Welcome!

Be sure to register in order to take full advantage of all of the awesome features this forum has!

Photo
- - - - -

Highway Code Doesn't Apply To Some Cyclists Then?

Crime Hereford

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 23 August 2017

While I am in total favour of promoting cycling where possible and encouraging motorists to use their bicycles for short trips, what I find very frustrating is when some cyclists think the law (highway code) does not apply to them, particularly when it comes to traffic lights, junctions, pedestrian crossings and footpaths. Also, see Frank Smith's topic on a cyclists using a footpath here

I see cyclists virtually everyday jumping red lights and riding on and off footpaths to avoid red traffic lights and junctions. I saw a chap again this evening, no lights and texting while he was riding along the footpath.

Over the next few weeks, I will try and photograph/video each time I witness this happening using my dash cam or asking my passengers to gather the evidence when they are with me. I just want to record and highlight how often this is happening, I think you may be surprised. Yes, I know motorists are often no better but I do hear the cyclist claiming to be the victim just a little too frequent.

if they expect to be treated like any other road user, then they also need to abide by the same rules, they can't have it both ways!

I came back from Fownhope this evening with my Mrs and I could see this cyclist all over the place, coming through High Town, one minute on the road, the next on the footpath anyway, we were eventually sat at the Old Bridge waiting for the traffic lights to change when I noticed the same cyclist coming along the road from behind us, you guessed it, he mounted the footpath to avoid waiting for the traffic lights to change.

Ignore Traffic Lights.jpg

When we got down to the next junction (opposite Asda Garage) we had passed another cyclist in St Martins Street, so I asked my good lady to just film the traffic lights while we were sat there waiting because I just knew he wasn't going to stop either!

Guess what? 

#2 H.Wilson

H.Wilson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 August 2017

I agree this is very frustrating especially when they are quick enough off the mark to try and catch out the motorist with the head cams etc

#3 Frank Smith

Frank Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  • LocationHereford.

Posted 23 August 2017

Unless otherwise stated cyclists are not permitted to ride on footpaths.

Something that confuses many cyclists is whether or not they are allowed to cycle on the pavement. According to Laws HA 1835 section 72 & RSA 1984, section 129, cyclists must not cycle on the pavement. 

#4 Alex

Alex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationNewton Farm, Hereford

Posted 24 August 2017

This is one thing that does annoy me. I have read Frank Smith's post to and the police need to do more. Police target the easy target motorists all the time and it is about time they clamped down on other road users. Only yesterday I saw someone riding a bike over the Vicky bridge almost knocked a couple over, they actually had to stop because cyclists didn't 

#5 Aylestone Voice

Aylestone Voice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 24 August 2017

Spot on comments.

Cyclists have no regard for the Highway Code, the unwritten rules of the road and good manners.

After all it is as rare as hen's teeth to see a motorist jump a red light, enter a roundabout with no regard for any cyclist already on it, ignore the "yellow box", park on double yellow lines, park too close to a junction, drive too close to cyclists, force cyclists into the gutter, park across pavements or speeding. Not to mention pedestrians thinking it is quite reasonable to let their children and/or dogs wander across a shared cycleway with out any regard for those cyclists entitled to use it.

I say ban all cycling now and lets increase pollution and make a justification for a bypass 

#6 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 August 2017

Spot on comments.

Cyclists have no regard for the Highway Code, the unwritten rules of the road and good manners.

After all it is as rare as hen's teeth to see a motorist jump a red light, enter a roundabout with no regard for any cyclist already on it, ignore the "yellow box", park on double yellow lines, park too close to a junction, drive too close to cyclists, force cyclists into the gutter, park across pavements or speeding. Not to mention pedestrians thinking it is quite reasonable to let their children and/or dogs wander across a shared cycleway with out any regard for those cyclists entitled to use it.

