards was seriously ill, that whole topic was removed by the admin.

It is clear now who runs the site and may it long continue to grow as Roger Edwards has said this is a good site, so lets hope we can continue with all the councillors and not just the select few, we and they all have points to raise but if all contribute then there will be clear and accurate statements.

With respect, Cllr Powell did not allow other councillors to be slagged off they have allowed it to happen as they have not registered in order to put across their point, with regard to Mr Edwards wife passing away, a legit question was raised and as soon as it was aware that Mrs Edwards was seriously ill, that whole topic was removed by the admin.

It is clear now who runs the site and may it long continue to grow as Roger Edwards has said this is a good site, so lets hope we can continue with all the councillors and not just the select few, we and they all have points to raise but if all contribute then there will be clear and accurate statements.

Yes i think I would agree with the above comments.

This is a very useful site and i hope now others will join us in making our community a better one. :Thumbs-Up: :Thumbs-Up: :Thumbs-Up:

Colin - Having just read three replies to your post 'putting the record straight' I wish to respond to the accusations made about me by Roger Edwards.

1. I am accused of in his words 'slagging off' Mavis Edwards, if you look back I refused to comment to the allegations made about Mavis. I also asked you to take the posts off BV as Mavis was very ill with no hope of recovery.

2. In regards to Cllr Phil Edwards I only said what he himself told me, when I ask him to join BV and that was 'he would he consider coming onto the site when it was more established'. You reiterated that he said that yourself on this site in the last twenty four hours .

3. I have never 'slagged off' Parish Cllr Schoffer on BV, the only time I went back at him was in a confidential email sent to all parish councillors and myself, with almost daily updates of Mavis condition. It was Mark Schoffer who was 'slagging Phil Edwards off' in one of these emails I 'replied to all' and asked where was his compassion at this time (I had just heard Mavis had died)

4. In regard to the BR website I DID NOT close it down, it is not in my power to do that. I advised the web admin that:-

a. A fifteen year old girl was to young to be on the website.

b.That I had infact been advised that it was someone else who had written it.

c. I ask that he removed the emails as the content was libellous, as I work closely with the legal dept on a committee at council and they advised me that was the case. As the BR web admin was unsure who had written the email from 15 year old, and I advised him who the other people were although they used an alias they had infact email me for help as it was their private email address. Because of this the BR admin chose to close the email facility down to protect his website.

The local parish election:-

I did not, or could not force a parish council election! many people asked me what to do to ask for an election as they did not want anyone co-opted onto the PC. I advised that if anyone called for an election there would be a cost involved, if they decided to co-opt no charge would be forthcoming. I was not advised until three days before the closing date that an election had been requested, and that there were two other candidates had come forward. I WAS ASKED BY MANY RESIDENTS TO STAND FOR THE ELECTION so I did.

I would not be allowed to use BV as an election tool, there are strict rules about an election that all candidates have to abide by.

I politely ask that Roger Edwards to get his facts right before commenting on my conduct.

On 31/10/2010 at 14:57, Glenda Powell said:

Colin - Having just read three replies to your post 'putting the record straight' I wish to respond to the accusations made about me by Roger Edwards.

1. I am accused of in his words 'slagging off' Mavis Edwards, if you look back I refused to comment to the allegations made about Mavis. I also asked you to take the posts off BV as Mavis was very ill with no hope of recovery.

2. In regards to Cllr Phil Edwards I only said what he himself told me, when I ask him to join BV and that was 'he would he consider coming onto the site when it was more established'. You reiterated that he said that yourself on this site in the last twenty four hours .

3. I have never 'slagged off' Parish Cllr Schoffer on BV, the only time I went back at him was in a confidential email sent to all parish councillors and myself, with almost daily updates of Mavis condition. It was Mark Schoffer who was 'slagging Phil Edwards off' in one of these emails I 'replied to all' and asked where was his compassion at this time (I had just heard Mavis had died)

4. In regard to the BR website I DID NOT close it down, it is not in my power to do that. I advised the web admin that:-

a. A fifteen year old girl was to young to be on the website.

b.That I had infact been advised that it was someone else who had written it.

c. I ask that he removed the emails as the content was libellous, as I work closely with the legal dept on a committee at council and they advised me that was the case. As the BR web admin was unsure who had written the email from 15 year old, and I advised him who the other people were although they used an alias they had infact email me for help as it was their private email address. Because of this the BR admin chose to close the email facility down to protect his website.

