Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
- - - - -

Highway Code Doesn't Apply To Some Cyclists Then?

Crime Hereford

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#31 H.Wilson

H.Wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

Fixed Penalty Notices are disposals for criminal offences. The Road Traffic Acts and other delegated legislative measures are not civil law but create criminal offences.

Thank you for this clarification, George.

#32 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 29 August 2017

Today's early morning criminal, this one is brilliant because this cheeky cyclist is even wearing a headcam to catch out other bad road users.

Cyclist 01.jpg

Cyclist 02.jpg

Can anyone justify this manoeuvre? 

#33 Steve Major

Steve Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

Today's early morning criminal, this one is brilliant because this cheeky cyclist is even wearing a headcam to catch out other bad road users.

attachicon.gifCyclist 01.jpg

attachicon.gifCyclist 02.jpg

Can anyone justify this manoeuvre? 

OMG, what a complete knob!! I am now starting to understand why the statistics show so many cyclists getting injured or killed by other motorists.

#34 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 29 August 2017

This evenings footpath cyclist...

Footpath Cyclist.jpg

#35 megilleland

megilleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 31 August 2017

In The Guardian today:

(extract)

Chris Boardman, the former world champion cyclist who won gold at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and several stages of the Tour de France, is avoiding riding on Britain’s roads because he feels they have become too dangerous.

“The roads are statistically safe, but it doesn’t look it and it doesn’t feel it. Now I try to do more of my riding off-road, which is sad,” he told the Guardian in an interview to mark his appointment as the first cycling and walking commissioner for Greater Manchester.

Boardman said he found road riding in parts of the UK “exhausting” and unpleasant. “False modesty aside, I’m about as competent as it gets and I am constantly doing risk assessments. I’m looking at parked cars, seeing which way wheels are turning, everything that’s going on around me. It’s just exhausting. Whereas if I ride on a track or a trail I don’t have to do that and it’s just more pleasant these days,” he said.

Boardman’s mother, Carol, was killed last year while riding her bike in Connah’s Quay, Deeside. For months afterwards, he stopped cycling and has only recently got back in the saddle.

If he thinks it's too dangerous to cycle on the roads no wonder we see cyclists on the pavement. The main problems regarding our interactions with other members of society is a total lack of respect and awareness for one another. The "I'm alright Jack" and "What's it got do with you" approach is what typifies present British behaviour whether in cars, on bikes or on foot. It's quite nice to give way once and awhile.

Edited by megilleland, 31 August 2017 .

#36 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 01 September 2017

I have been away on business for a few days however, please find today's footpath friends, look out for the one riding down into the subway even though there is a sign telling cyclists to dismount. 

Footpath Cyclist.jpg

Footpath Cyclist 1.jpg

Subway Cyclist.jpg

Our subway friendly cyclist

#37 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 20 September 2017

I have been out of the country for a few weeks hence the lack of photographs, however, these are today's criminals so far and I missed at least 4 others.

Belmont Road Cyclist.jpg

West Street Cyclist.jpg

Belmont Road Cyclist 1.jpg

#38 H.Wilson

H.Wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 September 2017

It appears to be a regular occurrence, more frequent than I thought to be honest.

#39 megilleland

megilleland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted Yesterday

In the Guardian today:

(extract)

In a statement released by the Department for Transport (DfT), Jesse Norman said it was necessary to make sure that road safety rules kept pace with the use of bikes. “We already have strict laws that ensure that drivers who put people’s lives at risk are punished but, given recent cases, it is only right for us to look at whether dangerous cyclists should face the same consequences. We’ve seen the devastation that reckless cycling and driving can cause, and this review will help safeguard both Britain’s cyclists and those who share the roads with them.”

The initial part of the process will report in the new year, the DfT statement said. A second phase will consider different ways in which safety can be further improved between cyclists, pedestrians and motorists, covering areas such as rules, public awareness and signs.

Of the 400 or so pedestrians killed on UK roads every year, about one or two on average are struck by bikes. Some campaigners have questioned whether there is an urgent need for a law specifically relating to cyclists given the rarity of such deaths. They also argue that the process would work best as part of a wider examination of road laws and their application, promised by the government in May 2014 but delayed.

Edited by megilleland, Yesterday.

#40 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts
  • LocationNewton Farm, Hereford

Posted Yesterday

I just saw a chap riding his bike no-handed while texting, going along Holmer Rd footpath, unbelievable. 

#41 Ubique

Ubique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
  • LocationWhere Right and Glory lead.

Posted Yesterday

I had the privledge of driving down Whitecross Road from the roundabout to Ryland St ( collecting a hedgehog from the Vets ) at 4.30 this afternoon ,plus of course the return stop start journey . At this time I saw a number of cyclists on the pavements travelling at speed in both directions . My concern with cyclists who ride at speed on the pavements is the manner they "creep up " on pedestrians walking on the pavement in the same direction as the cyclist . They pass at speed so close to the pedestrian(s) without any warning - accident / collosion just waiting to happen . I can understand but not condone why they ride in the pavement to get from A to B .
Sir Winston Churchill-
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life".

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Hereford

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users