I say ban all cycling now and lets increase pollution and make a justification for a bypass 

Spot on comment. Motorists kill 3000+ people every year, including cyclists, and its accepted that that’s just the way it is. Cyclists kill on average 3 people per year. The issue with bikes is that anyone aged from 6 to 100 can ride them - I doubt very much that any 15 year old pavement riding oik has even heard of the Highway Code, even assuming he can read. So, it's a question of education as much as anything. I don't condone law breaking, I don't do it when I'm on my bike but then I'm old school, but I will very occasionally ride on a pavement where the road is simply too dangerous to do otherwise (south of Belmont roundabout for instance), but I'll always stop/give way to any pedestrians. Just to correct some of the comments further up the thread - this IS allowed and the Police are well aware of it. I do regularly cycle over the Vicky Bridge, but only when there is no one on it, otherwise I'll walk - it's just a common courtesy (and in fact I did get a 'ruling' from the ward councillor that he would support this if it was ever challenged). I do have third party insurance for my own safety - I'm far more likely to be knocked off by a speeding Audi (very nearly, twice this year) than I am to cause an accident - but that's my choice and it would be impossible to make it compulsory, and nor should it be.

Edited by twowheelsgood, 24 August 2017 .

#7 herefordman75

herefordman75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationHereford Rural South

Posted 24 August 2017

Very valid points made from all, trouble is EVERY cyclist tends to get tarred with the same brush these days. I do ride occasionally (not much this year due to a 16 mile round trip commute and crappy weather on weekdays) and I will admit to riding on the pavement at times, especially along sections of Holme Lacy Road and occasionally Belmont Road. However, as a motorist as well, I still follow the highway code when it comes to crossings and traffic lights, waiting my turn with the rest of the traffic.

I think some form of road safety training should be compulsory in schools (I think some are already) with cycling related stuff from late primary school, and car related in late secondary level, and with the advent of VR software, then it could be reinforced quite well.

#8 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 August 2017

Spot on comments.

I agree hence my original comment: 

Yes, I know motorists are often no better but I do hear the cyclist claiming to be the victim just a little too frequent   

#9 Paul Jones

Paul Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 August 2017

Very valid points made from all, trouble is EVERY cyclist tends to get tarred with the same brush these days. I do ride occasionally (not much this year due to a 16 mile round trip commute and crappy weather on weekdays) and I will admit to riding on the pavement at times, especially along sections of Holme Lacy Road and occasionally Belmont Road. However, as a motorist as well, I still follow the highway code when it comes to crossings and traffic lights, waiting my turn with the rest of the traffic.

I think some form of road safety training should be compulsory in schools (I think some are already) with cycling related stuff from late primary school, and car related in late secondary level, and with the advent of VR software, then it could be reinforced quite well.

In fairness to this topic Colin has not said all cyclists, he has written "some cyclists" there is good and bad in all but I do hear of a lot of cyclists playing the victim card and because riding a bike appears to score additional brownie points by being eco friendly, many use this to justify their actions. The law should apply to all road users and just because one group of people tick all the nice boxes it should not make them exempt.

I see this guy has got off with the Manslaughter charges only yesterday, he has been found guilty of a smaller crime and will have a reduced punishment in comparison.

Motorists who break the law are issued fines and penalty points and in more severe cases are banned altogether, yet cyclists will only ever have fines if caught and small ones too! The law needs to be updated to include cyclists, particularly now that we are seeing an increase in bikes on the roads.

#10 Ubique

Ubique

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationWhere Right and Glory lead.

Posted 24 August 2017

Think that this is a very relevant Topic.

The majority of motorists and pedal cyclists comply with the Law 100% .

It's the small minority that let their side down,

About 6 months ago I was in the Pedestrian area of Commercial Road leading from High Town when I saw a Postman riding , I presume an issued Royal Mail pedal cycle, at the same time he appeared to be texting - therefore not looking where he was going .... Pedestrians were moving out of his way but the fixed Waste Bin by Nationwide wasn't ! The cycle hit the immovable object and the Postie slide forward off his saddle with a screech of pain !

Going on from that , most days I see cyclists riding on the pavement down Whitecross Rd / Eign St towards the town from the Sainsburys traffic lights dodging around the pedestrians . This will continue , I know , until a pedestrian is injured . There have been a number of verbal confrontations between the cyclists and pedestrians along this stretch of pavement.
Sir Winston Churchill-
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life".

#11 adamski

adamski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 August 2017

A few years ago, an old lady visiting Hereford, was knocked over by a cyclist near McDonald's I believe. Not sure of all the ins and outs, but if I remember correctly she sadly passed away as a result. There was a big hoohah, rightly so, and the police promised to take a very tough stance against cyclists in pedestrianised areas - this has not happened - many cyclists regularly in High Town etc. Can anyone fill in the blanks for me?

#12 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 24 August 2017

It's perfectly legal to cycle in High Town and Commercial Street before 10am and after 4.30pm.