The local parish election:-

I did not, or could not force a parish council election! many people asked me what to do to ask for an election as they did not want anyone co-opted onto the PC. I advised that if anyone called for an election there would be a cost involved, if they decided to co-opt no charge would be forthcoming. I was not advised until three days before the closing date that an election had been requested, and that there were two other candidates had come forward. I WAS ASKED BY MANY RESIDENTS TO STAND FOR THE ELECTION so I did.

I would not be allowed to use BV as an election tool, there are strict rules about an election that all candidates have to abide by.

I politely ask that Roger Edwards to get his facts right before commenting on my conduct.

Cllr Powell.

With regards to 4 & 5, did you or did you not threaten the editor of Belmont Rural with legal action, that action of yours closed down the site, this is a very well know, so do not tell porkies.

With regards to 1, 2 & 3, you are living in cuckoo land, to my knowledge Cllr Edwards & Schoffer do not belong to this website, and you were in a position to put the facts right. But no, you sat on your laurels and wanted to destroy those two Councillors, so you did not put the facts right,

As I said previously you have taken over this site and made it your own, and this can be seen by the number of entries you have made, you are very biased and anti other fellow councillors in fact you are for yourself and very selfish.

On 01/11/2010 at 10:32, Roger Edwards said:

Cllr Powell.

With regards to 4 & 5, did you or did you not threaten the editor of Belmont Rural with legal action, that action of yours closed down the site, this is a very well know, so do not tell porkies.

I assume this is a question?

To be fair, nobody can be responsible for closing down a forum or website other than the administrator or host in this case only 'Roderick Robinson' from the BR website is responsible for his own actions.

If you read the rules of most forums including this one you will see that the author of any post is responsible for it's content.

(You acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not those of any staff member or administrator of Belmont Voice and hence cannot be held liable.

By proceeding to post you agree to these rules and must obey them at all times)

By refusing to remove the said email would not in my opinion, rendered the admin libel.

My personal opinion is that he possibly did not have the time to continue with the site and took the easy way out! thus also gaining a certain amount of sympathy, especially in the manner in which he did.

I think it is unfair to try to lay the blame at Cllr Powell's door in this instance.

The difference between Belmont Voice and the BR website in mainly in the way we allow comments to be made, in the case of the BR website this was done by emailing the admin your views and personal opinion, then he would edit that view of yours to suit himself, then publish his edited version, which I know happened on many cases.

Here at Belmont Voice the forums are LIVE! there is very little editing, if any at all and any comment/post/opinion is published exactly how the author intended it to be.

So I am sorry but I cannot see how Cllr Powell can be solely blamed for the closure of the BR website in this instance.

I am also in agreement with Colin's view, the admin of the BR site used this as an excuse for his ticket out! I would not of taken any legal action seriously as the costs involved in libel cases is extortionate and the funds would clearly have not been available, besides that there was not case of libel on his part. :Thumbs-Down:

I am also in agreement with Colin's view, the admin of the BR site used this as an excuse for his ticket out! I would not of taken any legal action seriously as the costs involved in libel cases is extortionate and the funds would clearly have not been available, besides that there was not case of libel on his part. :Thumbs-Down:

I asked why the BR website was closed down and the editer sent this reply :- As I explained, I was threatened with defamation proceedings. From professional experience I know that these are both expensive and time-consuming even if you win.This is why it closed down and it is a pity it did close it was a good website and alot of the other councillors went on it .

This website is good and hopefully one day the other councillors will join it. :Smile_32:

I assume this is a question?

To be fair, nobody can be responsible for closing down a forum or website other than the administrator or host in this case only 'Roderick Robinson' from the BR website is responsible for his own actions.

If you read the rules of most forums including this one you will see that the author of any post is responsible for it's content.

(You acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not those of any staff member or administrator of Belmont Voice and hence cannot be held liable.

By proceeding to post you agree to these rules and must obey them at all times)

By refusing to remove the said email would not in my opinion, rendered the admin libel.

My personal opinion is that he possibly did not have the time to continue with the site and took the easy way out! thus also gaining a certain amount of sympathy, especially in the manner in which he did.

I think it is unfair to try to lay the blame at Cllr Powell's door in this instance.

The difference between Belmont Voice and the BR website in mainly in the way we allow comments to be made, in the case of the BR website this was done by emailing the admin your views and personal opinion, then he would edit that view of yours to suit himself, then publish his edited version, which I know happened on many cases.

