Where to go, what to do...

Sezbet

Hello, my partner and I are completely new to Hereford - we moved up from Cornwall a few days ago, leaving virtually everyone we know behind. We aren’t the most social of creatures, and we don’t go out a great deal, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like spending time with good people and listening to good music. I’d love it if the members here could advise and recommend? Especially places that don’t cost an arm and a leg - moving has pretty much cleared out our wallets!

Thank you all for replying! We’re just across to the south of the river in Lower Bullingham - it only takes about 20 to 30 minutes to walk into the city.

We’ve walked passed De Koffe Pot a few times and I keep thinking we should go in there. We’ll definitely check out the pubs too.

Welcome. Herefordshire is a wonderful county to live. Mainly rural but with some progressive towns like Ross and Ledbury. Hereford is well on its way to becoming city capable of looking after its self. Like many such rural areas it has its drawbacks, but with a new university, progressive businesses, and some great local pubs etc I think you will find not that different from Cornwall.

Hope you will be happy here.

Welcome . I am always intrigued why people choose to move to Hereford, don't get me wrong I am Hfd born and bred but why Hereford ??

Have lived and worked in many Cities & Counties around the Midlands,been in their rush hr traffic etc and believe me we in Hereford really don't have that much to moan about traffic wise except the traffic lights.

Welcome to Herefordshire, you Cornish evacuees! Unlike your former county (now overrun by metropolitan chattering classes, I gather), Herefordshire remains one of Britain's best-kept secrets, thanks largely to our council's inept marketing department.

Coffee shops are always an essential starting point on any foray into a city's centre.  Well you'll be glad to hear that Starbucks has been-and-gone. The coffee in All Saint's Cafe is good but pricey; and the service in friendly Ascari's (apparently its founder once had dreams of being a Grand Prix racer) is friendly, but its coffee is only Second Division quality.

For the supreme dark espresso (or try their amazing 'Flat White') and a cordial reception from owner/ manager Nicola, make Sensory & Rye (corner of Union Street and Bath Street) your Staging Post for any of your city centre explorations. The cafe's 'retro-industrial' decor is particularly memorable.

Welcome . I am always intrigued why people choose to move to Hereford, don't get me wrong I am Hfd born and bred but why Hereford ??

Hey there, it's simple - WORK! It seems to be a little known fact that Cornwall is one of the most deprived areas in the UK, it even gets (for the moment) Objective One funding from the EU - there is very little work available that isn't in the care or tourist industry...or shift work in shops. Anyone not on benefit is likely to have at least two jobs, and even then is probably getting some kind of help.

I love Cornwall, but I've spent most of the last ten years getting qualified as a horticultural scientist and realised very quickly that I would have to move in order to find work in that field (no pun intended). I was lucky and privileged to get a job with a commercial nursery in the area. Herefordshire is alive compared to Cornwall, it feels hopeful and able, whereas Cornwall feels resigned and worn down, even my partner, who is Cornish born and bred (and proud of it) and a little...miffed, shall we say...at having to live in England (never, I repeat NEVER tell a Cornish person that they live in England! Especially not in a Cornish pub after a few drinks) but even he loves it here...plus, the light's beautiful (he's a landscape photographer) and there are so many national parks and areas of outstanding national beauty around.

Have lived and worked in many Cities & Counties around the Midlands,been in their rush hr traffic etc and believe me we in Hereford really don't have that much to moan about traffic wise except the traffic lights.

My partner, who does all the driving for now, is struggling with the roads - the junctions and roundabouts really - more than he's struggled in Plymouth or London...or any other city, but I'm sure he'll get a handle on it :-)

Welcome to Herefordshire, you Cornish evacuees! Unlike your former county (now overrun by metropolitan chattering classes, I gather), Herefordshire remains one of Britain's best-kept secrets, thanks largely to our council's inept marketing department.

Coffee shops are always an essential starting point on any foray into a city's centre.  Well you'll be glad to hear that Starbucks has been-and-gone. The coffee in All Saint's Cafe is good but pricey; and the service in friendly Ascari's (apparently its founder once had dreams of being a Grand Prix racer) is friendly, but its coffee is only Second Division quality.

For the supreme dark espresso (or try their amazing 'Flat White') and a cordial reception from owner/ manager Nicola, make Sensory & Rye (corner of Union Street and Bath Street) your Staging Post for any of your city centre explorations. The cafe's 'retro-industrial' decor is particularly memorable.

That's awesome! Thank you!!!!

Cornwall Council recently spent £75 grand on a consultants firm to help the economy of Cornwall - their report? Focus on Poldark and pasties! So basically the tourism industry. It's caused a bit of resentment! It has a large retiree population (it's nice to see so many people of working age here) and of course the tourists in summer.

My partner, who does all the driving for now, is struggling with the roads - the junctions and roundabouts really - more than he's struggled in Plymouth or London...or any other city, but I'm sure he'll get a handle on it :-)

I think a lot of the locals are struggling with the roads in the city Sezbet so take heart (Nearly renamed you then but managed to edit it!)

I think a lot of the locals are struggling with the roads in the city Sezbet so take heart (Nearly renamed you then but managed to edit it!)

:Happy_32: Did a pesky 'x' try to get in there? Happens to me sometimes too, way back when we had to start coming up with newfangled usernames it's what came to mind - my brother would call me Sez instead of Sarah, and my surname's Bettany - despite the risk of appearing far racier than I am, I've stuck with it.

Thank you for reassuring me, despite my age I'm still a learner driver, and the thought of getting back behind a wheel here is a little frightening.

• 3 weeks later...