#13 Maggie May

Maggie May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 August 2017

Like some other posters I ride a bike in and out of town as it is quicker than car driving and better healthwise for me and my fellow residents and I save £1,000s per year in parking fees and car costs. Like other posters I follow the Highway code and believe we should all respect each other. The minority of cyclists who behave badly should be dealt with the same way as motorists who break the law. However, perhaps we also need to ask why some cyclists don't follow the Highway code all the time and do things such as ride on the pavement. - a lack of safe segregated cycling infrastructure in Hereford as well as ignorance and little education on how to ride safely.

I am not excusing the cyclist in Colin's video but if  like me you have ever cycled over the old bridge with it's wide pavements and high kerb side car drivers have no room to overtake. These drivers then get frustrated because you are cycling and blocking their route. Cars come up very close behind you, blast their horn at you, etc. and when you are an older lady on a bike that is very intimidating. The same thing as someone else has said is cycling down Belmont Road from the Ruckall junction down to Tescos - I have tried cycling on the very poor surface on a number of times, having to stay away from the gutter to avoid the lethal potholes and all have I have received from motorists is horn blasting and abuse and telling me to "get off the f****** road". This is in the daytime at the weekend not at rush hour. I now cycle on this short stretch of footpath when I am in the area, though I get off if there are any pedestrians on it. I then avoid the rest of Belmont road and join the cycle path behind Belmont because this feels safer and there is space for both cyclists and pedestrians. 

Sadly the Council are spending £millions on new roads for car drivers and yet they have no money to make cycling around Hereford safer - they just put cyclists on the pavement with pedestrians. The new City Link Road is a good example - 4 lanes for vehicles and yet no space for a cycle path in the £30million project. 

#14 Chris Chappell

Chris Chappell

Advanced Member

• Councillor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 24 August 2017

I agree with a great deal of what has been said.

I have asked the police to arrest the drivers coming through the Saxon Gate bus only route, throw the keys away and maybe a child or someone's parents will not be killed or maimed. The signs are perfectly clear, they must have read the Highway Code to pass the driving test, therefore, outwardly perfectly decent men and women are no better than common criminals. Lovely people, have their own businesses, on the PTA, look after their aging parents, lovely kids, but the chance is there to take a short cut and break the law and driving code. Anyone you know!
People complain to me about cars being up for sale by shops in Holmelacy Road. This makes it particularly dangerous as other car drivers come into area only to find there are no spaces. I have done what I can to stop these selfish drivers taking up parking spaces 24/7. Some days I watch and cringe as I watch some pedestrian almost get run over because of car movements in the park. It is still the highway not an area for selling cars! Yet I am sure these people selling their cars are pillars of society who want to imprison law breakers.

Now before you all jump down my throat, the same applies to cyclists who ride along pavements and knock over pedestrians. There does have to be some give and take. How on earth can the cops be on every street you want them to be on? Even before cut backs and when bobbies were in their 'Z' cars in the 60's, they were never on every street booking cyclists or poor drivers.

Cyclists get a bad press largely because they are not driving cars. But with such a poor standard of driving around, drivers being impatient, break and indicator lights not replaced, is it surprising that cyclists use the pavement to ride on. But please, use your breaks and bells.
Now that Holmelacy road has three Tucan crossings, there can be no reason to cross the road several yards from those crossings, can there? Drivers having to jump on breaks, cyclists having to swerve to avoid pedestrian in mid road while the Tucan crossing lights are still on green!!'
So, I have probably managed to offend most of you, that was the intention! We are all guilty of inconsiderate,thoughtless use of the highway, of which the pavements are part. I have constituents across south wye demanding I do something about irresponsible parking. I am, but suspect that when the plans are produced, several will complain about what is being proposed!

We are only ten days away from taking the kids to school by car because we have at least a quarter of a mile to walk. Poor darlings, they get safely closely to the school in the car then run over by a car who is being driven by a parent who is trying to get their child safely to school! When all the time they would have been a lot more healthy walking to school and learning how to respect the highway.
So yes, there is a problem. New restrictions shortly to come in in Belmont Road near shops, but who is going to police them, well all of us can if we drive our car/ bike safely . Not sure how This will all work out but can't see many getting out of their cars to help solve the problem.
But I hope to be proved wrong!!