Here at Belmont Voice the forums are LIVE! there is very little editing, if any at all and any comment/post/opinion is published exactly how the author intended it to be.

So I am sorry but I cannot see how Cllr Powell can be solely blamed for the closure of the BR website in this instance.

Collin

What is being said by persons in the know Roderick Robinson was threatened with legal action by Cllr. Powell, because I belive that truth hurt.

Sorry but I think this was a feeble excuse on behalf of BR. I like this site simply because it is so instant and replies are instant, no waiting for days on end for an edited reply. I personally sent a few emails to the other site and some took almost a week to be published and even then it was not published as it was written, which in my opinion defeats the object. :Angry_32:

This site just looks and feels so much more professional with live and sometimes controversial debates which is what it's all about.

I am sure the other councillors with join in time as this is the perfect vehicle in which to communicate with locals instantly. :Thumbs-Up:

Rebecca

I ask will they? while Glenda is the main contributer.

I asked why the BR website was closed down and the editer sent this reply :- As I explained, I was threatened with defamation proceedings. From professional experience I know that these are both expensive and time-consuming even if you win.This is why it closed down and it is a pity it did close it was a good website and alot of the other councillors went on it .

This website is good and hopefully one day the other councillors will join it. :Smile_32:

Good on you lpusseycat for printing the truth, I just wonder if Glenda has a truthful answere to you?

Collin

What is being said by persons in the know Roderick Robinson was threatened with legal action by Cllr. Powell, because I belive that truth hurt.

Roger,

I am fully aware that legal action was threatened but in all honesty there would of been no libel case to answer, even Roderick Robinson has acknowledged that in his closing statement, either that or he was unsure himself? It would of been quite simple if he was unsure to of just removed the said emails!

I am still of the opinion that this was a fairly lame excuse as to why the site was closed down. I think the site was on it's last legs anyway and the administrator had either lost interest or did not have the time required to continue with the demand that the site was putting on him but now of course he has a certain amount of sympathy I guess...

I have been an administrator of many forums and websites for many years and people make threats and asks for threads to removed all the time, this is not unusual and this would not of caused me to close down the site.

All posts are property and copyright of the original author/poster and it's how they express their views and opinions that could be in question here and not the person on the receiving end. So, if anyone is to be blamed here it's the young girl who made the allegations in the first instance. Roderick Robinson apparently, is an experienced magazine editor and was fully aware of what he published on his website. He alone edits and vets all emails prior to publishing them himself! Unlike here, where its down to the member to action the submit button.

I fully agree with Colin's reply above. He has explained it perfectly, nobody can be blamed here that's just a load of rubbish and is just an escape goat on behalf of BR.

If other councillors choose not to join the site, then that can only be down to them, what do they fear? as someone has already said, are these elected councillors not professional then? they refuse to join because they possibly object to another councillor being on here? how pathetic and child like! They should rise above all of that and contribute in helping out, answering questions where they can, giving information to their constituents and not worrying about someone else.

Quite happy to canvas for our votes though and they will be sniffing around come next May, of that I am sure.

This site could be very useful to them, I am finding it very useful myself.

Roger it seems that you have some other issues with Cllr Powell as you are constantly moaning about her. To be fair to her she has tried very hard to help and advise on here and I appreciate that.

I fully agree with Colin's reply above. He has explained it perfectly, nobody can be blamed here that's just a load of rubbish and is just an escape goat on behalf of BR.

If other councillors choose not to join the site, then that can only be down to them, what do they fear? as someone has already said, are these elected councillors not professional then? they refuse to join because they possibly object to another councillor being on here? how pathetic and child like! They should rise above all of that and contribute in helping out, answering questions where they can, giving information to their constituents and not worrying about someone else.

Quite happy to canvas for our votes though and they will be sniffing around come next May, of that I am sure.

Roger it seems that you have some other issues with Cllr Powell as you are constantly moaning about her. To be fair to her she has tried very hard to help and advise on here and I appreciate that.

I couldn't agree more.

Can we not get back to normal service here as this topic is getting a little boring, if the other councillors want to put up their childish little protest instead of serving their community on here then let them carry on, how pathetically sad. :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down: :Thumbs-Down:

Well said, I have read a few posts complaining about the BR closing, sorry but I have the same view as above.

