Great Western Way

P. Rowe

I was walking along the great western way the other night and noticed a fair amount of litter, the whole area is poorly lit at night too and very overgrown in parts, which must be nerving for people walking along there alone. Who is responsible for litter, grass, hedges and lighting etc?

I was walking along the great western way the other night and noticed a fair amount of litter, the whole area is poorly lit at night too and very overgrown in parts, which must be nerving for people walking along there alone. Who is responsible for litter, grass, hedges and lighting etc?

It is Amey who is responsible for grass cutting etc I am already on the case and waiting for them to tell me when the work will be done,lighting is'street scene' part of Herefordshire Council when I get conformation I will as always post it on belmont voice.

Well, credit where it's due, I had a walk along the Great Western Way this morning and I was suprised to see the council there cleaning up the rubbish.

gw1.png

Albeit in a fashion but and they walked passed loads of empty bottles but they were cleaning up the bulk.

While out walking along the old railway lines this morning, just as you approach the Belmont road bridge, there is this eye sore!

gw2.png

This is disgusting! you really need to see it to appreciate how vile it is. As you can see these garages need demolishing all the grass and weeds are overgrown and I was stood only on the path when I took this picture.

Another view

gw4.png

There is also a big ugly slab of concrete where the previous garages on the left side have been demolished, but it looks like it's just been left?? :Angry_32:

gw5.png

What can be done about this?

This garage area belongs to Herefordshire Housing, and the part removal of garages 12 months ago was to free up the land for possible housing. I have just contacted them asking what is happening with this area, and at the very least it needs to be cleared of rubbish, they are coming back to me later today.

In regards to the grass and weeds that is Amey I have also contacted them this moring asking for a complete cut, removal of weeds, cut back of trees around the light standard,remove rubbish / fly tipping and put new poo bins along the GWW.

They were there this morning, but having just taken a walk along the path between Hunderton bridge and the Belmont road bridge, they have clearly missed quite a lot of rubbish, this is frustrating as they were there with all the kit, if you going to do a job then at least do it right. :Hmm:  

• 2 weeks later...

This area does not look pleasant at all. I have read through all replies, have the contractors cleaned this up yet does anyone know?

I took a walk along here this morning and the answer to your question is NO I took this picture today, the original images were taken as far back as the 21st of June.

gww1.jpg

I took a walk along here this morning and the answer to your question is NO I took this picture today, the original images were taken as far back as the 21st of June.

post-2-13302954533666_thumb.jpg

This area as I advised you belongs to Herefordshire Housing,they could not give me an answer when I asked when they will do something about it. I believe that is also when they joined BV at my invitation so they could see the pictures and coments for themselves.

In regards to the grass and weeds that is Amey I have also contacted them this moring asking for a complete cut, removal of weeds, cut back of trees around the light standard,remove rubbish / fly tipping and put new poo bins along the GWW.

Clearing the weeds would be a good start, thought Amey were going to do this weeks ago?

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This garage area belongs to Herefordshire Housing, and the part removal of garages 12 months ago was to free up the land for possible housing. I have just contacted them asking what is happening with this area, and at the very least it needs to be cleared of rubbish, they are coming back to me later today.

Over a year on, so have they come back to you yet Glenda?

Are those garages being used? as they look derelict to me, if that s the case why don't they just knock them down or rebuild some new ones because in their current state it only encourages fly tipping and more graffiti.

Frank - there are three of the garages still being used. I have spoken with Herefordshire Housing this week and they advised me that other than keeping the area clean & tidy nothing is sceduled for the site.

I went on my weekly walk along GWW on Sunday, noted the rubbish etc and have reported it all to Amey Community Protection team and lights dept with the request of the whole area being cleared also branches removed from around light standards. They have replied that my request will to be actioned.

I went on my weekly walk along GWW on Sunday, noted the rubbish etc and have reported it all to Amey Community Protection team and lights dept with the request of the whole area being cleared also branches removed from around light standards. They have replied that my request will to be actioned.

With respect Glenda they said that to you in June 2010 so lets hope over 16 months on, that they actually do it for you this time. :Thumbs-Up:

• 4 weeks later...

While out walking along the old railway lines this morning, just as you approach the Belmont road bridge, there is this eye sore!

This is disgusting! you really need to see it to appreciate how vile it is. As you can see these garages need demolishing all the grass and weeds are overgrown and I was stood only on the path when I took this picture.

Another view

post-2-13302954507314_thumb.png

There is also a big ugly slab of concrete where the previous garages on the left side have been demolished, but it looks like it's just been left?? :Angry_32:

post-2-13302954510467_thumb.png

What can be done about this?

I raised the garage issue to Herefordshire Housing. Paul Kennedy has written back to me personally and confirmed that Herefordshire Housing has committed £340,000 in next years budget. This will ensure as necessary they will upgrade and rapair the garages / other building and if required demolish any of these that are considered unsafe.

On 06/11/2011 at 12:33, Adrian Bridges said:

I raised the garage issue to Herefordshire Housing. Paul Kennedy has written back to me personally and confirmed that Herefordshire Housing has committed £340,000 in next years budget. This will ensure as necessary they will upgrade and rapair the garages / other building and if required demolish any of these that are considered unsafe.

Lets hope that they knock the lot down.

• 1 year later...
On 06/11/2011 at 12:33, Adrian Bridges said:

We are almost at the end of 2012 now Adrian, the assurances you gave above have not emerged so far with only a few months left in this years budget...