#15 Aylestone Voice

Aylestone Voice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 25 August 2017

Like some other posters I ride a bike in and out of town as it is quicker than car driving and better healthwise for me and my fellow residents and I save £1,000s per year in parking fees and car costs. Like other posters I follow the Highway code and believe we should all respect each other. The minority of cyclists who behave badly should be dealt with the same way as motorists who break the law. However, perhaps we also need to ask why some cyclists don't follow the Highway code all the time and do things such as ride on the pavement. - a lack of safe segregated cycling infrastructure in Hereford as well as ignorance and little education on how to ride safely.

I am not excusing the cyclist in Colin's video but if  like me you have ever cycled over the old bridge with it's wide pavements and high kerb side car drivers have no room to overtake. These drivers then get frustrated because you are cycling and blocking their route. Cars come up very close behind you, blast their horn at you, etc. and when you are an older lady on a bike that is very intimidating. The same thing as someone else has said is cycling down Belmont Road from the Ruckall junction down to Tescos - I have tried cycling on the very poor surface on a number of times, having to stay away from the gutter to avoid the lethal potholes and all have I have received from motorists is horn blasting and abuse and telling me to "get off the f****** road". This is in the daytime at the weekend not at rush hour. I now cycle on this short stretch of footpath when I am in the area, though I get off if there are any pedestrians on it. I then avoid the rest of Belmont road and join the cycle path behind Belmont because this feels safer and there is space for both cyclists and pedestrians. 

Sadly the Council are spending £millions on new roads for car drivers and yet they have no money to make cycling around Hereford safer - they just put cyclists on the pavement with pedestrians. The new City Link Road is a good example - 4 lanes for vehicles and yet no space for a cycle path in the £30million project. 

There will be a shared pedestrian/cycle path on the link road from Aylestone Hill to Edgar Street

#16 Maggie May

Maggie May

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 25 August 2017

There will be a shared pedestrian/cycle path on the link road from Aylestone Hill to Edgar Street

But isn't this what everyone complains about - cyclists and pedestrians on the same footpath? If you look at the City Link Road film along the route some of the residential properties front doors would open straight out onto the footpath. I am not a fast cyclist but imagine someone in a hurry trying to get to the station for a train - they will be going alot faster than a pedestrian. To avoid pedestrians the cyclist then has to cycle in the road and motorists will then complain that the cyclists aren't using the inadequate cycling provision provided. If they cycle on the pavement they pose a risk to pedestrians. This is why new roads are supposed to include safe and segregated cycling infrastructure and with 4 lanes there is certainly the road width to do this. 

#17 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 25 August 2017

Tonight's criminals

Driving home tonight I passed two cyclists both on the footpaths and both with no lights. 

The first cyclist is a woman riding on the left footpath (coming towards you) just after the car passes the shop on the right, I have slowed the video down but you still may struggle to see her, so if you're struggling to see her so is everyone else...

The second cyclists you will see on the right-hand footpath (coming towards you) just after McDonalds, again you will have to look hard to spot him.

Ignore the timestamp on the video, it has not been set.

#18 M. Preece

M. Preece

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 25 August 2017

Riding on the pavement is bad enough but at night without lights is pretty irresponsible to be honest  

#19 George Armstrong

George Armstrong

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 August 2017

Colin, The guy at the Asda Roundabout sitting on his bike at the Crossing... that's a Pedestrian & Cycle Crossing, and he's doing nothing wrong.

#20 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 28 August 2017

Colin, The guy at the Asda Roundabout sitting on his bike at the Crossing... that's a Pedestrian & Cycle Crossing, and he's doing nothing wrong.

Yes just read about that in the highway code. I have now removed this as I thought it was illegal, however, the riding on footpaths, ignoring traffic signals and junctions and riding without lights is illegal.

Cyclists Jumps Red Light.jpg

I missed adding this one from the other night but here is yet another cyclist thought it was okay to ride straight through this red traffic light signal on the narrow bridge.

#21 Colin James

Colin James

Administrator

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 28 August 2017

Friday morning at 0740 during the first part of the rush hour, this cyclist was riding on the footpath on the left heading north, then he dropped down from the kerb moving in between the cars, then he went straight over the road and mounted the kerb the other side almost collides with the other criminal cyclist coming along the footpath in the other direction. 