Roger,

I am fully aware that legal action was threatened but in all honesty there would of been no libel case to answer, even Roderick Robinson has acknowledged that in his closing statement, either that or he was unsure himself? It would of been quite simple if he was unsure to of just removed the said emails!

I am still of the opinion that this was a fairly lame excuse as to why the site was closed down. I think the site was on it's last legs anyway and the administrator had either lost interest or did not have the time required to continue with the demand that the site was putting on him but now of course he has a certain amount of sympathy I guess...

I have been an administrator of many forums and websites for many years and people make threats and asks for threads to removed all the time, this is not unusual and this would not of caused me to close down the site.

All posts are property and copyright of the original author/poster and it's how they express their views and opinions that could be in question here and not the person on the receiving end. So, if anyone is to be blamed here it's the young girl who made the allegations in the first instance. Roderick Robinson apparently, is an experienced magazine editor and was fully aware of what he published on his website. He alone edits and vets all emails prior to publishing them himself! Unlike here, where its down to the member to action the submit button.

Colin to some extent I agree with you the site information was out of date, but what was nice there was no one person that seemed to be the master contributor. What was nice one picked up small snippets of useful local information that was talked about till the end, when there was a bit of slagging going on in my opinion not slanderous but a hate pattern developing?

It would be nice to have just a Belmont PC, and City PC (Newton Farm, and Hunderton which would come under city parish council) or separate PC websites, where all parish clerks contribute to the website.

It is difficult for me to explain as I know it very technical to create a perfect website to suit all persons.

You have done well, and once you clean up your site and dont gives preference to certain councillor’s, I would think there would be a good take up by councillors, if it were linked to the parish councils.

Colin to some extent I agree with you the site information was out of date, but what was nice there was no one person that seemed to be the master contributor. What was nice one picked up small snippets of useful local information that was talked about till the end, when there was a bit of slagging going on in my opinion not slanderous but a hate pattern developing?

It would be nice to have just a Belmont PC, and City PC (Newton Farm, and Hunderton which would come under city parish council) or separate PC websites, where all parish clerks contribute to the website.

It is difficult for me to explain as I know it very technical to create a perfect website to suit all persons.

You have done well, and once you clean up your site and dont gives preference to certain councillor’s, I would think there would be a good take up by councillors, if it were linked to the parish councils.

Well I have considered a City Forum and that may still happen in the future.

I do not give preferences to any councillor? please explain what you are referring too when you say preferences? I can only comment on Cllr Powell because she is the only active Cllr here! She has exactly the same forum permissions as you.

Andy Myatt registered but has yet to post.

Well I have considered a City Forum and that may still happen in the future.

I do not give preferences to any councillor? please explain what you are referring too when you say preferences? I can only comment on Cllr Powell because she is the only active Cllr here! She has exactly the same forum permissions as you.

Andy Myatt registered but has yet to post.

I think Roger Edwards is saying that it looks like you are giving preferences to Cllr Powell ,it is because she is the only councillor on here answering questions. While Cllr Powell is still on here answering everyones questions the other councillors will not come on here.

I can understand why as we all know some of the councillors and we all know which ones they are don't get on with each other :Sad_32: .

It would be nice to have other councillors on here one day and hopefully this will happen in the future as this is a good site :Thumbs-Up:

I think Roger Edwards is saying that it looks like you are giving preferences to Cllr Powell ,it is because she is the only councillor on here answering questions. While Cllr Powell is still on here answering everyones questions the other councillors will not come on here.

I can understand why as we all know some of the councillors and we all know which ones they are don't get on with each other :Sad_32: .

It would be nice to have other councillors on here one day and hopefully this will happen in the future as this is a good site :Thumbs-Up:

I agree with you on this is a good forum and possibly other councillors will join in the future, but quite frankly, I think it's pathetic and immature it is also very unprofessional. :Sick_32:

• Guests
Guest Glenysp
On 30/10/2010 at 11:23, Colin James said:

Sorry if I'm a bit behind but are you saying that having set up the website for BRPC, they then wouldn't take part?

On 04/11/2010 at 15:05, Glenysp said:

Sorry if I'm a bit behind but are you saying that having set up the website for BRPC, they then wouldn't take part?

No, I think Colin is saying that since he has set up the newer Belmont Voice and only 2 councillors have joined so far.

While I appreciate that other councillors may have issues with some of their colleagues, it is very unprofessional and immature that they have not joined up because of this and this is my opinion.

Frank