The Church of Freedom and Rough Sleepers

Clarkester

Recently I have noticed that most mornings there are two or more people sleeping rough in the doorway of the Freedom Church on Commercial Road.

It set me wondering

Firstly, are those in the FC aware of this?  I cannot believe they are not…

Secondly, what are their feelings towards having people sleeping on their front step?

Thirdly, being all good Christians and all that, why, are they not opening their doors and welcoming them in for a warmer, more comfortable nights sleep?

It seems to me that the building is more than capable of giving a few, less fortunate people, that may have fallen on hard times through no fault of their own, a good nights sleep in nicer surroundings than an old nightclub doorway. 
Think of all the good publicity they could give themselves.

What does the Freedom Church actually do other than hold cult like mass baptisms and grooming children by handing out sweets at school gates and handing out hot drinks (possibly drugged lol) to students walking up Aylestone hill? Never heard a good word about them. But I too have seen the homeless here and have also wondered why they haven't been let inside. The church at Eign Gate or whatever also has rough sleepers from time to time.

Saturday 9 September. 08.30hrs. Five overnight sleepers in the FC's doorway in Commercial Road. St Peter's CoE Church regularly lays on free breakfasts in winter for unfortunates who don't have a roof over their heads. Wonder why the FC happy clappers don't open their doors to provide the same sort of christian charity.

Fast forward to 13:30... Three chaps still in the doorway... Will they be so welcome tomorrow I wonder?

In answer to that clarkester no they are not welcome by FC called by today & spoke with the guys sleeping rough obviously FC like to cherry pick the bits of Christianity that suits them & giving help to homeless people is not one of those things on their list!

T'is easier for a rich man to crawl through the eye of a needle than it is for a poor homeless person mounted on a Camel to enter the Kingdom of The God that these parasitical zealots and hypocrites worship.

Split a piece of wood and you'll find them. Lift up a stone and they'll be there. Charities! Legally registered and operating under the banner of The Lord Is Always By Y'er Side. Designed to take money and orchestrated to keep it and grow increasingly wealthy by the appropriating of property. And it's all done under your nose. Arranged by the rich man who lives in the big house on the hill, supported by those who would like to live on the hill and funded by a gathering of holier than thou tambourine shaking gullible sycophants who want to follow those that live in the big house on the hill and want to feel good about themselves before they meet and face their headstone. The game of Registered Charitable organisations continues unabated and happily making the wealthy wealthier and the poor worse off.

Ah, it's all okay, folks...

It says so in the Hereford Times.

Mike Truelove said that the Freedom Church is providing assistance to homeless people.

Of course, he doesn't go on to say what sort of assistance that might be.

This is of course in the story of Hereford BID's final solution to the begging "problem" (mainly in Church Street apparently!)

All a bit "Hot Fuzz" if you ask me.  Still, it's for the greater good...

Slightly askew to this thread's main theme (homeless sleeping rough outdoors), but a good friend of mine worked for many years at the Hereford branch of the Samaritans. He said that they would often get a visit from an itinerant vagrant (once called 'men of the road') who just wanted a bit of warmth and a free cup of tea and a biscuit. One regular told my friend that amongst the men of the road, word spread that Hereford was a 'no go' area, for the simple reason that it has no refuge (unlike, say Worcester or Gloucester). The best place to kip, he said, was in the pedestrian tunnel connecting Eign Gate with Whitecross Road, though even there, one was in danger of 'getting a kicking' from homeward-bound disco revellers.

If it wants to put its compassionate Christian money where its mouth is, why can't FC join forces with HC and create a state-of-the-art refuge on its site on the Rotherwas Road, which I believe it purchased a couple of years back for a sum somewhat southwards of £1-million?

Passing by FC on Commercial Road this morning (Tuesday 26/09/2017) I noticed that there is a lovely, secure roller door blocking off the main door from all those pesky rough sleepers. 

That's so welcoming and Christian, I thought to myself...  What a lovely bunch they are.

This sits all wrong with me.  

I would be the first to admit that I am not the most charitable person in the world, but then I also don't preach my misguided beliefs to a paying audience...  

So, when I saw the shuttered front door on their "cathedral" it got me wondering and poking about on their website...

This was interesting:

WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO SERVE THE COMMUNITY?

