HEREFORDSHIRE COUNCIL LEADER " Steps down "

Ubique

From Herefordshire CC Press release

Cllr Tony Johnson has today announced his resignation as Leader of Herefordshire Council, which will take effect at the next full Council meeting on 9 March 2018.

Councillor_Tony_Johnson.jpg

Councillor Johnson has been a councillor with Herefordshire Council for more than seven years and has been Leader of the council for five years. He is stepping down to spend more time with his family and on his hobbies, and will remain a ward councillor for Hope End.

Councillor Johnson said:

Over the past five years, I am lucky to have been involved in projects that have really put Herefordshire on the map. The new Enterprise Zone at Rotherwas brought new business and jobs, the new Livestock Market provided a purpose-built venue which enjoys growing trade and the Old Market has revitalised the city centre.

I am proud to have worked with Herefordshire Councils dedicated teams of professionals and would like to thank them for the support during my time as Leader. My work continues as a councillor for Hope End ward, as I support the council and my constituents. I look forward to following the progress made as I take life at a slower place and take time to enjoy this beautiful county.

In line with the council constitution, the new Leader will be elected at the meeting of full Council on 9 March.

What I have heard over the past few months Tony Johnson was fed up of voicing his opinion on various decisions made by the Conservative cabinet, and being told " we are the controlling party of Herefordshire Council, and as Leader you just get on with what we have decided". in other words "do as your told". That has come from a reliable source in the council.

In 2019 at least 8 Conservative Cllrs are standing down therefore they will lose their majority, again from reliable source Phil Edwards is going for Leader of the Council ?

https://www.facebook.com/CouncillorElissaSwinglehurst/…

Change of Leader.
There will be a change of Leader in the Council; Cllr.Anthony Johnson has stepped down and Cllr. Jonathan Lester has been elected as the new leader, the official hand over will take place at the full council meeting on the 9th March. Jonathan is very able, he is relatively young but has ample experience having served as Cabinet member for Childrens services. http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx…

That snippet passed me by I did not know the new leader had been selected

• Thumbs Up 1