Oval Toilets Planning Appeal Granted

Colin James

A government inspector has overruled Herefordshire Council and granted the appeal. A three-storey building can now be developed on the site of the former public toilets at The Oval.

I think this is good news, I would rather a nice new building instead of looking at those terrible toilets!

A government inspector has overruled Herefordshire Council and granted the appeal. A three-storey building can now be developed on the site of the former public toilets at The Oval.

I think this is good news, I would rather a nice new building instead of looking at those terrible toilets!

Like Colin James I am pleased the appeal was granted, I fought hard for this application to be approved in the first place as there were no valid reasons not to approve it,councillors were advised that if they went against officers recommendation the applicant could appeal which they did. Thankfully costs against Herefordshire council were not granted if they had of been it would of cost many thousands of pounds which would of come out of council tax payers monies, as a tax payer myself I am always mindful of the consequences of appeal costs when debating and voting for or against planning applications.

As the applicant won his appeal in both applications he has now got the option to build either the two or three storey building.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

This is the 3rd application so lets hope 3rd time lucky. Just don't want to be arround when they open the doors to these toilet block. Everyone want to see this new takeaway with the exception of the man who runs the chinese takeaway from the chippy, he objected last time.

This is the 3rd application so lets hope 3rd time lucky. Just don't want to be arround when they open the doors to these toilet block. Everyone want to see this new takeaway with the exception of the man who runs the chinese takeaway from the chippy, he objected last time.

It was passed last time Glenda? 

Environmental Health recommend a condition that the extract ventilation system must be approved by the local authority in writing so that we can be satisfied that no noise or odour nuisance is posed to neighbouring residential premises.

The extract ventilation system must be designed and constructed in accordance with the DEFRA Guidance on the Control of Odour and Noise from Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Systems. 

​This information should have been submitted with the application.

Roger, yes there is enough money in the area, the chippy, Subway and McDonald are very busy.

So why are people at the 'food banks' ..... ? Obviously no people who live near The Oval are using them then .... Just asking .... 

Roger, yes there is enough money in the area, the chippy, Subway and McDonald are very busy.

Roger, the people that are living in the flats and new housing round the Oval are using them, as well as the people living all over Newton Farm

Just the point I was making .... 

Roj, For the record, What has your area got to offer? IMO you seem jealous of being a northerner ;) and not having these great opportunities Southside.

We have a few great new modern-tech schools new housing development in progress, supermarkets and a lovely riverside walk into town or out into the sticks. Why on earth would I want to venture to the other side of town??

I rest my case.

Sustainability of the 'greasy takeouts' is neither here nor there, while people are too lazy too cook for themselves, or too ignorant to realize that too much of that type of food has a detrimental effect on the human body, then they will continue to do rather well for themselves.

Not sure what people using food banks has to do with the sustainability of a take-away.  Obviously if you are in need of food banks to survive then you are not going to be using any sort of take-away on a regular basis.  It doesn't mean that other people in the near-vicinity are also unable to afford to buy a take away.

Roj, For the record, What has your area got to offer? IMO you seem jealous of being a northerner ;) and not having these great opportunities Southside.

I live basically at Churchill gardens. So it's a 10/15 minute walk in any direction to get to a retail or food outlet. No complaints from me.

Anything is obviously better than that grotty defunct toilet block. Best of luck to Mr. Chung with his venture.

People living north of the city has always run South Wye down for many years, they also say south of the city has everything done for them which really annoyes me. 20 years ago the people of South Wye started the South Wye Regeneration Board with government money, but to get the money all 5 estates had to work together which we did, every area has their own community association and community centre (with the exception of Newton Farm)we used the St Francis church and we achieved a great deal through sheer hard work. So you can understand why I am passionate about the area I have lived in all my life.Sorry I have strayed off subject.

People living north of the city has always run South Wye down for many years

Agreed. It was ingrained into me at School. Just a fact. Luckily I have had an open mind about this for longer than I can care to remember. But this 'divide' is something that persists. And I think it will continue to persist. 

You may be right about the continual divide, over recent years there has been more problems north of the city than  south of the river. I am not saying south Wye is perfect but thats down to some of the people living here. South Wye people are very protective of where they live and like living here!

You may be right about the continual divide, over recent years there has been more problems north of the city than  south of the river. I am not saying south Wye is perfect but thats down to some of the people living here. South Wye people are very protective of where they live and like living here!

Well said Glenda.

Growing up, A good scrap always entertained southsiders, Haywood vs Whitecross/aylestone/St fairys on the lines every Friday - when they bothered to turn up. ;) southsiders have always stood up and been counted not rolled over and took it laying down like northerners (or poshside as they think of themselves!)

Sustainability of the 'greasy takeouts' is neither here nor there, while people are too lazy too cook for themselves, or too ignorant to realize that too much of that type of food has a detrimental effect on the human body, then they will continue to do rather well for themselves.

Not sure what people using food banks has to do with the sustainability of a take-away.  Obviously if you are in need of food banks to survive then you are not going to be using any sort of take-away on a regular basis.  It doesn't mean that other people in the near-vicinity are also unable to afford to buy a take away.

I had a takeaway only last night, I do not think that qualifies me as being lazy though?

I have just arrived back into the UK after a long week away working, so whats wrong with grabbing a takeaway? As it happens I had a rather nice hot Indian curry with some boiled rice, which apparently is actually good for you in moderation.

So based upon your suggestion that people are to lazy too cook themselves, we may as well close all the restaurants down then? 

I think my comments have been misinterpreted, my fault, the way I wrote it.

What I meant was that people who eat takeaways on a very regular basis, not once in a while.

I apologise for any offence I may have caused.  

My mistake, sorry.