Freedom Church is involved in serving the community in a number of different ways, from Freedom Heroes, our street kids project in Kampala, Uganda, to a Saturday morning cafe for refugees and asylum seekers in Cardiff, to community programmes that provide practical care and support to financially poorer communities in Siem Reap, Cambodia.

We also encourage people who come along to Freedom to recognise a personal call to serve and support the community however possible, from volunteering with community projects, to raising money for causes, to serving on the local council or as governors in school.

Just so long as you are not homeless, don't have a problem with alcohol or are not looking for somewhere to bed down...

I won't normally comment on religious attitudes towards others, think underneath it all, they all breed intolerance and cause a lot of the world's problems, but this does underline that at the end of the day FC is a business, quite a successful one by all accounts, and they don't want itinerants in their doorway putting people and their wallets off!

H. Wilson, go there on a Sunday morning/lunchtime...  They are certainly open then.

I can't say I've seen it open at any other time, but then I only go past at about 08:30 in the morning.

They may well be open all throughout the day, helping the homeless, feeding the hungry, giving to the poor, aiding the sick and all that good, good stuff that they do...I just don't see it.

Pirated minutes of a recent Freedom Church management committee meeting:-

ITEM 17  Problem of unauthorised overnight sleepers in the entrance porch of FC's Commercial Road premises. The three options for the committee to consider are:- 1) call the police; 2) offer the sleepers Christian sanctuary and a hearty breakfast; 3) erect a security roller shutter (estimated cost: £850). Option 3 was passed unanimously.

I've got mixed views regarding this religious sect. Having recently attended their congregation I can report that they're genuinely and ideologically driven and determined to address sin in all its many forms, particularly the sins that concern those of the flesh and those associated with gambling upon uncertain outcomes, drinking to excess and viewing internet material that can get you aroused and compel one to fondle themselves in the privacy of their own home.

I ended up in there after wondering about in Commercial Road. Somehow or other I must have given the passing impression that I was a lost soul and bereft of hope and needed to be found. And so subsequently some observant devil dodger who spotted me gibbering on whilst laid in the gutter after getting blasted out of me mind consuming a bucket of ale took me by the hand and tenderly lead me to the front of the stage where the hirearchy had gathered to get rid of the sinning and the erring that's so blighted the lives of those who have a predisposition to err and sin and generally displease God, the Police and the Council.

The holy prophet, a senior member of the Council, the one dressed in a long flowing garment that implied he was the one to drive out the Incubus and the Succubus fixed his steely holy eyes on me and instructed the bouncers to grab a hold of me, restrain me and tether me to a stool on the stage. What subsequently followed was a testament to their determination to cleanse me, rid me of sin and humiliate the satanic forces that drive me daily to sin, err and get blasted out of me brains supping ale.

After some gibbering in biblical tongues that was probably the ancient Judean language of Aramaic, the Prophet bellowed, 'are you a sinner'. I said, 'yes I've sinned and before you ask, yes I've erred'. Whipped up by a demented congregation who began chanting, 'drive the devil out', the Prophet who'd once reported he'd been abducted by aliens whilst managing the funding of Blue School House which then completely explained the huge overspend on the bloody building quickly slapped my fat face several times, dunked me head in a bucket of blessed water and began to scream, 'behelzebub be gone. Leave this body and return from whence thou came'.

This dreadful onslaught continued throughout the singing of all seven versus of The Old Rugged Cross until I was asked, 'do you accept the holy blood of Christ and the sacred word and blessed baptism of Gods appointed followers of the Sacred Heart of the Freedom Church. It was only after I disclosed that I was stoney broke, I had no credit card and no realistic fiscal means to pay for my violation that my torment was ended, I was untied from my stool and allowed to crawl away up the aisle, out through the front doors, past some poverty stricken rough sleepers and to hear the fading audible waning cries from the congregation of, 'it's a miracle. Lord be praised.'

Pirated minutes of a recent Freedom Church management committee meeting:-

ITEM 17  Problem of unauthorised overnight sleepers in the entrance porch of FC's Commercial Road premises. The three options for the committee to consider are:- 1) call the police; 2) offer the sleepers Christian sanctuary and a hearty breakfast; 3) erect a security roller shutter (estimated cost: £850). Option 3 was passed unanimously.

When the Council moved into Franklin House the first thing they did was to install a roller shutter at the main, recessed, entrance doorway. It was a magnet for vomiters' and p!ssers' before they did that. Both these shutters' are logical decisions.