Belmont Road Cyclists.JPG

Footpath Cyclists.jpg

Then a few hours later heading north just at the Oval crossing I see this chap, clearly not going to bother using the crossing properly but then decides he is not going to get around the railings so now he will use the road, in the meantime, I will just guess what you are doing.

Belmont Road Cyclist 1.jpg

Belmont Road Cyclist 2.jpg

Later in afternoon at 2pm I had to go the other side of the city to collect some heavy goods and spotted this pavement rider at the same spot, this time on the opposite pavement near the Oval 

Belmont Road Cyclist 3.jpg

Virtually everytime I am out, I see this happening.

#22 Paul Jones

Paul Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 28 August 2017

When I was young, the police would stop us and tell us to dismount if we were seen on the footpaths and we were just kids, so they should be saying the same to these adults today. I appreciate what everyone says about motorists but this discussion is about cyclists ignoring the highway code and I agree that they ALWAYS play the victim and portray the motorist as the bad guy. There are many accidents where cyclists are injured and killed by motorists but a lot of these may be caused by the cyclists themselves not abiding by the rules I wonder if anyone thought of that and took that into account with their percentages and figures.

I see many cyclists breaking the law all the time.

#23 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

Please stop calling these people ‘criminals’ - they are not. Cycling on the pavement is not a criminal offence. The Chief Police Officer has the discretion to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) to an offender with a £50 fine. That does not make you a criminal nor give you a criminal record, assuming you pay the fine. Other offences such as riding through red lights also carry a FPN fine. Accepted this is a simple summary of the law and a case may have extenuating circumstances which may make it more serious.

FPN Guidance says "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle.

Further, the Highway Code is not a legal absolute, it is not of itself a statement of the law, but a combination of both advice and mandatory rules which apply to all road users in the UK.

In the interests of balanced reporting, can we have thread titled 'Highway Code Doesn't Apply To Some Motorists Then?’.

#24 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 29 August 2017

When I was young, the police would stop us and tell us to dismount if we were seen on the footpaths and we were just kids, so they should be saying the same to these adults today. I appreciate what everyone says about motorists but this discussion is about cyclists ignoring the highway code and I agree that they ALWAYS play the victim and portray the motorist as the bad guy. There are many accidents where cyclists are injured and killed by motorists but a lot of these may be caused by the cyclists themselves not abiding by the rules I wonder if anyone thought of that and took that into account with their percentages and figures.

I see many cyclists breaking the law all the time.

My younger brother was taken to court aged 10 and fined £5 for cycling on the pavement in Whittern Way.

#25 K.Butt

K.Butt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 29 August 2017

My younger brother was taken to court aged 10 and fined £5 for cycling on the pavement in Whittern Way.

So he committed a crime then? So it is a criminal offence?

#26 K.Butt

K.Butt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationHereford

Posted 29 August 2017

Please stop calling these people ‘criminals’ - they are not. Cycling on the pavement is not a criminal offence. The Chief Police Officer has the discretion to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) to an offender with a £50 fine. That does not make you a criminal nor give you a criminal record, assuming you pay the fine. Other offences such as riding through red lights also carry a FPN fine. Accepted this is a simple summary of the law and a case may have extenuating circumstances which may make it more serious.

FPN Guidance says "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle.

Further, the Highway Code is not a legal absolute, it is not of itself a statement of the law, but a combination of both advice and mandatory rules which apply to all road users in the UK.

In the interests of balanced reporting, can we have thread titled 'Highway Code Doesn't Apply To Some Motorists Then?’.

Riding on a footpath at night without lights is not a criminal offence?

#27 ragwert

ragwert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • LocationEreford

Posted 29 August 2017

So he committed a crime then? So it is a criminal offence?

As I remember he was seen by a woman pc and told to get off the pavement and she caught him again coming back from shops.
Can clearly remember the court summons hand delivered by PC Baker.My brother is 50 this year so this was 40 yrs ago.

#28 George Armstrong

George Armstrong

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

It is a criminal offence, albeit not a very serious one. End of.

#29 twowheelsgood

twowheelsgood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

Riding on a footpath at night without lights is not a criminal offence?

No, it isn't. The offender would still be liable for a Fixed Penalty Fine for riding on a pavement.

#30 George Armstrong

George Armstrong

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 29 August 2017

Fixed Penalty Notices are disposals for criminal offences. The Road Traffic Acts and other delegated legislative measures are not civil law but create criminal offences.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crime, Hereford

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users