Belmont and Haywood Country Park

Glenda Powell

A open air community meeting took place in Westholme Road last week
A group of local fishermen are setting up a community angling club in order to work in partnership with Herefordshire council on the future management of fishing at the big pool. A number of issues were raised and one of the outcomes was that a number of places on the angling club committee will be for local residents, and also a number of day tickets for fishing will be available.

A number of day tickets, so do we have to pay then to fish in our pool? I am not trying to be awkward here, but if the fisherman have formed some sort of committee they will then think they run the pool, surely this belongs to the group that bought it, not sure that letting the fisherman do this is a great idea.

I could form a committee for all the walkers that visit the pool, so would we have as much say in what goes on or are we just offering favouritism to the fishermen?

I for one was not aware that any meeting took place, who attended?

A number of day tickets, so do we have to pay then to fish in our pool? I am not trying to be awkward here, but if the fisherman have formed some sort of committee they will then think they run the pool, surely this belongs to the group that bought it, not sure that letting the fisherman do this is a great idea.

I could form a committee for all the walkers that visit the pool, so would we have as much say in what goes on or are we just offering favouritism to the fishermen?

Victor has raised some valid points I think, any decisions about the pool should be made by the parish and councils that own the pools.

Victor has raised some valid points I think, any decisions about the pool should be made by the parish and councils that own the pools.

There is no favourtism to the fishermen they are working with Herefordshire council

There were around 30 people who attended the meeting, local residents, Belmont ward councillors, parish councillors, South Wye Regeneration Board, police officers and parks and countryside staff from Herefordshire Council, also I represented the Hereford city council as a city councillor. The pools are in the city boundary and will eventually become part of the Haywood Country Park.The main partnership who purchased and put the bulk of the monies into the pools are Herefordshire council, Hereford City parish council and the South Wye regenerationpartnership, Belmont Parish council put in funding of £7.500 and will have a say in what happens.

Glenda could you please clarify point 1 and 2.

Glenda could you please clarify point 1 and 2.

Frank and Victor - I have made contact with Amanda Evans (01432 383230) from the South Wye Regeneration Board about your questions, she apologised that you were not aware of the open air meeting at the pools last Friday, she has said if you both would like to ring her on the above number she will discuss these matters with you.

The number is her office which is open 9am - 4.30pm Monday - Friday. Glenda